Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

05 automatic EX special edition oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic15 is an unknown quantity at this point
05 automatic EX special edition oil pan

my 260,000 mile 2005 Honda Civic ex special edition automatic sedan apparently has a defective oil plug that can’t be repaired.

the shop that told me this (who I went to for tires but had them do an oil change also..) quoted me $800 to replace the oil pan, $500 for the pan, the rest for labor.

thats hard to swallow considering I once bought a 219k 1995 Civic ex coupe for $900... so at what point do I give up on this civic?

anyway, while in sticker shock over a $500 oil pan, and being told that the EX for whatever reason uses an aluminum pan that is different than both the dx/lx and si, I did a quick search on rockauto.com and saw allegedly compatible pans for $60-135....

amazingly the shop that gave me that quote first said they would install parts I order myself... which I didn’t think any shops did, but then in person another clerk was more hesitant pointing out the obvious, that if I order the wrong thing my car will be taking up a lift and won’t be able to be moved...

so the pressure sure is on (currently approaching 1k passed my oil change mileage) to either pay up, or save money by ordering... correctly.

rockauto, advanced auto parts, pep boys, and random google searches come up with sub $150 oil pans, but are sketchy in the details as to whether they are specifically for the EX. Oreilly has one, for $310, which makes me wonder if maybe my shops quote wasn’t so high after all, maybe this aluminum oil pan is just a rare and unnecessarily expensive component on my 127hp commuter car...

but still, my one last attempt to save $400.... can anyone guide me to the correct pan online?

thanks
Old 06-17-2018
Registered!!

Re: 05 automatic EX special edition oil pan

Napa auto parts is $424.

so now I’m leaning toward the reality just being that the aluminum pan for my car is expensive..

ill double check rockauto but..
Old 06-17-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Research "time sert" thread repair kit for oil pan drain plug threads
Old 06-17-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Doubt you would need to spend more than $50 to pull one off a junkyard EX.

Overall it’s pretty easy to get too, loosen down pipe if it’s even still there, like 8 bolts holding engine tranny brace on then about 18 10mm nuts and bolts and break the Hondabond liquid gasket and it’s off.

I dont think you have to remove the crank bolt/ harmonic pulley but you might and while that only adds a small bit work, it’s a few more tools.
Old 06-17-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Either junkyard or get one off rock auto, just don't buy the cheapest one they have. Very easy to swap yourself
Old 07-11-2018
Registered!!

Insane...

my first quote for for a new oil pan was $800, $500 for the pan.

I called around to find somewhere that would repair the threads, no one would.

so I assumed that just isn’t done anymore or maybe can’t be done on aluminum.

so I called a shop with a good rep and ultimately was quoted $380 for a new pan, total (at first he said wow Honda wants a lot, $470, but there’s an aftermarket option.... which pisses me off that the first shop didn’t offer a aftermarket option or.....)

so I make the appt..... show up and the guy told me instead of $380 he was charging me $120 (hour labor, oil change, thread repair kit).

anyway, so now the plug is “good as new”, I have relatively new tires.... so I gotta stick it out with this car a while longer.

the good news for anyone else with a seventh gen... I have 263,xxx miles and the tranny and engine seem as strong as ever!
Old 07-16-2018
Registered!!

Also was just able to squeeze 477 miles out of one tank (with allegedly 1.7gal left) for an average of 40.78mpg! Although I usually average 33.
Old 07-25-2018
Registered!!

Aaaaand the oil plug is leaking. So maybe u can’t rethread an aluminum pan
Old 07-25-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

how did they repair the threads?
repair plug?
piggy back plug?
bring it back to the shop and see what the mechanic says?

this is still an option

Originally Posted by Colin42
Either junkyard or get one off rock auto, just don't buy the cheapest one they have. Very easy to swap yourself
Old 07-25-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Civic15

so I called a shop with a good rep and ultimately was quoted $380 for a new pan, total (at first he said wow Honda wants a lot, $470, but there’s an aftermarket option.... which pisses me off that the first shop didn’t offer a aftermarket option or.....)

thread repair kit).

anyway, so now the plug is “good as new”,
Originally Posted by Civic15
Aaaaand the oil plug is leaking. So maybe u can’t rethread an aluminum pan
Oversize drain plugs are a crap repair. Temporary at best IMO.
And still possible the drainplug gasket is leaking but the threads are ok.

What happened to the aftermarket pan replacement that shop offered? WHY wasn't this done?
Old 07-25-2018
Registered!!

The shop had my number but didintvthink so, so the appointment was for the aftermarket pan replacement but when he noticed temporary plug and didn’t see any other damage he took it upon himself to just use a thread repair kit with a larger plug. He said it was good as new.
Old 07-25-2018

Take it back to the shop that "fixed" it. They apparently need to do more work to actually fix it