Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Slight pulling left/right while driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03_EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Slight pulling left/right while driving

Just picked up a 03 EM2 Coupe 5-speed a few days ago and when I’m driving under low throttle or just coasting (haven’t tried hard accelerations yet figured best not to) the car seems to have some play or looseness in the steering. It also has a little knocking coming from the right front wheel area, guy told me it was just bad control arm bushings and I believe that to be true. Could these control arm bushings be causing the looseness in the steering? It doesn’t feel related to the rear in any way. Also for an extra bit of info it’s on ESM-007 17x9, not 100% on offset since I haven’t got down to look yet.
The following users liked this post:
jheckdelacruz (07-04-2021)
Old 02-12-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Slight pulling left/right while driving

bad control arm bushings can certainly give steering issues
Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
bad control arm bushings can certainly give steering issues
appreciate the feedback. I’ll replace the bushings and see if that takes care of all problems, didn’t know if it might be because of such a large/wide wheel size.
Old 02-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Bad control arm bushings will definitely cause problems with the steering. Also, check your ball joints and tie rod ends too. Bad tie rod ends or ball joints can definitely cause noise and play in the steering, and will effect the alignment.
Old 02-15-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Put the original and correct wheels and tires back on the car and see if it drives normally.

Lots of wheel offset in either direction can cause weird wander issues, like the car is trying to follow ruts in the pavement.....or trying to climb up out of the ruts in the pavement

Square shouldered tires can try to follow lines and uneven surfaces in the pavement
Old 02-15-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

17x9 is a big wheel!!! There are lots of suspension parts that when worn can cause issues but those wheels probably have a big offset if they are 9” wide.

Is it lowered?
Old 02-16-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
17x9 is a big wheel!!! There are lots of suspension parts that when worn can cause issues but those wheels probably have a big offset if they are 9” wide.

Is it lowered?
No the car isn’t lowered any, and sits like a monster truck. Still rubs slightly on one rear wheel when cornering. Haven’t had the car long so it hasn’t had the wheels off to check for wear and tear on suspension components. Looking to go for coilovers a lil later down the road, anyone recommend any good kits? And I bought the car with the wheels and tires on it didn’t include the stocks.

Last edited by 03_EM2; 02-16-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 03_EM2
Still rubs slightly on one rear wheel when cornering.
does it have a rear sway bar?
Old 02-16-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
does it have a rear sway bar?
I’m fairly certain the car came stock with a rear sway bar? It most likely still has the stock one which I’ve heard are really small so I might look into getting a new one. I haven’t had the car long so I haven’t taken the time to look under it at any of the suspension components, he told me it needed new front control arm bushings for sure but that was all he knew. He had just replaced the head and gaskets since he bought the car with a blown head gasket. He said it will sometimes throw the P0401 code. He said it wasn’t the EGR valve itself but was unsure what the exact problem was..

Last edited by 03_EM2; 02-16-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

He said it will sometimes throw the P0401 code. He said it wasn’t the EGR valve itself but was unsure what the exact problem was..
Typical repair: Intake manifold must be pulled out so the EGR passages can be cleaned of carbon buildup.

Or he installed the wrong intake gasket when he did the head gasket.