Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

previous owner used wrong crank bolt..

Old 11-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
310civicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
previous owner used wrong crank bolt..

now the crank threads are shot.... any suggestions ? anything that can actually hold 140 pound of torque?
Old 11-07-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: previous owner used wrong crank bolt..

Is the bolt or crank stripped out?
Old 11-07-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Is the bolt or crank stripped out?
he used a course thread bolt and messed up all the treads in the crank... the oem bolt catches alittle but cannot torque down.
Old 11-07-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

um.. yikes. That's all I have to say
Old 11-07-2017
Registered!!

oem size is.. im wondering if i just tap it and get a bigger bolt if it will be okM14 x 1.25
Old 11-07-2017
Registered!!

will helicoils hold 148 foot pounds?
Old 11-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

stupid question but....will the same bolt work again?....even if its the wrong one?

tapping or helicoil will probably break or crack the crank, however at this point i guess you dont have much to lose,

my only other thought without having to replace the crank would be to have a shop weld it on there, but im not even sure thats possible, and you would be hard pressed to ever get it off again,
Old 11-08-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

oooooooouchhhh.

Maybe what Mikey1 said...
Old 11-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

If you really think about it, just one foot pound of torque is likely all you need as long as you keep the nut from spinning off
You could drill small hole in the pulley and a hole through the nut and wire wrap them together.

There simply is not much force trying to pull the pulley off when engine is running, and the keyway pin keeps it from slipping.
Old 11-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
If you really think about it, just one foot pound of torque is likely all you need as long as you keep the nut from spinning off
You could drill small hole in the pulley and a hole through the nut and wire wrap them together.

There simply is not much force trying to pull the pulley off when engine is running, and the keyway pin keeps it from slipping.
there is a reason why the torque spec is so high on that bolt.....because it can and will come loose, if one or 10 foot pounds was sufficient, that is what honda would tell you
Old 11-09-2017
Registered!!

supposibly helicoils give a fastener a better bite on the metal.. so i really have no choice but to try it.... i have another crank..but thats more risky to swap crank...or is it a matter of just put rod ends and carrier caps to torque specs and reasemble?
Old 11-09-2017
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Doing similiar to your crank bolt will keep it in place without full torque
Old 11-09-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Safety wire in that manner will not work on the crank bolt. The bolt head you pictured is stationary as the wheel rotates on a bearing on the bolt. The crank bolt rotates with the crankshaft itself.
Old 11-09-2017
Registered!!

Crank, pulley , and bolt all spin as a unit, wire locking the bolt to the pulley will keep it from backing out.

That's why I said you would need to drill through the pulley and wire to it. Drilling two small holes in the side of the pulley where the holder tool locks in would be easy, drilling hole through that bolt will be bit harder
Old 02-16-2018
Registered!!

just as an FYI....... the heli-coil worked out perfect.. about 153 torque on it and so far so good...many speed-runs

Search this Thread