Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing belt (?) groan only when AC on and over 3000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MontanaProf is an unknown quantity at this point
Timing belt (?) groan only when AC on and over 3000 rpm

I have a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid with 84,000 miles on it.

I had my AC compressor unit replaced over the winter. It was making a loud groan when operating, and then just gave up.

The new unit is now in. When I have the hood up and look at it with the a/c running everything is great. The unit clicks on and off properly as the a/c is activated on and off.

The problem is when I am driving. If and only if the a/c is running do I get an issue with a groaning noise coming from that side of the engine. And it only happens in 1st and 2nd (I have a stick shift) and only when the rpm is over 3000.

If I drive carefully, there is no issue. (I know, my problem is "solved" if I just drive like a grandma!!)

It was happening at lower revs, but I got the Honda Dealer to tighten the timing belt, which was apparently "pretty darn loose". That pushed when the issue arises to a much higher rpm.

Again, only happens with a/c actually running, only in 1st and 2nd gear, and only over 3000 rpm.

Any thoughts on what this is?

Many thanks!!
Old 07-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Timing belt (?) groan only when AC on and over 3000 rpm

An 04 Civic HYBRID does not have a timing belt.
What do you thunk about that?

Aftermarket compressor? Warranty? Return to installer?
Is it bolted on with all of the bolts?
Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll bet she really meant accessory belt.

The compressor shouldnt have failed at that low miles.

Keep at it with the person who did the work to make you happy. Its part of their job.

-SP
Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

Any thoughts on why the accessory belt being tighter raised the rpm threshold for this to happen?
Old 07-19-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MontanaProf
Any thoughts on why the accessory belt being tighter raised the rpm threshold for this to happen?
How does a guitar string change as you tighten it?
Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

When you tighten a guitar string it vibrates at a higher frequency.

Not sure how that would explain why I only get the groan only when AC on and over 3000 rpm and only in 1st and 2nd gear though.
Old 07-19-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

more load on the engine at that point
Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
more load on the engine at that point
Why does more load on the engine impact what is going on in the a/c compressor?

Does that a/c compressor spin slower or faster based on the rpm?

I had thought that the accessory belt went the same speed all the time (given it is not a timing belt!).
Old 07-19-2017

Does that a/c compressor spin slower or faster based on the rpm?

I had thought that the accessory belt went the same speed all the time (given it is not a timing belt!).
All belts (including camshaft timing belt or timing chain or timing gear drive, where applicable) are driven by a pulley (or gear) mounted directly to the engine crankshaft.
Therefore:
Every item driven by a belt (or chain or gear) will always vary their speeds with engine RPM.

I can't tell you why your compressor makes noise though. Remove belt and see if all the pulleys spin smooth and quiet?
Old 07-24-2017
Registered!!

Hi all,

Problem solved! Went into the mechanic today, and even I could diagnose the issue once we took a look at the compressor from the underneath/side:

the top bolt was missing. It looked like it had been on there once, but it no longer was.

Mechanic fixed it and apologized that the job was not done right in the first place.
Old 07-24-2017

Hi all,

Problem solved! Went into the mechanic today, and even I could diagnose the issue once we took a look at the compressor from the underneath/side:

the top bolt was missing. It looked like it had been on there once, but it no longer was.
Ha! That was the last line of my first reply LOL

Originally Posted by ezone
Return to installer?
Is it bolted on with all of the bolts?

Mechanic fixed it and apologized that the job was not done right in the first place.
Good to see your mechanic has integrity! Sadly, that doesn't seem to be all that common these days.
Old 07-25-2017
Registered!!

[QUOTE=ezone;4728079]Ha! That was the last line of my first reply LOL

I know! I am still amazed that you were able to diagnose this from my description. On the money!!
Old 07-25-2017

It was only a guess.....