Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Burning smell from power window switch+front passenger window won't open

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tester is an unknown quantity at this point
Burning smell from power window switch+front passenger window won't open

Hi, Civic 2001 LX here.

About 4 days ago, I noticed a burning smell inside my car after I started the ignition. It resembled a burn plastic smell, but I could not figure out where it came from. The smell lingered for some time, but then significantly subsided. Two days ago, I also became aware that my front passenger side window would not open, while all the other windows work fine (I already had a similar problem that required a replacement of the power window switch since there was a short). I also checked the fuse that is responsible for the passenger power window, and I saw that it was burnt. I replaced the fuse, but the window cannot be manipulated. I tried the controls on the right passenger door, but nothing worked. I also noticed that when the car is on, there are clicking sounds coming from the passenger door, as though the car is trying to operate the window. This disappeared after I removed the fuse.

Most importantly, I discovered that the burnt smell is coming from the power window switch located at the driver’s door! I wanted to ask if someone has any idea what the problem might be? The last time my passenger window would not open, the fuse got burnt every time I would put a new fuse and tried to operate the window. This time, the fuse stays intact, but I just hear clicking sounds coming from the passenger door about every 30 seconds or so.

Would getting another power window switch solve the problem? All the other windows can be controlled just fine using the power window switch, even if it still emits a burning smell.

Does the motor/regulator inside the passenger door need to be replaced based on the signs presented?

Help would be welcomed.
Old 12-11-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Burning smell from power window switch+front passenger window won't open

This happens to some 7th gens.

If you are not working any windows, and the smell occurs... (should be strongest at the master switch itself) likely just the master switch.
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Test for broken wires behind the rubber cover in the driver's door hinge area. Flexing over time can cause the wires to break and cause electrical issues with windows and locks - I know personally.
Old 08-29-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
colewan is an unknown quantity at this point

BROKEN WIRES is the answer
Old 08-30-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

It's happened to me twice now over the years - both rear window problems were solved by repairing the wires at the driver's door conduit area.