Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

2001 EX no crank no start

Old 02-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brenscars is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 EX no crank no start

No crank, no start. Fuel pump comes on and can straight wire starter and car will start and run. Ignition will cut car off , just won't start car. Thank you for any ideas.
Old 02-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: 2001 EX no crank no start

First though is ignition switch

Reasonably easy to pull covers off, unplug just the main harness and test for continuity on the two contacts highlighted in yellow when you turn the key from on to start.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F0C4D4BA-DC04-4458-8CA3-C05036B90D6B.jpeg
Views:	347
Size:	893.4 KB
ID:	111960  
Old 02-02-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Manual trans?
Bumper for the clutch pedal safety switch broke apart so the switch doesn't get pushed in?
Floormat wadded up under the clutch pedal?

Auto trans?
Make sure the "P" lights up on the dash, and/or see if it will crank in neutral

There's also a starter cut relay involved in either version

Aftermarket alarm or remote start (or botched wiring for same) might be causing issues with operating the starter?
Old 02-03-2018
Registered!!

Manual trans. Bypassed clutch/neutral safety switch. No aftermarket alarm that I am aware of. Will check wiring for continuity. Do you know where starter cut relay is located?
Old 02-03-2018
Registered!!

Manual trans. Bypassed clutch switch. No aftermarket alarm. Will check continuity at main harness. Also, note that green key on dash flashes maybe five times after ignition is turned off.
Old 02-03-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Bypassed clutch switch
Do you know how to operate a test light? (or voltmeter)Testing is far more productive than guessing.

Also......there are TWO switches on the clutch pedal. The upper switch is the one for the starter.

This switch controls a ground to operate the cut relay.
green key on dash flashes maybe five times after ignition is turned off
Correct.

where starter cut relay is located?
Dash fusebox, where this pic is labeled R1
Old 02-03-2018
Registered!!

Have test light and know how use. Thank you for the idea about the second clutch switch and the fuse box diagram picture.
Old 02-05-2018
Registered!!

I have tested all wires going from ignition and clutch switches for continuity as well as to the starter. Getting 12v on all wires. Weird thing is I can cut engine off with ignition switch I just can't start the car with it. Green key on dash flashes a few times on start position and off,which I would assume means ignition is recognizing the key. Is it possible key chip has malfunctioned in a way that prevents starting? I have ruled out the PCM because I would otherwise not get a straight jump of the starter and have it run like it does.
Old 02-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Did you try testing the clutch interlock relay.

That relay was designed for short duration use, you have locked it into constant duty use by bypassing the switch so it would be normal for it to burn out.
Old 02-05-2018

Originally Posted by brenscars
I have tested all wires going from ignition and clutch switches for continuity as well as to the starter. Getting 12v on all wires.
That sounds like a problem. Where's your wiring diagram?
Did you do all testing while the key is twisted to crank position?

You say you have 12v going to the small wire of the starter?

Weird thing is I can cut engine off with ignition switch I just can't start the car with it. Green key on dash flashes a few times on start position and off,which I would assume means ignition is recognizing the key. Is it possible key chip has malfunctioned in a way that prevents starting? I have ruled out the PCM because I would otherwise not get a straight jump of the starter and have it run like it does.
PCM and immobilizer cannot disable the starter on this system.
Old 07-18-2019
Registered!!

ThunderGod is an unknown quantity at this point

BUMP!!!

Any idea how this was resolved?! I know it's an old thread, but I'm in the same situation!
Old 07-19-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,294 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Have you tested everything mentioned above?