Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Radiator Fan suddenly stops working

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jobz is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Radiator Fan suddenly stops working

Hi, I need help with my cooling fans, its been month now and I'm still experiencing problem with my radiator and condenser fan, I have observed that when the engine turns hot, the radiator fan kicks on and off which is normal and after a couple of minutes the radiator fan kicks in like 1 sec and suddenly stops working even when I turned on the ac both fans wont kick in, the radiator fan seems to be working when I connect it directly to the battery. as I have read some threads, I tried to see if the fan switch is working so I shorted the connector of the fan switch and it did not switch both fans. the only way for me to reactivate or switch the fans back to normal is to short the switch in the relay to the negative terminal of the battery.
Old 12-04-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Radiator Fan suddenly stops working

sounds like you kinda found the problem while testing: the fan relay. Replace relay and see if they work normally
Old 12-04-2017
Registered!!

thank you for the reply, I replaced all of the relays, the problem still persists, also when I start the ac both fans kicks in and after for awhile they stop turning on, this also happened when I was stuck in traffic and I saw my hood starting to smoke, goodthing I was able to short the fans to bring down the temp, I wonder if the problem is in the fuse box?
Old 12-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

You could always double check the relay again.

First pull it out while the fan are running to make sure they stop

The wait for fans to stop and pull the relay again and use a jumper wire to bypass. Note use a heavy gauge wire for the bypass as quite bit current needs to flow and using a paper clip might burn your socket and fingers..

If it works with the bypass then test the fan relay coil positive and ground connections In the socket to see which one is not letting the relay work.
Old 12-10-2017
Registered!!

Ok so I checked again, the relay is not the problem so is the fan switch, is there a problem with my fuse box or Im having a ground issue? I hooked up my multi tester to the positive battery terminal and check the relay switch slot and I saw something weird is this normal? (check pic) 1 and 9 seems to give 12v other than 2 which gave 0.10v, I did not switch the ignition and key is removed.

Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

lol.. after cleaning the wires in the bottom of the fuse box, both fans doesn't turn on now even with the a/c on but still when I connect the relay switch pin to the negative terminal, both fan turns on but when I remove it, both fans doesn't continue to work, I checked the ground below the fuse box it gives 12v and now I'm tracing these yellow/black wire from the #11 in the pic ^ , any idea where this wire connect to?
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

OK! so scratch those, I just checked my 2p radiator fan switch connector it seems like the bottom slot 2P connector is grounded, it shows 10v, Is there a way to see where the wire is running to?
Old 12-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jobz
OK! so scratch those, I just checked my 2p radiator fan switch connector it seems like the bottom slot 2P connector is grounded, it shows 10v, Is there a way to see where the wire is running to?
Tests need to be done KOEO: Key ON, Engine OFF

One wire (BLACK) is connected to ground so you should see zero volts....and continuity check should read near zero ohms.....and if you connect your meter lead to the battery positive post that same wire should then show 12v.

The other wire (GREEN) at the fan temp switch goes to the relays so you should see a 12 volt reading on it.

If you connect it (green wire) to a ground or jumper it to the ground wire in the connector, the relays should click and turn on both fans. This proves everything will work as long as the fan switch does its job.

ONE of those relays you circled is for the compressor clutch, not the fans.
You need to get a good wiring diagram for the fans before you go randomly poking things.
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

thanks I finally found the culprit, I traced the green wire and its in the center console, there was a problem with the plug I finally fixed it and got the fans working like normal, the downside is that there is now no power in my interior lights and after cleaning some of the plugs, the car does only crank, I suspect it has something to do with the connection to the pump., does anyone recognize these wire plugs? lol I need help in tracing these wires, my hands already got stabbed multiple times in checking continuity

Oh and btw I already cleaned my under dash fusebox

Last edited by jobz; 12-12-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Hope I am wrong, but my first guess is you have burnt out your computer.
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

I don't think so, I checked obd live and it still give info when I crank the car, and there was a time when I wiggle some of those wires and the car turned on and later shuts off like its receiving less fuel because the rpm was going down until it cough and completely shuts off
Old 12-12-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and there was a time when I wiggle some of those wires
I'd go back to this.....I bet the answer lies here.....you're probably losing power to the fuel pump whenever you wiggled wires, so figure out why
Old 12-14-2017
Registered!!

it was the #5 in the photo, there was a problem with the wires going to the power pump, ok, so Im moving out to my other thread since my problem with the radiator fan is already over.

My wiring thread https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...-question.html