Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your safety, security questions here! Airbags, Keys (immobilizer)

Wireless Key FOB

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamie King is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless Key FOB

I have a 2003 Civic EX. Neither of the key fob's get a response to either locking or unlocking the car remotely, if I lock the doors and then hit the lock or unlock buttons I get no beep (horn works). When I get in the car and hit the lock button on the door both locks respond (actuator in drivers side previously replaced). When I do the Key FOB activation sequence (turn ignition, hit lock on fob, turn ignition hit lock, turn ignition, hit lock on fob etc) the doors will unlock if locked but then after the key fob still gets no response. Any clue? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Wireless Key FOB

I’d the fob battery is weak it will do some weird stuff! Maybe try a new battery.
Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

Replaced the battery first thing in both...same thing. Just rebooted the car (unplugged battery and let it sit for 15 minutes) and still the same issue.
Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

When I pulled my key fob factory harness out, there was two inline fuses on the harness right near the cabin fuse box.

Maybe one those got zapped?
Old 02-12-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 2003 Civic EX. Neither of the key fob's get a response to either locking or unlocking the car remotely,
Have these fobs EVER worked that you know for sure?
Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

These are the original Fobs I got with the car new...I switched using Fobs when the first one acted flaky years ago but have not had any issue until now. Hopefully going to contact a local junkyard tomorrow and try one of theirs and buy it if it works.
Old 02-13-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If one original fob died some time ago, it seems likely the other original fob may have died as well.

Also if you go to a junkyard, there are a few different versions of the fobs that all appear pretty much the same but are not interchangeable.
Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

Ended up buying a used one on Ebay for $7....guess this will be another...replace parts cheapest to most expensive plans and hope to figure it out along the way.
Old 02-19-2018
Registered!!

Purchased a new key fob and programmed it with no luck.

1. Internal locks work without a problem (meaning actuator is functioning correctly)
2. Reprogramming the key fob seems to work...the locks unlock when I do it but afterward the key fobs still do not work
3. No other functions on the care have stopped working...but I do not see a fuse that would allow the locks to work inside the car but prevent the key fob from not working (reviewed the fuse documents and do not see any fuses that would have anything to do with this)
4. Batteries have been changed in key fobs
5. Test key fobs with tester in auto parts store and they are emitting a signal
6. I have unplugged the battery on the car for 15 minutes and reconnected it

Is there a fuse somewhere I am not finding? Is there a connection somewhere that could be causing this? Any new thoughts are appreciated.
Old 02-19-2018

2. Reprogramming the key fob seems to work...the locks unlock when I do it but afterward the key fobs still do not work
So you got it into programming mode and it had to recognize a valid fob signal in order to get that far in the process..

Check this, some people miss pushing the fob button one more time after program mode begins:

Start with doors closed.
Get the car into programming mode (key on, push button on fob, key off, repeat about 3x until locks automatically cycle)

Push button on same fob AGAIN and locks should cycle one time AGAIN

If you have another fob to program, Push button that fob and locks should cycle again
turn key off, remove key from ignition, fobs should work.
Old 02-19-2018
Registered!!

Thanks ezone...either I misread the last on/off in the process or it was not correct on the site I referenced. Working now...thanks.

For reference the sequence is

Key turned to on
Hit Lock button on FOB
Key turned to off
Key turned to on
Hit Lock button on FOB
Key turned to off
Key turned to on
Hit Lock button on FOB
Key turned to off
Key turned to on
Hit Lock button on FOB
Hit Lock button on FOB
Hit Lock button on any other FOB's to be programmed
Old 02-20-2018
Registered!!

Adrian05Si is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to hijack your thread but I am having the same issue with both my key fob. I picked up a 05 Si but both fobs did not actually work before as they never locked or unlocked the doors.
One fob used to have a red light but even after replacing batteries still no light now.
Question is where is the keyless module located, I’m thinking maybe the unit is bad?
Ordered a new fob off eBay so will see how it goes.

Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Did you try the programming procedure?
Old 02-20-2018
Registered!!

Adrian05Si is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes no luck, ordered a new key fob so will see happens. I’m certain the keyless module is toast.
Old 02-20-2018
Registered!!

I always work cheap to most expensive solutions...so yeah check the new key fob first when you get it.
Old 02-20-2018

Originally Posted by Adrian05Si
One fob used to have a red light but even after replacing batteries still no light now.
If the red LED doesn't light up, that fob isn't working.

Battery is confirmed good? Fob must be bad.