Brakes Post Your questions about brakes here!

No brakes after bleeding them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civ_ is an unknown quantity at this point
No brakes after bleeding them?

Recently my brakes were feeling spongey and non-responsive (almost like no braking power at all). I changed the driver side rotor and pads. So I read online that it is time for a brake fluid bleed. Looked up how that was done and began the process. I topped off the brake fluid reservoir with new brake fluid. The brake fluid remaining in there was black. So then with the driver side wheel off I loosened the brake bleeder valve and put a clear plastic tube on it and attached that to a water bottle with an air hole. Then I began pumping the brakes, lots of black fluid came out and I saw bubbles in the hose. After that it seemed the brake fluid was clear and no bubbles, I removed the hose tighten the brake bleeder screw and proceeded to the passenger side. Did the same thing, and kept topping off the brake fluid each time. Then did the driver side rear, then the passenger side rear. Started the car up and brakes seemed a little more responsive but still barely braking enough to stop. A problem I had when bleeding the other was that they were a different size valve, so when I pumped the brake the clear plastic tubing didn't completely fit snug on the nut, so it seemed like air was getting it because when I had someone press on the brakes it was just none stop bubbles throughout. Then when that didn't work, I removed each tire and removed the bleeder valve screw completely. And let each one drain out over night to get all the trapped air out. Then this morning I put on all the bleeder valve screwed and then tires. Start it up and no brakes at all, absolutely none. How can I fix this? why are their absolutely no brakes now?

Thank you

Last edited by Civ_; 06-16-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: No brakes after bleeding them?

Originally Posted by Civ_
I removed each tire and removed the bleeder valve screw completely. And let each one drain out over night to get all the trapped air out
This is why DIY and brakes are not always a good combo.

When you opened, removed , loosened the bleeder screws and walked away, the brake fluid in your master cylinder was replaced by air as well as which ever three wheels were higher elevation got a lot of air in them and the lowest wheel still had enough air in it to be very spongy.

Sorry, but your lack of understanding on how it’s supposed to work means the only recommendation I can give it to have your car towed to your local shop or call in a mobile mechanic.
Old 06-16-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

wow...

let someone that knows what they are doing to handle it...

new pads and/or rotors takes some time until they grab...
Old 06-16-2018
Registered!!

dex03civ is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 06-17-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic

This is why DIY and brakes are not always a good combo.

When you opened, removed , loosened the bleeder screws and walked away, the brake fluid in your master cylinder was replaced by air as well as which ever three wheels were higher elevation got a lot of air in them and the lowest wheel still had enough air in it to be very spongy.

Sorry, but your lack of understanding on how it’s supposed to work means the only recommendation I can give it to have your car towed to your local shop or call in a mobile mechanic.
At this point couldn't I do the bleeding process again with better fitting plastic tubing? I believe that was part of the problem.
Old 06-17-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
wow...

let someone that knows what they are doing to handle it...

new pads and/or rotors takes some time until they grab...
I'd rather learn it myself. I realize I made a mistake. How would you go about fixing it from this point?
Old 06-17-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

You said "...I removed the hose tighten the brake bleeder screw...", this was probably the first mistake.

You never want air to touch the bleeder while it is open. You should have left a wrench on the bleeder, with the hose attached, opened the bleeder, pumped the brakes until the line is clear/bubble free, closed the bleeder, removed the hose, test to make sure bleeder is not leaking.

Try it again and make sure to use a smaller hose for the rear.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Get a friend that have done it to help.
Old 06-18-2018
Registered!!

Get a friend that have done it to help.
I'll ask a guy I know. but also what is the difficulty here in this job? If this were you, how would you go about fixing the problem as it stands now?
Old 06-18-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

ask your friend.
he at the least can stop you before you do something you should not do.

don't try it again alone.

Name:  MWVSJyM.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  21.0 KB
Old 06-18-2018
Registered!!

ask your friend.
he at the least can stop you before you do something you should not do.

don't try it again alone.

Hahahaha. Have the hoses now. Any more advice, side from the dog ballz?
Old 06-18-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

don't let air in.