Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Will a Honda Civic run for a short time with unprogrammed ECU

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bigdaddyclint is an unknown quantity at this point
Will a Honda Civic run for a short time with unprogrammed ECU

Hey guys got a question I just ordered a 02 Civic EX ECU off of eBay to try and diagnose a no charge problem I've narrowed it down to either the wire harness or ECU cutting off the alternator question I have is Will my car run for a short period of time with an unprogrammed ECU just to verify if my alternator is putting out its voltage to the battery. A little back story my alternator is working because I have hook it up to a battery outside of the vehicle while running just from Battery negative to alternator positive and battery and I get good voltage but as soon as I hook in the alternator positive terminal to the fuse block under the hood it kicks my alternator off the only thing I can think that it might be now is the PCM kicking off the alternator let me know if anybody has any answers on if the car will run for a minute or two without a programmed ECU because I don't want to spend $100 on a program if it's not the ECU that's causing the issue thanks for everybody's help
Old 11-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Will a Honda Civic run for a short time with unprogrammed ECU

Seems would be easier to bypass the pcm/ECU control of the alternator..

https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-r...iring-2667286/
Old 11-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, cannot run until it is programmed.
Old 11-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

I tried it, it won't work. The immobilizer won't let it start, and I haven't been able to figure out a way around the immobilizer.
Old 11-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

And about your charging problem, did you check your ELD?