Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your safety, security questions here! Airbags, Keys (immobilizer)

srs brain swap?

Old 11-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
310civicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
srs brain swap?

soo... if i removed my SRS brain "2002 civic ex 2 door" and put in a brain out of a 2003 civic 4 door... will it plug n play or get mad?
Old 11-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: srs brain swap?

Not sure, but what I am sure about is that working on a SRS system can be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Did you plug the new SRS brain in yet?
Old 11-22-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
Not sure, but what I am sure about is that working on a SRS system can be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Did you plug the new SRS brain in yet?
i dont currently have an srs light on... previous owner cut the wires under seat... so i re-connected them then the srs light went away.. it came back as a bad brain code..i reset it and it never came back...but i wanna know if the brain is bad...i got a spare out of an 03 non vtec sedan.
Old 11-23-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

i reset it and it never came back
Seems like it should be fine unless or until the code returns.

Look up each car by VIN in a real Honda parts catalog, see if the SRS control units are the same part numbers. See if part numbers on the labels match too.
Make sure the BRAND of control unit is the same.
NEC or Siemens or Keihin

I found at least 7 different part number choices.......IMO chances aren't looking good for you.
Old 11-23-2017
Registered!!

i believe i reset it wrong after i repaired the wires... i really hope the code stays gone.. i need to do a california safety inspection soon
Old 11-23-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Good luck, I really don't have a good answer... when my Siemens unit went, I choose dealer.
Old 11-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
Seems like it should be fine unless or until the code returns.

Look up each car by VIN in a real Honda parts catalog, see if the SRS control units are the same part numbers. See if part numbers on the labels match too.
Make sure the BRAND of control unit is the same.
NEC or Siemens or Keihin

I found at least 7 different part number choices.......IMO chances aren't looking good for you.
Great advice. I would agree that the SRS system is probably fine since the light didn't come back on.
Old 11-23-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I want that safety system that is designed to save my freekin life!
As long as it doesn't cost much....
Old 11-23-2017

I actually do see those codes for SRS unit internal error from time to time.....

As long as they erase and don't return I just let them go, suspecting something like low voltage may have triggered it. If it's really brain dead the code will return right away.

Search this Thread