Auto Transmission failures Post your issues with auto transmission failures here. 01-03 have had a high failure rates

03 Transmission Flair 2-3 and 3-4

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jfulford1 is an unknown quantity at this point
03 Transmission Flair 2-3 and 3-4

Hello.
I've read assorted forums and seen a lot of info on slipping trans but not mine(or I just missed it, which wouldn't be unusual.) I have an 03 LX with 122K on it. Since around 100K it has been "flaring" from 2 to 3rd, and 3rd to 4rth, not unlike a manual where you don't let off the gas when you shift gears. Other than that, it seems to function fined. I have put up with this for this long and got ready to rebuild a trans(one sitting on the bench from the yard), but it just doesn't want to give up. I've driven 2 or 3 hours and it functions perfectly. Just that damn 2-3 and 3-4 issue. Any fixes for this short of a rebuild? I've investigate the assorted solenoids, but they don't seem to have anything to do with my issues. Any ideas?
Thanks
jeff
Old 03-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 03 Transmission Flair 2-3 and 3-4

What has been the auto trans fluid (ATF) maintenance on this transmission?

Recommended to drain and fill with Honda DW-1 ATF every third oil change. If you haven't, then a drain and fill of DW-1 with driving through all gears times 3 is recommended. This will get most of the ATF replenished with Honda's new ATF (old one was Z-1).

DO NOT FLUSH THIS TRANSMISSION.

If this does not help, chances are good that your transmissions internal screens and filter are clogged with clutch debris and are restricting smooth operation.
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
What has been the auto trans fluid (ATF) maintenance on this transmission?

Recommended to drain and fill with Honda DW-1 ATF every third oil change. If you haven't, then a drain and fill of DW-1 with driving through all gears times 3 is recommended. This will get most of the ATF replenished with Honda's new ATF (old one was Z-1).

DO NOT FLUSH THIS TRANSMISSION.

If this does not help, chances are good that your transmissions internal screens and filter are clogged with clutch debris and are restricting smooth operation.

Thanks for the Reply! My friend of over 40 years purchased this car new(I helped). I have worked on it since 03 from time to time. He had most of his maintenance done at either Firestone or the Dealer.
I have his receipts and I can find only 2 referring to trans fluid replacement: Firestone MAXAtf at 59K and the Dealer with DW-1 "drum" replacement at 95K. I'm not sure if this was a full replacement because they only charged $26 for this line item.
I had an oil report done a couple of months ago. Here's the text:

JEFF: Thanks for the notes. Based on wear levels and additives, we wonder if this is the factory fill for this
transmission. If so, the extra metal and silicon are from the initial wear-in process and any accumulation
over the last 121,900 miles of oil use. That's probably the case if you aren't having any issues with this unit.
If you are, then maybe this oil wasn't in use as long and we're seeing excess wear. Universal averages
show typical wear levels after ~23,000 miles of oil use. Insolubles were high at 0.2%, so this was a good
time to change the oil. Try ~20K miles next

So, if I replace the fluid again, completely(I only got 3 quarts of DW-1 in it when I changed it after I got it), were you saying to go through the gears BEFORE draining or During draining? I know you said no flush.
Thanks for the help,
jeff
Old 03-05-2018
Registered!!

NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Here is what I would do (all with Honda ATF DW-1):

Drain and fill and wipe off drain plug magnet. Go for a drive - cycling through all gears and reverse.

Repeat above.

Repeat above.

This should introduce 60-70% new ATF and hopefully reduce the flaring.
Old 03-07-2018
Registered!!

NDNV,
So, drain and fill 3xs with driving in between each drain and fill? Will give it a try and let you know how it goes.
jeff
Old 03-07-2018
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^ That is a Honda flush.
Old 03-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

What ever happened to popping off one of the cooler lines and letting the transmission pump itself 3/4 empty?
Old 03-19-2018
Registered!!

I did the "3" flush and fills as referred to from above. No changes as far as I can tell. Kinda of in the position of replace the tranny and/or torque converter.
jeff
Old 03-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

I fixed quite a few slipping transmissions by putting Seafoam Trans-Tune in. All it does is clean any dirty parts. I’ve never seen it do any harm, so I’d try it first. It won’t help if something is worn out or broken, but it removes buildup. Any additives that just thicken or “condition” the fluid, like Lucas, won’t do anything but cause problems.
Old 03-19-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jfulford1
Kinda of in the position of replace the tranny and/or torque converter.
jeff
Replacement trans had better come with a torque converter!
Run away if it doesn't.

Don't forget to thoroughly flush out your trans cooler, you doin't want leftover debris from this trans failure to contaminate a new/good trans
Old 03-19-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone

Don't forget to thoroughly flush out your trans cooler, you doin't want leftover debris from this trans failure to contaminate a new/good trans
I’d actually suggest either replacing the radiator, or getting an external trans cooler and not using the one in the rad. Flushing the cooler might not remove all the debris, and it doesn’t take much to destroy a transmission.

Old 03-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Kinda of in the position of replace the tranny and/or torque converter.
jeff
Consider bypassing the hoses going to the radiator cooler before replacing everything. If it’s partially clogged up it might be enough to cause a issue.

if you do decide to replace, replace everything. Trans, torque, radiator and hoses so that you don’t have any carryover issues.
Old 03-19-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic

Consider bypassing the hoses going to the radiator cooler before replacing everything. If it’s partially clogged up it might be enough to cause a issue.

if you do decide to replace, replace everything. Trans, torque, radiator and hoses so that you don’t have any carryover issues.
Great advice. Like I said, it doesn’t take much debris to destroy a transmission.
Old 03-19-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Our shop has a dedicated trans cooler flushing machine

Some of Hondas reman transmissions come with an additional filter to be installed in the cooler line to trap any stray debris before it finds its way back into the new transmission

At least one reman company we have dealt with requires installation of an external trans cooler to keep their warranty in effect
Old 03-19-2018
Registered!!

Our shop has a dedicated trans cooler flushing machine

Some of Hondas reman transmissions come with an additional filter to be installed in the cooler line to trap any stray debris before it finds its way back into the new transmission

At least one reman company we have dealt with requires installation of an external trans cooler to keep their warranty in effect
Well I cut open a cooler from a bad transmission after I flushed it just as an experiment, and there was a brass wool type material in it that trapped a LOT of black particles. If I have an opportunity to, I will repeat the experiment on another cooler too. IMO, the $25 or whatever you would spend on a filter would be better put towards an external transmission cooler. A quality trans cooler doesn't cost much, but transmissions cost a fortune.
Old 03-20-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
IMO, the $25 or whatever you would spend on a filter would be better put towards an external transmission cooler. A quality trans cooler doesn't cost much, but transmissions cost a fortune.
Coming from someone who won't put the proper power steering fluid in his own car
Old 03-20-2018
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

How well will a cooler stop debris ?

2 Items, with 2 separate jobs.
Old 03-20-2018

Originally Posted by CraigW
How well will a cooler stop debris ?
A fluid cooler can trap a lot of debris, and that debris can work its way through the cooler
Well I cut open a cooler
Maybe there are pics of this?
Old 03-20-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Coming from someone who won't put the proper power steering fluid in his own car
Not relevant to this discussion. There is a difference between what I would do to my own cars, and what I would suggest to someone else or do to someone else’s car. However, ​​​​​I actually did flush it and use approved fluid the next day. The system had moisture in it from being open, so the ATF was just used to flush it because I have plenty of extra. I’m not going to run 2 quarts of expensive Honda fluid through it just to push water out.
Old 03-20-2018
Registered!!

A fluid cooler can trap a lot of debris, and that debris can work its way through the cooler

Maybe there are pics of this?
I can’t remember for sure if I still have the cooler, I think I do. If I do, I’ll post pictures.
Old 03-20-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Not relevant to this discussion. There is a difference between what I would do to my own cars, and what I would suggest to someone else or do to someone else’s car. However, ​​​​​I actually did flush it and use approved fluid the next day. The system had moisture in it from being open, so the ATF was just used to flush it because I have plenty of extra. I’m not going to run 2 quarts of expensive Honda fluid through it just to push water out.
Glad you fixed that, it was never explained in the original thread.
Old 03-20-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Glad you fixed that, it was never explained in the original thread.
Sorry I wasn’t clear. I was asking more what the difference in the fluids is.
Old 03-20-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for all the great advice! I totally forgot about the cooler. Will update the forum when I get to this(probably a month or so, depending on the Transmission.
jeff
Old 03-20-2018
Registered!!

I fixed quite a few slipping transmissions by putting Seafoam Trans-Tune in. All it does is clean any dirty parts. I’ve never seen it do any harm, so I’d try it first. It won’t help if something is worn out or broken, but it removes buildup. Any additives that just thicken or “condition” the fluid, like Lucas, won’t do anything but cause problems.
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure it can hurt. I will try this and update.
Thanks,
jeff
Old 03-20-2018
Registered!!

Thanks,
jeff
It won’t hurt anything, and it has a good chance of fixing it as long as there isn’t glitter in the fluid or something like that. Just put half the can in the trans fluid and take it for a drive. It may take a few hundred miles to work, but I believe it has a money back guarantee if it doesn’t.

Old 04-03-2018
Registered!!

Thanks,
jeff
I've put about 100 miles on the trans since the Seafoam; no changes in slippage in 2-3 and 3-4. I'm going to rebuild the core I have now. Any opinions on the best rebuild kit to get? I'm seeing a lot of Tranmaxx and Precision; will these suffice or should I go with a different one? I want to replace both the clutches and the steels.
Thanks
jeff
Old 04-03-2018
Registered!!

I've put about 100 miles on the trans since the Seafoam; no changes in slippage in 2-3 and 3-4. I'm going to rebuild the core I have now. Any opinions on the best rebuild kit to get? I'm seeing a lot of Tranmaxx and Precision; will these suffice or should I go with a different one? I want to replace both the clutches and the steels.
Thanks
jeff
Sorry the Seafoam didn’t work. Maybe try bypassing the cooler and go for a short drive. The cooler might be plugged. Also, I’m not sure about which rebuild kits are best, but rebuilding a transmission is far from simple. I’m not saying you can’t do it, I just want you to know that it’s far from simple, and requires a lot of special tools.

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 04-03-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2018
Registered!!

Make sure to use the internal ATF filter from the 04/05 trans as it is bigger than the original filter and will catch more debris.
Old 04-04-2018
Registered!!

There are diagrams of the difference in internal ATF filters in this thread... https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...sues-05-a.html
Old 04-07-2018
Registered!!

No worries with the seafoam; it was worth a try. I will use the larger filter from the 04/05. And thanks for the diagrams!
Will try to take pics and notes while doing this and maybe post it if I don't completely toast it...
Thanks again,
jeff