View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: Running rich- Please help!

Originally Posted by ezone
If the cam becomes advanced by a tooth it may not be real noticeable.

OTOH if the cam becomes retarded by a tooth it's usually real noticeable.

jumping 2 teeth or more can cause some PCMs to shut the engine down due to cam-crank signals too far out of sync...
I did not know that, thanks for letting me know. That would explain my crappy gas mileage if the timing is off.
Old 02-13-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I should have mentioned distributors.....On a distributor type ignition that's driven off the back of the cam, retarded cam timing usually causes significant power loss because the distributor retarded ignition timing by the same amount the cam timing changed. (maybe 10-20 degrees, depending on tooth count)

Advanced camshaft timing effects can be masked somewhat by advanced ignition timing.

On an engine that is distributorless like the D17, I can't really say for sure just how much power loss can be expected if the cam is off a tooth either way.
Old 02-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
The EGR is blocked off for now, so it can't be leaking. Any other ideas?
I am having a ball trying to keep up with all your modifications to this poor little granny grocery getter.

Maybe I should buy another rear ended one but this time turn it into a pseudo el civico by cutting out the rear and making it a mini pickup.
Old 02-13-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The EGR is blocked off for now, so it can't be leaking. Any other ideas?
WHY is it blocked off?
Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic

I am having a ball trying to keep up with all your modifications to this poor little granny grocery getter.
I did not block off the EGR on purpose. I realize that there isn't advantage to blocking it off. The OEM water outlet cracked, so I put on an extra, but the only one I had didn't have EGR. Hmm, let's see. What's more harmful? No EGR, or no coolant? Tough choice...
Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Well considering I am not sure your ECU was mapped for a EGR engine or a non EGR engine it literally doesn’t matter.

Recycling some exhaust gas allows the computer to regulate air fuel ratios which is what your thread is about...

Not saying egr going to give back your fuel economy, but coupled with all your other mods, why would you expect the computer to give perfect mileage when nothing it is programmed for is working as intended.

Old 02-15-2018
Registered!!

Well considering I am not sure your ECU was mapped for a EGR engine or a non EGR engine it literally doesn’t matter.

Recycling some exhaust gas allows the computer to regulate air fuel ratios which is what your thread is about...

Not saying egr going to give back your fuel economy, but coupled with all your other mods, why would you expect the computer to give perfect mileage when nothing it is programmed for is working as intended.

If anything, no EGR valve would cause a lean condition because exhaust gas contains no significant amount of oxygen and therefore doesn’t require fuel, and air does. Also, the EGR system has been non functional for over 2 years, and the gas mileage has only been bad for the last year.
Old 02-15-2018
Registered!!

I recently put an oxygen sensor on my 2005 Civic LX with a D17A2 since the one that was on it failed. My problem is that now that’s the oxygen sensor is in

So by recently you are saying over a year ago when you put in the oxygen sensor and have had poor gas mileage since?

I completely agree your likely best course here is to install an adjustable fuel pressure valve on your fuel line and slowly crank it down till your getting the expected af ratio.

JDM 1-140psi model for $25
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jdm-Univers...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

You said it was still getting richer under load which is exactly what it should do so by reducing the baseline pressure you can lean it out across the board.

Last edited by Slumpertcivic; 02-15-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Updated url
Old 02-15-2018

Link blocked or failed, I can't see anything.
Old 02-15-2018
Registered!!

Is having swear words on my car legal?

Long story short, someone deeply scratched “F*** U COPZ” on my back bumper. It is very obvious, it’s written in huge letters across the whole back bumper. I already filed a police report, but I am afraid of getting hassled because of this. So my question is am I likely to get hassled for this? Thanks.
Old 02-15-2018
Registered!!

Last edited by Slumpertcivic; 02-15-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2018

Why does their picture say "this item for turbo blow off valves"?

At any rate, based on what he's said so far it appears D17 dude has a deeper issue causing the MAP reading to be too high.
(I expect a mechanical problem, but it could very well be electrical)

That higher than normal 1.1v MAP reading at idle with no loads causes the PCM to 'think' there's a load on the engine and it enriches according to the fuel table, which ends up as overly rich (because there really isn't a load there) so the O2 sensor feedback tries to take away that excess fuel enrichment--causing his negative fuel trim values.
Old 02-15-2018

Re: Is having swear words on my car legal?

So my question is am I likely to get hassled for this?
How's your first amendment working for you?
someone deeply scratched “F*** U COPZ” on my back bumper. It is very obvious, it’s written in huge letters across the whole back bumper. I already filed a police report,
Contact your insurance company?
Old 02-15-2018
Registered!!

At any rate, based on what he's said so far it appears D17 dude has a deeper issue causing the MAP reading to be too high.
(I expect a mechanical problem, but it could very well be electrical)
I need to get a different multimeter and retest the voltage, the one I have started acting weird, so I’m not sure that this voltage reading is accurate.
Old 02-15-2018

I need to get a different multimeter and retest the voltage, the one I have started acting weird, so I’m not sure that this voltage reading is accurate.
Will your scanner display MAP in volts?
Old 02-15-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

duh... some tape over it can easily take care of it until you can fix.
Old 02-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
310civicEX is an unknown quantity at this point

i hope they catch the communist that vandalized your vehicle.
Old 02-20-2018
Registered!!

2005 Civic strut bar

I’m looking for a front strut bar for my 2005 Civic ES1. I don’t have a brand preference and I don’t care if the strut bar looks perfect, but I’m looking for something solid. A $20 eBay POS that I can bend with 1 finger isn’t going to do anything but make the car heavier. I am in the Memphis area, but I’m willing to pay shipping if you’re not local. How much I’m willing to pay depends on the quality of the strut bar. If you have a decent front strut bar for my 2005 Civic, please let me know. It seems very hard to find a quality strut bar for these cars.
Old 02-20-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2005 Civic strut bar

There are only a few quality strut bars for these cars and I happen to have one!

Neuspeed Tower Brace

Pics in this link:

https://imgur.com/a/ZjDtW
Old 02-20-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
There are only a few quality strut bars for these cars and I happen to have one!

Neuspeed Tower Brace

Pics in this link:

https://imgur.com/a/ZjDtW
Awesome! I can’t see the pics on my phone, so I’ll look at them when I get back home. Also, how does this Neuspeed bar compare to the DC Sports bar?

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 02-20-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2018
Registered!!

High RPM on the highway

My 2005 Civic seems to have developed an issue. The engine is running at almost 4000 RPM at about 65 MPH in D4, like it’s in D3. It isn’t setting a code, and the light on the dash is on for D4 too. What causes the ECU to not shift to 4th gear on the highway? I don't think that the transmission has a problem since it's not setting a code, but I'm not sure. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 02-20-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2018
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: High RPM on the highway

Did you count the shifts to verify it’s not in 4th? What RPM is at in D3?
Old 02-20-2018
Prelude Owner

It’s on par if not better then DC sports.

Not anything you would notice
Old 02-20-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Did you count the shifts to verify it’s not in 4th? What RPM is at in D3?
Yes. It's only shifting to 3rd gear. If I shift to D3, nothing changes. It's weird that it's not setting a code though.

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 02-20-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2018

Can your scanner show any transmission datalist?
Shift or gear command data?
Shaft speed data?
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

Can your scanner show any transmission datalist?
Shift or gear command data?
Shaft speed data?
I don't think it will show transmission data, I'd have to check. Not sure what you mean by shaft speed data. However, I presume that it would have set a P0734 code or something like that by now if the transmission was in 3rd gear when the PCM wants it in 4th gear. I've been driving it for a few days like this now. I think that the PCM isn't shifting to 4th gear for some reason, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 02-21-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

I forgot to mention that I checked the transmission fluid. It is full, and it’s clean with no evidence of metal particles in it.
Old 02-21-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

I forgot to mention that I checked the transmission fluid. It is full, and it’s clean with no evidence of metal particles in it.
Is your transmission a JDM ?
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong

Is your transmission a JDM ?
No, it’s the original BMXA trans. I didn’t put my JDM SLXA trans in yet.
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

Do I need a camber kit?

I have lowered my 2005 Civic 1.5 inches, and I am glad I did. The car looks better, and it handles better. My gas mileage may have increased a tiny bit too. However, lowering a car obviously increases negative camber, although I’m not sure that my camber increased significantly from just lowering it 1.5 inches. I can’t see any camber change on the front wheels, but the back wheels seem to have a tiny bit of negative camber, although you would have to pay attention to see it. Is this a bad thing, or is it OK? I’d rather not buy a camber kit if I don’t have to, but I will if I should. What do you think? I can upload pictures of the camber if it would help. Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave