Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your safety, security questions here! Airbags, Keys (immobilizer)

SRS on, no error?

Old 03-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazyone64 is an unknown quantity at this point
SRS on, no error?

Hi

I reset the SRS light on my 01 Civic using the paper clip method to the yellow plug under the dash.
Seconds later the light comes back on and stays on.
The SRS did not blink then, or when the key is turned, b4 ignition.

Would that imply 1-1 from the DTC list i came across?
Old 03-04-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SRS on, no error?

nope. You have to jump pins 4 and 9 on the obd port to read codes

follow this thread (and the linked thread) to figure out what's making your srs light illuminate
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ding-them.html

I'm willing to bet it's driver side seatbelt.
Old 03-04-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

but code readers are getting quite cheap to not to use them, or to stop at an auto parts shop and ask to have the codes being read. If you choose to buy one, be sure that it will read SRS codes.
Old 03-05-2018
Registered!!

Thanks,

Is this the correct approach:
Car off,
Jump pins 4 & 9 as shown in the diagram,
Car put into on position, b4 ignition start.
Blinking SRS would appear giving me the error code?

I called one of the shops, they only read ODB2

Last edited by crazyone64; 03-05-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

2001 is OBDII
OBD 1 is up to 1995
(at the least, in US - where is the car from?)
Old 03-05-2018
Registered!!

You are 100% correct.
9-3 Drivers Side Seatbelt Buckle Switch

I read people paid hundreds at the dealer, $400 was the latest thread i read which i can't justify paying.

Thoughts on purchasing a new seatbelt buckle and installing myself? Seems fairly easy.
Old 03-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

OBD2 only refers to On Board Diagnostics for the powertrain (engine and transmissions)

SRS has nothing to do with OBD2, other than its electronically accessed with a scanner via the same data link connector (OBD2 diagnostic port).

Many low cost consumer grade code readers and scanners are available that are capable of reading codes from systems like SRS and ABS.

Hell, I just got a batch of Harbor Freight coupons in my email advertising some new scanner they carry that does all 3 of those.

Buckle replacement, easy IMO. Usually have to get the seat off the floor, but it's not hard.
Old 03-05-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazyone64
You are 100% correct.
9-3 Drivers Side Seatbelt Buckle Switch

I read people paid hundreds at the dealer, $400 was the latest thread i read which i can't justify paying.

Thoughts on purchasing a new seatbelt buckle and installing myself? Seems fairly easy.
Ebay. Maybe $50. One bolt holds it in place and one electrical connector.

edit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CIVIC...5VHD5a&vxp=mtr
$45 shipped for a black one. Saw a grey one for the same price
Old 03-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Would this be covered under the lifetime seatbelt warranty?

My 03 ACURA EL got this code 5 years ago and the dealer paid for the part and I paid the labour. We don't have the lifetime warranty in Canada.
Old 03-06-2018
Registered!!

Thanks all, I bought off ebay
Old 03-17-2018
Registered!!

Update: I installed the buckle, reset the srs light and it remains off

Thanks again! Issue resolved
Old 09-14-2018
Registered!!

hiac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crazyone64
Update: I installed the buckle, reset the srs light and it remains off

Thanks again! Issue resolved
Hey, I have same issue in my honda civic 02. Sometimes it's hard to push the metal buckle into the base. I have to try a few time to make it work.

I am curious which part you purchase. if you have a link to ebay that will be ideal

thank you!
Old 09-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hiac
Hey, I have same issue in my honda civic 02. Sometimes it's hard to push the metal buckle into the base. I have to try a few time to make it work.

I am curious which part you purchase. if you have a link to ebay that will be ideal

thank you!
In the USA
A mechanical fault with the buckle (the part attached to the seat) it should be covered under Hondas eternal seat belt warranty. As long as the buckle won't click and lock the seat belt securely a dealer will probably take care of it at no cost to you.

See your owners manual and original warranty info for more details
Old 09-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

If your handy, take it out, take it apart, clean it thoughly with electrical contact cleaner (esp the little micro switch inside) and use a liberal amount of spray graphite to relubricate the mechanism.

If you end up ordering one from eBay or taking out from a junkyard, you could still do the above steps..

But if you can get the dealer to do it for free..