Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

2002 Crank no Start no Codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kpdirection is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Crank no Start no Codes

Daughter in Law's car (Civic EX 2002) stopped today while she was driving (I have no other details yet). It was towed to my house.

There are no codes in memory (checked with a meter).

Battery reads 12.4V

Cranks strongly, but won't fire

Replaced Fuel Pump Relay, with no success. I can hear the fuel pump anyway when I turn the key on.

Should I suspect the crank sensor? I don't have any codes, so that's not high on my list.

Off now to check fuel pressure, but I'd like to hear of any other items that I should check at the same time.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2002 Crank no Start no Codes

is the immobilizer light doing anything? (green key)
Old 02-08-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Remove oil cap. Get a flashlight.
Watch inside the hole for any movement of the rocker arms while someone else cranks the engine.

Got compression?
Got spark?
Got fuel?
Plugs wet, or dry?
Old 02-08-2018
Registered!!

@colin42: The immobilizer light is solid green when I put the key to accessory. It goes out when I turn the key to crank the engine, and comes back on when I release the key

@ezone: Three of the spark plug seals have gone, so those plugs were soaking in oil when I got them out. The one that has a good seal was a dry plug. Fuel pump still, even though I can hear it?

Had to put it away tonight so I can get the day-job done, but tomorrow I'll test compression and spark. What's the best way to check for fuel?

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 02-08-2018
Registered!!

@ozone: I've just nipped out for a quick test, and the rocker arms are definitely moving - so it's not timing belt.

Pete.
Old 02-08-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It goes out when I turn the key to crank the engine, and comes back on when I release the key
Sounds normal

Three of the spark plug seals have gone, so those plugs were soaking in oil when I got them out.
Someone boogered up the plug tube seals when the valve cover was last installed?

Crank it over before you try to install plugs, you don't want to have a cylinder half full of oil and hydrolock the engine

The one that has a good seal was a dry plug.
So it's probably not getting fuel.
Fuel pump still, even though I can hear it?
Doubt it failed. These aren't Chevy pumps.

What's the best way to check for fuel?
Confirm spark first....

If it's got spark, Get a spray can of anything flammable (starting fluid, carb/throttle cleaner) ....Remove air filter cover......and spritz some into the throttle while cranking...If that gets it to try to fire, you confirmed "Lack of fuel" for whatever reason. Injector signals, pump pressure, scanner data list, etc.
Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

Had a chance to look at this some more today. The first thing I did was check compression.

Zero.

On all cylinders. I even double-checked the compression tester with another vehicle, in case it was the tester that was broken.

But.. I'm certain that I was seeing the rockers move; I'd expect nothing if the timing belt had gone. Any other diagnostic tests I can try to confirm this?

Thanks again for all the help!

Pete.
Old 02-12-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

well if its zero, stick your hand over the spark plug hole while some one cranks see if you can feel air being pushed out

did you try putting a couple tablespoons of oil down into each cylinder?
Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Zero compression and rockers are moving..

Logic tells me choices are
Holes in all your pistons
timing belt skipped bunch of teeth and bent valves
Completely clogged intake
bad compressiion tester

hope it’s the tester..

Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

I haven't put any (more) oil down the cylinders - the leaking spark plug oil seals will have done that for me

I tested the compression tester with one of our other cars, and got a reading that i expected.

The car turns over really well - wouldn't I have heard noises if there were bent valves?

Not sure how to test for a clogged intake - where to start looking?

I put a borescope down one cylinder - definitely no holes in that one!

I took the valve cover off this evening, and can confirm that there is a timing belt there, and it all rotates when the engine turns over (and valves move). There doesn't seem to be much tension on the timing belt, though - I can push and pull it around with a screwdriver (i.e, I can push it away from the engine and pull it towards the engine easily enough). Are there any timing marks I can check against without having to dig too much deeper on the engine? (I'm happy to change the timing belt etc, but want to be 100% sure before I do it...)
Old 02-12-2018

timing belt skipped bunch of teeth
Check that

The car turns over really well
But does it sound like it doesn't have ANY compression?

- wouldn't I have heard noises if there were bent valves?
They only make noise once. Then it gets really really quiet.
I took the valve cover off this evening,
Wiggle check the rocker arms up and down......Is there a lot of free play? Like way more than 0.010"

There doesn't seem to be much tension on the timing belt, though - I can push and pull it around with a screwdriver
Tensioner pulley is floating, not locked. It's dampened, but under spring tension at the same time.
Are there any timing marks I can check against without having to dig too much deeper on the engine?
Remove 3 more bolts (10mm wrench/socket) to remove upper timing belt cover.

Rotate crank until TDC mark aligns in pointers.
Check cam timing mark locations. If it is a half turn off, rotate crank one more full turn.

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/h...for-belt-repla
Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

But does it sound like it doesn't have ANY compression?
Yes. When I've turned over other engines - even by hand with no plugs in - you can hear the cylinders wheezing as each reaches TDC. Nothing like that here. I had all four plugs out, and all I got was maybe a very slight breeze. Nothing to disturb the compression tester I had in #4.

Wiggle check the rocker arms up and down......Is there a lot of free play? Like way more than 0.010"
Yes. Some are under tension, but 11 out of the 16 arms have free play - at least 2 arms have like 1/4" play up and down. What would that imply?

Tensioner pulley is floating, not locked. It's dampened, but under spring tension at the same time.
OK - I'll dig deeper to see if there's anything on with the belt.

Remove 3 more bolts (10mm wrench/socket) to remove upper timing belt cover.
The bottom one is a nuisance to get out - I'll try that again on Wednesday, and check the timing.

As always - many thanks for the ongoing assistance!

Pete.
Old 02-14-2018

1/4 inch of play is bent valves. The end. EDIT unless something else weird happened

Figure out why the timing belt jumped time (tensioner spring broke or wore through the arm of the pulley?) .......then pull the head for valve replacement or pull the engine
Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

1/4 inch of play is bent valves. The end.
Thank you! I'll talk to the son and Daughter in Law and see what they want to do.

Many thanks!
Old 02-14-2018

If you look down a row of valves, all of the valves that are closed (not being pushed open by the cam lobes) their spring tops should all be at the same height. Any valves that are bent will have their stem pulled down and valve spring thus compressed....

if you wish to remove the rocker shafts from the head, the valve springs that are very low should become pretty obvious
Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Wonder if tensioner just failed or if waterpump/ senor bolt came off and got jammed up.

Any chance you live in Houston?
Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Any chance you live in Houston?
Afraid not - north Utah... I'm considering finding a JDM engine locally to replace it, and giving the new motor a going over with a new timing belt, water pump, tensioner etc before installing it.
Old 02-14-2018

tensioner
Get this from Honda!!!!!!!

Too many aftermarkets fail....some don't even make it to the next oil change, and the life of your valves are at stake.
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

So to look at this further...

I got the head off this evening. Definitely bent valves. It looks like the tensioner let go - timing belt was done less than 20,000 miles ago, and the tensioner was completely out of alignment.

My plan is (was) to replace the head with a remanufactured unit, plus the timing belt etc (and HONDA tensioner).

My question, however, relates to the pistons. They all have obvious marks on them from where they hit the valves; Should I go ahead with the new head, or is the block toast and the whole repair a waste of money? If it's marginal, is there any other test I can do to check the bottom of the engine?

Here's one of the pistons (all four are about the same...)

Honda Piston after a short get-together with the valves.
Old 02-21-2018

Pistons are fine.

Would you like to pull pistons for a rering while the head is off? (oil rings are usually stuck, it slowly burns oil)
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Pistons are fine.
Phew! Thanks! I'll start ordering the parts tomorrow for the repair.

Originally Posted by ezone
Would you like to pull pistons for a rering while the head is off? (oil rings are usually stuck, it slowly burns oil)
I don't know... would I? I've never done pistons before (I've done head gaskets, usually on Subarus, but nothing deeper). Is it a massive increase in the size of the job I have? What would be involved?
Old 02-21-2018

It's a bit more time, work, and expense.

It would give you an opportunity to see if the dink marks from hitting valves has caused deeper damage to the pistons (pinched rings). I don't expect that happened, too far from the edge.
Old 03-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e4wd2325 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2005 civic had the same symptoms and solved it by changing the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	crankshaft sensor.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	590.5 KB
ID:	112037  

Last edited by e4wd2325; 03-07-2018 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Inacurate photo
Old 03-07-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by e4wd2325
My 2005 civic had the same symptoms and solved it by changing the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR.
I *so* wish that it ended up being such a simple fix! Many bent valves on this one - the timing belt slipped.

When I tore down the engine, I found that whoever had done the last timing belt had reused the old tensioner bolt - which was one of the short ones that Honda replaced with longer bolts a while ago. I have the new bolt arriving tomorrow - in the meantime I did the water pump, plus the front main seal and the O-ring on the oil pump. Timing belt will be done tomorrow, then tappets, bolt it all back up and pray that the new cylinder head is happy..
Old 03-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by e4wd2325
Weird. These engines will run off of just a cam or crank sensor. It doesn’t need both to start, it just runs like crap with just one.
Old 03-07-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kpdirection
Phew! Thanks! I'll start ordering the parts tomorrow for the repair.

I don't know... would I? I've never done pistons before (I've done head gaskets, usually on Subarus, but nothing deeper). Is it a massive increase in the size of the job I have? What would be involved?
If it burns oil, I’d change the rings. It’s not hard once the head is off, you just have to pull the oil pan to get to the rod cap nuts, but if you need to do it anyway, better now than once it’s all back together. If not addressed, an oil burning problem will eventually ruin your o2 sensors and cat.
Old 04-03-2018
Registered!!

Quick update to close off this thread.

I purchased a new head from Machine Shop Pros (http://machineshoppros.com/). Got an OEM timing belt kit, and also picked up all new timing belt covers. Dropped the oil pan and did the piston rings, plus the EGR and IAC valves. New hoses and belts, new water pump, and I did that little gasket behind the oil pump. Pretty much a complete engine rebuild. Stepson now has his car back, and he's very happy with the work done and the price (because wifey won't let me charge shop rates for the labour!). I even had it washed for him.
Old 04-03-2018
Registered!!

Glad it worked out.