Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil Leak Top of Motor But Not Cylinder Head Plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The_Gilligan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Oil Leak Top of Motor But Not Cylinder Head Plug

I have an 03 ex coupe 5M 138k miles with a nasty oil leak. I mean really nasty(a little over 3 quarts in 2 weeks). It only really leaks when running and up to temp, but it still drips cold. I already replaced the cylinder head plug and the EGR valve gasket which stopped one leak, but presented another. I've gone through a myriad of forums as to not have to post my own thread, but I've only found people talking of the cylinder head plug. The oil looks to be coming from the very top of the transmission, and runs down along the seam where the motor and tranny meet. It isn't leaking from the bottom of that seam so I'm hesitant to call it as a rear main seal. If anyone has any suggestions or ways of better diagnosing the issue it would be much appreciated.
Old 09-08-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Oil Leak Top of Motor But Not Cylinder Head Plug

Clean the engine off well with Gunk engine cleaner and old rags. Can sprinkle baby powder all over it too to inspect for leaks. Run engine if necessary to help find leaks. Start inspecting form top of engine downwards. Possible leaks in the area you described are:

1) Valve cover gasket
2) Cylinder head end cap (you replaced)
3) Rear main seal
4) Oil pan gasket
5) Vtec gasket (if EX or SI model)
Old 09-08-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

VTEC valve leak, lower and upper gaskets?

(search this forum for part number of the upper gasket your dealer says does not exist)
Old 09-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

if its not the end cap, could be the seal between engine and tranny,

how old is your PCV valve?

a stuck old PCV valve with blow seals and gaskets in no time
Old 09-09-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Clean the engine off well with Gunk engine cleaner and old rags. Can sprinkle baby powder all over it too to inspect for leaks. Run engine if necessary to help find leaks. Start inspecting form top of engine downwards. Possible leaks in the area you described are:

1) Valve cover gasket
2) Cylinder head end cap (you replaced)
3) Rear main seal
4) Oil pan gasket
5) Vtec gasket (if EX or SI model)
Ill clean and put some baby powder on and get back with my findings and pictures.
Old 09-09-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
if its not the end cap, could be the seal between engine and tranny,

how old is your PCV valve?

a stuck old PCV valve with blow seals and gaskets in no time
I would assume the PCV is as old as the car itself. I just bought the car a couple weeks ago for $750 bucks. It was so cheap because of the leaking. Im going to try and change every seal I can without ripping the engine apart..
Old 09-09-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
VTEC valve leak, lower and upper gaskets?

(search this forum for part number of the upper gasket your dealer says does not exist)
Will do!
Old 09-10-2017
Registered!!

Im having a lot of trouble finding the vtec upper and lower gaskets together. If I look it up it seems that there they come in sets but those 2 part numbers arent together. It looks like I have to buy the separately.. Does anyone know of a website where I can buy them together??
Old 09-10-2017
Registered!!

On another post I found the two part numbers
Filter(upper): 15825-P2M-005
Lower: 36172-P08-015
Are these the correct numbers?
Old 09-11-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Gilligan
Im having a lot of trouble finding the vtec upper and lower gaskets together. If I look it up it seems that there they come in sets but those 2 part numbers arent together. It looks like I have to buy the separately.. Does anyone know of a website where I can buy them together??
ANY Honda dealer, website or brick and mortar.

No they do not come in sets.

Did you find a post I made, with the part numbers?
If you can't figure it out, link the post so I can look.

Last edited by ezone; 09-11-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-11-2017
Registered!!

ANY Honda dealer, website or brick and mortar.

No they do not come in sets.

Did you find a post I made, with the part numbers?
If you can't figure it out, link the post so I can look.
Its a post you made, so I will assume its correct. Ill call up my local dealer tomorrow to see if they have them.
Old 09-11-2017

Found my notes at work

The lower gasket (filter) between the VTEC valve and the head is found in the parts catalog easily.

The Upper gasket for the solenoid is the one the dealership will not find in the parts catalog.

Honda # 36172-P08-015

Name:  kBA217Z.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  62.3 KB
Old 09-12-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

There's a torque spec to the Vtec solenoid bolts. If it still leaks after torquing it down (or by feel) then you may need to apply Hondabond to the gasket..just avoid getting it on the screen. Definitely try it without a sealant first though. The 7th gen Vtec solenoids are beefier than the 6th gens I'm used to working on so maybe they don't warp like 6th gens can (or seem to).
Old 09-12-2017

Originally Posted by Megalodong
There's a torque spec to the Vtec solenoid bolts. If it still leaks after torquing it down (or by feel) then you may need to apply Hondabond to the gasket..just avoid getting it on the screen. Definitely try it without a sealant first though. The 7th gen Vtec solenoids are beefier than the 6th gens I'm used to working on so maybe they don't warp like 6th gens can (or seem to).
A fresh pliable rubber or O ring style gasket should not need any additional sealant.

You do NOT want any chance of stray RTV getting into any oil passages.
Old 09-12-2017

A fresh pliable rubber or O ring style gasket should not need any additional sealant.

You do NOT want any chance of stray RTV getting into any oil passages.
Yes, that is definitely a possibility and I was very concerned the first time I used it on the Vtec gasket.

I've had two 6th gens that wouldn't seal without RTV..I tried new gaskets without RTV on both first but still leaked. Carefully applied a thin coat of hondabond to gasket and housing perimeter without getting on the screen and both sealed and worked fine since: 30k+ miles. I only applied it to the larger solenoid (snowman) gasket and not the smaller gasket that you posted a pic of. If OP considers using RTV he does so at his own risk. Hopefully, it will seal without it.