Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Head Gasket

Go drive a new Civic with turbo LOL
Old 10-10-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

lol, considered it. L15 or K24 though? That's what I'm looking at. haha.

Plus I've been seeing used cars with relatively low mileage for less than what I my civic cost brand new
Old 10-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
lol, considered it. L15 or K24 though?
NEW? L15 Turbo is the hot engine..... I think the hatch and SI get the most power stock

The 2.0 is the low power engine for the lower trim cars.

The type R gets the 2.0 T with some 300 HP and I doubt you can touch one for sticker (maybe 34k-ish?) yet. Some dealers are or were getting $50k+. My dealer has only had two of them so far.
Old 10-10-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
James is trying to get me to join club miata. Not gonna happen.

I was looking at some '15 Si coupes. Found some for around the $15k mark
5k at most for most 1st gen miata :P

or a 6th gen civic, 27k miles , who knows

integra?
Old 10-10-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the mindset of "I'm gonna get a newer car" if I get one. Something that'll last me another 15 years
Old 10-11-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear the news Josh but you took great care of her.

I would recommend a Fit . I love mine!!
Old 10-11-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Aww man, sorry to hear.

...I was feeling the same way when I found out my car is burning mega amounts of oil. I was like time for my 986 build.

But after a few days I realized that would be a waist of money considering all the mods I have into her.

You could buy a new car then replace your engine with a scrap yard engine, when you're ready, and sell it for more than a rolling chassis.
Old 10-11-2017
Administrator
Administrator

I've had 2 people express interest in it. One being my Navy buddy that lives in Cincinnati. His work friends wanna join him in a Honda track build after I jokingly offered to sell it to him. Another was my coworker, see if her son (16 year old) wants a more cost effective project car.
Old 10-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

for mid 30's i'd be looking at 30-40k mile C6 Z06's. Sounds like we have quite a different taste though lol
Old 10-11-2017
Administrator
Administrator

I'm still a kid at heart. lol

I look like I'm in my early 20s and act like I'm 21.. That is, until **** needs to get done, then a switch flips in my head and game time is over.
Old 10-11-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Given any thought of tapping in oversized head bolts? Could go next size up (from drilled diameter) in standard or metric. However, may compromise the block thickness/strength? I guess another problem would lie with a larger sized bolt head fitting in correctly to top of the deck near valves?
Old 10-12-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Gave it some thought. would have to bore out the holes in the cylinder head, then get the head re-decked/checked for anything that could cause future head gasket leakage. Block thickness didn't look like it'd be an issue, there seems to be plenty of space around the cylinder head bolt holes. Not to mention whether or not a larger bolt would fit in the head gasket itself. Re-tapping the block would be a challenge in itself, making sure they're all straight. Helicoiling the block, some of the studs weren't quite 100% perpendicular to the block, but not enough to cause issue. Made it a bit of a challenge to fit the head gasket and head on, but the divergence from 90 degrees were fractions of a degree.