Electronics Post information/questions/Issues about Electronic parts here.

Key fob wont program in my honda civic

Old 06-07-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honciv is an unknown quantity at this point
Key fob wont program in my honda civic

2008 Honda Civic. Key remote lock/unlock intermittently stopped working over the last few days and now is solid. Suspected battery in key but battery checks good at 3v and also tried new battery. Doors, hood, and truck sense correctly as closed. (Dome light goes on/off when each is tested). Key senses in ignition. (Beeps with key in indication and opening driver door)
All doors lock/unlock from driver door switch. Security light blinks normally on dash. All keys start car including valet key.

Keyfob program steps do not activate after the 4th step. (Doesn’t work on 2nd key either that had not been used in years/replaced battery/but not sure if it’s a defective keyfob)

i also performed successfully the program steps of driver door lock/unlock to set all doors to open when car goes from drive to park. (Always hated that only the driver unlocked all these years)

With other clues above seeming to be normal, could this be as simple as a bad keyfob?

The only other thing I can think that could have affected the car in some ‘unusual manor’ over the last wee or so is that I left the trunk open in garage for 1 & 1/2 days after cleaning the carpet, after spilling a little gas in trunk. (However, it did not run battery down at all and the car started easily, without issue.)
Old 06-09-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Key fob wont program in my honda civic

Originally Posted by Honciv
2008 Honda Civic. Key remote lock/unlock intermittently stopped working over the last few days and now is solid. Suspected battery in key but battery checks good at 3v and also tried new battery. Doors, hood, and truck sense correctly as closed. (Dome light goes on/off when each is tested). Key senses in ignition. (Beeps with key in indication and opening driver door)
All doors lock/unlock from driver door switch. Security light blinks normally on dash. All keys start car including valet key.

Keyfob program steps do not activate after the 4th step. (Doesn’t work on 2nd key either that had not been used in years/replaced battery/but not sure if it’s a defective keyfob)

i also performed successfully the program steps of driver door lock/unlock to set all doors to open when car goes from drive to park. (Always hated that only the driver unlocked all these years)

With other clues above seeming to be normal, could this be as simple as a bad keyfob?

The only other thing I can think that could have affected the car in some ‘unusual manor’ over the last wee or so is that I left the trunk open in garage for 1 & 1/2 days after cleaning the carpet, after spilling a little gas in trunk. (However, it did not run battery down at all and the car started easily, without issue.)
First, the DIY programming does not apply to your car.
The keyless remote transmitter is only programmed using the same scanner that programs the immobilizer system, the fob is programmed at the same time the key is programmed with the scanner.

When you push buttons on your fob does the red LED illuminate with each button press? If not, it's either a battery issue or failed transmitter.
Make sure you didn't stick the batteries in upside down, it's easy to do.
Old 06-10-2019
Registered!!

I have a 2nd 2008 Honda Civic with 2nd key for it that works on it. The light on keyfob lights green or red when near car but does not light when far away. For the problem car, both keyfobs have new/good batteries and in correct direction. (Lights do not work, likely due to not sensing cars signal)

I attempting using the programming steps advertised for other cars keyfob but it sounds like a special tool is needed for programming on a 2008 civic. (True?)

Even if the 2 keyfobs for the problem car were bad (which I doubt), I had hoped to program the keyfob from the other car to this one.

I appreciate your advice!
Old 06-13-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
First, the DIY programming does not apply to your car.
The keyless remote transmitter is only programmed using the same scanner that programs the immobilizer system, the fob is programmed at the same time the key is programmed with the scanner.

When you push buttons on your fob does the red LED illuminate with each button press? If not, it's either a battery issue or failed transmitter.
Make sure you didn't stick the batteries in upside down, it's easy to do.
For a 2008 Honda Civic, do I need an obd2 tool like the one linked below to program the keyfob? Also, since I still suspect this cars keyfobs are still functionally good, could a car battery reset anything, like the receiver module, to get things communicating again?

USA Ship EasyKeyMaker OBD2 Diagnostic Car Progarmmer Including All K-eys Lost https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F264105048010
Old 06-14-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Honciv
I have a 2nd 2008 Honda Civic with 2nd key for it that works on it. The light on keyfob lights green or red when near car but does not light when far away.
I don't know what you have....but there is no green LED on the stock Honda key transmitter. Only a single red LED next to the lock button.

(Lights do not work, likely due to not sensing cars signal)
No light typically indicates no transmitter activity.
The LED is supposed to illuminate when you push a button on the transmitter regardless of car proximity.
The car could be on the other side of the planet, the red LED on the transmitter should still illuminate when a button is pressed.
but it sounds like a special tool is needed for programming on a 2008 civic. (True?)
That's what I said.
Even if the 2 keyfobs for the problem car were bad (which I doubt), I had hoped to program the keyfob from the other car to this one.
You could take apart the shells of the keys and swap transmitters, then attempt programming

No clue on the programming tool you linked.