Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda civic 2005 lx transmission issues

Old 12-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hrubenstein is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda civic 2005 lx transmission issues

hi I am new to this forum and I was looking fo see if anyone has some
advice on my issue. I have a Honda Civic 2005 lx with 123,000 miles on it. I had no issues with the car up until a week ago. I noticed the car was slipping at a certain speed(when I got to 40 mph it would rev high but I felt like I had no power) but eventually it would shift into the next gear and it would sustain highway speed. I immediately called my dad since I’m not great with cars he said keep driving until I get to him (40 miles away) and he would check it out but the car never made it that far. It drove fine on the highway but once I got to red lights it would have a hard time picking up any acceleration until it finally crapped out at about the fifth red light and wouldn’t budge at all. We got it towed to my dads mechanic who said I needed a new transmission which we all figured. We got a junkyard transmission with only 80000 miles on it which I figured was the best case scenario. I picked the car up a few days later and it drove fine for about two hours no slipping and then it just stopped at a red light and wouldn’t budge again. I got the car towed again and the mechanic didn’t charge me but he said this transmission was bad also which I found to be odd. I picked the car up again today and he said when he cleaned out the radiator from
the original crapped out transmission he thinks he may have “blown a hole” in the tubing which ruined the second transmission. Now this third transmission he put in he told me “slips from 2nd to 3rd hear” which is unsettling because I figure hats what transmissions do when they are about to fail from what I understand. The mechanic told me it may fix itself and it may not fix itself. I’m already heavily invested in this and realize I should have went with a rebuilt transmission but cheaped out but it’s too late for that option now. My question is, is this car safe to drive now? It slips from 2nd to 3rd definitely and possibly from third to fourth (although I could be making this one up in my head); otherwise it drives fine once it gets to a certain speed? My other option is investing in a bicycle.

I appreciate any answers and sorry if the storyline is not entirely clear.
Old 12-28-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Honda civic 2005 lx transmission issues

Did you purchase these transmissions yourself or did the mechanic find them?
If it was the mechanic ask him (demand from him) the invoices/reciepts. Otherwise he may have just used additives like Lucas Stop Slip or Seafoam Trans-Tune to temporarily fix the issue.

Barring the above situation..salvaged transmissions are always a crap shoot.
Hopefully, you purchased them from a place that warranteed them. Might want to consider replacing mechanic as well.
Old 12-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hrubenstein is an unknown quantity at this point

The mechanic found the transmission. I can demand the invoice from him but this guy is trust worthy according to my dad. He says I can drive the car if I ignore the slipping (which he said may "fix itself"). The junkyard transmission has a 3 month warrantee as its been replaced once already. Im pretty sure this guy isn't fixing to find another since he lost out on labor for the second one. Does the slipping from 2nd to 3rd definitely mean this transmission is on its last legs and will I be stranded in this car sooner rather than later? Thank you for your response.
Old 12-28-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hrubenstein
The mechanic found the transmission. I can demand the invoice from him but this guy is trust worthy according to my dad.
You could tell him you need the invoices for your records.

He says I can drive the car if I ignore the slipping (which he said may "fix itself").
"fix itself" ...or more likely to get worse.
Ask him if he removed and cleaned the shift solenoids. Also, ask him what brand and type of ATF he used.

The junkyard transmission has a 3 month warranty as its been replaced once already.
So, the junkyard provided the second one without charge?

Does the slipping from 2nd to 3rd definitely mean this transmission is on its last legs and will I be stranded in this car sooner rather than later?
I can't say definitely but, it sure isn't working properly.

If the mechanic truly replaced the second transmission and didn't charge you then he is being more than fair because it's not his fault (unless improper install) the first junkyard transmission didn't work correctly. I think with the most recent transmission he's not wanting to replace it a third time for free and that's why he's telling you it will work itself out.
Old 12-28-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I bet the mechanic didn't clean out the ATF cooler inside the radiator, nor installed a filter inline, nor bypassed it with an external cooler.

Debris and contaminants from the first trans failure may have gone into the ATF cooler......and it can ruin the next transmission if it's just left there.
Old 12-29-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
I bet the mechanic didn't clean out the ATF cooler inside the radiator, nor installed a filter inline, nor bypassed it with an external cooler.

Debris and contaminants from the first trans failure may have gone into the ATF cooler......and it can ruin the next transmission if it's just left there.
I didn't consider that .. definitely makes sense. How should the OP approach the mechanic about that if he chooses to do so?
Old 12-29-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalodong
I didn't consider that .. definitely makes sense. How should the OP approach the mechanic about that if he chooses to do so?
I can't answer that...YOU should already know why LOL.

You'd have to make your approach work with the personalities of the individuals in the scenario.

Assess the intelligence of the target.....and remember this quote:
"A wise man knows his ignorance. A fool thinks he knows everything."

Some mechanics absolutely refuse to deal with anyone to seems to be smarter than they are, while others are very open to criticism and/or suggestions. (like people in any other job or industry)

NOT PC: Same way you would tell any other egotistical arrogant hothead (or precious snowflake) who is never ever wrong...that he's wrong.

Hey...I don't know if it's the right answer or not. I just tossed it out there as a strong possibility.