Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Check Engine Light, Code "P1457"

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017
High Speed, Low Drag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EMAN64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Check Engine Light, Code "P1457"

Hi Everyone,

About a week ago my girlfriends 2005 Honda Civic LX had the check engine light come on. I took it to Autozone to get the code read and it was code P1457 and said "Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected - B". It was read with a Bosch enhanced OBD I & II Scanner.

I read up a bit of information on the code and it seems fairly common with civics. I did tighten the gas cap as recommended about four days ago. I had scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning with Honda to take a look at it, but the light ended up turning off by itself today.

Should I still take it in to get looked at by Honda tomorrow morning, or should I cancel the appointment?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 06-02-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Check Engine Light, Code "P1457"

but the light ended up turning off by itself today
P1457 ......it should not be a gas cap fault. It should be a fault in the canister section of the system.

Came on and went out....The EVAP system appears to have failed its self test at least twice to turn the light on, but it has now passed its self test at least twice in a row and the light is out. That makes the problem an intermittent issue though it's not currently failing:

I wouldn't bother taking it in until it is failing consistently. If the light isn't on they may not be able to find anything conclusive, I'd hate to pay a checkout fee for nothing.

MN?....I'll guess it's going to need a CVS valve due to rust, and maybe a canister.
Old 06-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i had that code....

mine ended up being the canister valve was leaking
Old 06-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Replace the EVAP By-Pass Shut Valve and the EVAP Canister (which would be rusted together) for code P1457.
Old 06-10-2017
High Speed, Low Drag

Thank you for the help everyone. The check engine light ended up coming back on a few days after it turned off again so I took it in to Honda today and they said it was the Evap Cannister. They quoted me well over $500 to fix which seems pretty steep. I'm thinking I'll take it to my local mechanic instead. Does this price sound steep or is it in the right range?
Old 06-10-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's more than just a canister.

A little over 200 MSRP (not including dealer markup) for the usual parts (canister, CVS valve, couple screws).....a fee for checkout, another fee for replacement. My dealer would probably make a similar total estimate around 500ish. (I don't do the numbers, I just fix the cars)

DIY is a cheap way to go.
Old 06-10-2017
High Speed, Low Drag

Thanks for the update on the price, that clears up the cost a bit more (the dealership did a terrible job explaining the cost of everything).
Old 06-10-2017

I was just guessing based on what I see regularly on that particular car.

You could always ask for an itemized, detailed breakdown of their estimate.
Old 06-10-2017
High Speed, Low Drag

Thanks,

If I did it as a DIY, is the charcoal canister and extra parts difficult to replace? I've been seeing mixed answers on it from researching it a bit.
Old 06-10-2017

IMO this is an easy one.

The canister is held to the car with ONE (rusty) bolt, a 12mm socket and extension should reach it.
Maybe 5 hoses to undo (one has a coupler--squeeze its ears to disconnect), some wires to disconnect. Then you can have the canister and its misc parts in your hands.

Name:  4yNunAJ.jpg
Views: 4762
Size:  793.0 KB

This CVS valve leaking (see soap bubbles) due to rust is a typical failure I see here, and the screws are usually seized so you can't remove the valve without tearing something up.

Name:  MfQguaL.jpg
Views: 4100
Size:  769.0 KB
Old 06-11-2017
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

the canister with the valve attached is easy to remove like ezone said,

the screws that attach the valve were so rusted on mine i had to grab them with vice grips to loosen them,

if you wanna be really cheap you could spread some silicone around the outside of the gasket surfaces on the valve, this would probably seal it good enough so your cel would not come on,

i have done that before on a different vehicle,
Old 06-11-2017
High Speed, Low Drag

Thank you for the help Ezone and Mikey. I plan on getting this done myself. Out of curiosity, I've been trying to find which parts exactly to purchase for when I replace it myself. Do I just need to buy the charcoal cannister and reattach the hoses, bolts, etc... after removing the original? Or are there other parts that I need to purchase as well?
Old 06-11-2017

Canister assy 17011-S5A-A30

Valve, canister vent shut 17310-S5A-L31

and 2 screws 93893-05010-08

Online parts catalog link: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...L+PIPE+%281%29

I usually take the canister down and see if I can get the screws loose from the CVS valve before making an estimate. If the screws will come out, no need to replace the canister if it is not the actual problem.
Old 09-14-2017
Registered!!

bulls2030 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Canister assy 17011-S5A-A30

Valve, canister vent shut 17310-S5A-L31

and 2 screws 93893-05010-08

Online parts catalog link: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...L+PIPE+%281%29

I usually take the canister down and see if I can get the screws loose from the CVS valve before making an estimate. If the screws will come out, no need to replace the canister if it is not the actual problem.
Hi, I have a 2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Automatic (same as the OP had). I have the same code as well P1457 with about 110k miles on the car. The code has been on since the beginning of this year but emissions is due in about a month and I need to get it cleared and fixed. I have owned the car since 10k.

Do you guys recommend to get genuine honda parts or would aftermarket ones be good and last long as well? If I get the parts from rockauto, what would I get? Vapor Canister, Vapor Canister Vent Valve, and the two screws? (http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/h...ust+&+emission)

and how hard is it to do this yourself? I don't really work on cars much but I am a DIY guy. I plan on either getting it done or doing it myself depending on time.

Would appreciate any feedback and assistance. Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170913-211133.png
Views:	710
Size:	369.9 KB
ID:	111646  
Old 09-14-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bulls2030
Hi, I have a 2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Automatic (same as the OP had). I have the same code as well P1457 with about 110k miles on the car. The code has been on since the beginning of this year but emissions is due in about a month and I need to get it cleared and fixed. I have owned the car since 10k.

Do you guys recommend to get genuine honda parts or would aftermarket ones be good and last long as well? If I get the parts from rockauto, what would I get? Vapor Canister, Vapor Canister Vent Valve, and the two screws? (http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/h...ust+&+emission)

and how hard is it to do this yourself? I don't really work on cars much but I am a DIY guy. I plan on either getting it done or doing it myself depending on time.

Would appreciate any feedback and assistance. Thanks so much!

it is a pretty simple job,

jack the rear of the car up if you want to make it easier,

remove the entire cannister with the valve attached, it makes things much easier,

the cannister s only mounted with one screw/bolt, then just disconnect the hoses,

once removed, the valve is attached to the cannister with two screws.....these screws may be VERY RUSTY

going by your link it is the vapor cannister vent valve / solenoid that you need
Old 09-14-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1

remove the entire cannister with the valve attached, it makes things much easier,

the cannister s only mounted with one screw/bolt, then just disconnect the hoses,

once removed, the valve is attached to the cannister with two screws.....these screws may be VERY RUSTY

going by your link it is the vapor cannister vent valve / solenoid that you need
Thanks. I will order the parts and see how it goes. Much Appreciated for your help!
Old 09-14-2017
Registered!!

Quick Question, do you recommend I get the Cannister assembly as well (aka Vapor Canister)?
Old 09-15-2017
Registered!!

Quick Question, do you recommend I get the Cannister assembly as well (aka Vapor Canister)?
its not really nessessary unless its cracked, which is very unlikely,

some people choose to replace the cannister and valve together because sometimes the screws that hold the valve on are rusted and difficult to remove
Old 09-16-2017
Registered!!

some people choose to replace the cannister and valve together because sometimes the screws that hold the valve on are rusted and difficult to remove
so the part should come in the mail later today so i plan on doing this today. Whats the easiest/best way to remove the rusted screws? I jacked up the car and saw they are rusted.
Old 09-16-2017

so the part should come in the mail later today so i plan on doing this today. Whats the easiest/best way to remove the rusted screws? I jacked up the car and saw they are rusted.
Start soaking them in penetrating oil about 4 days ago
Old 09-17-2017
Registered!!

Start soaking them in penetrating oil about 4 days ago
Okay. So I jacked up the car and had no luck unscrewing the screws. They were rusted.
Old 09-17-2017
Registered!!

so i jacked up the car yesterday. i tried to take off the vent valve with the cannister on the car. the screws were rusted so it made it difficult to take off. i read your post again this morning and you recommended to take the whole canister off. can you guide me where the bolt is?
Old 09-17-2017
Registered!!

So with the help.of my uncle , we removed the cannister. (That was a pain to take that bolt off, it was extremely rusted.) And like you all said, it was a pain taking off the two screws for the vent valve.
So during the process, we were able to take one screw off the vent valve but the other we had to bend and the thread came out from the Canister. I wanted to put a new vapor cannister in since i wasnt sure how good it would seal but my uncle insisted it would be fine so we reused the vapor cannister.

So my question is since we only have one bolt on the cannister, is that okay? See attached pictures. I am just a little concerned the valve is slightly open. I am going to see this week if the CEL comes back on or not. Thoughts?
https://imgur.com/a/BCxI7
Old 09-17-2017

The O ring around the stub takes care of sealing. Missing a screw won't hurt anything as long as the valve can't fall off.

If it doesn't work, the CEL will come on again with the same code.
Old 09-18-2017
Registered!!

sorry for the late reply, havn't been on here in a bit,

i removed the entire cannister with the valve attached,

i used large vice grips to grab the screw heads with, it worked well, you will never get them off with a screwdriver
Old 09-18-2017
Registered!!

The O ring around the stub takes care of sealing. Missing a screw won't hurt anything as long as the valve can't fall off.

If it doesn't work, the CEL will come on again with the same code.
Thanks.I will drive it this week and see if it comes back on. Really appreciate the help of everyone here!
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

So the check engine light came on again. Ugh. Any advice? Should i replace the vapor canister too?
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

Just to give another update.

I got home and used my obd wifi android scanner to scan the code again. I am not getting the Code P1457 now. Now I am getting code P0497 (Evaporative Emission System Low Purge Flow).

Could this be because of not bolting one screw to the vapor canister (since the threads to bolt them in came out while removing the old CSV)? See pictures below.

https://imgur.com/a/Yy1wm

Or do I need to replace something else (like the vapor canister purge valve)?

Would really appreciate some help.

Last edited by bulls2030; 09-19-2017 at 09:48 PM. Reason: pictures not showing
Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Did you use OEM parts from hondaautomotiveparts.com as suggested or after-market from Rock Auto?
Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
Did you use OEM parts from hondaautomotiveparts.com as suggested or after-market from Rock Auto?
I bought this aftermarket one from amazon (although rockauto carries the same one)
Dorman 911-762 Charcoal Two-Way Evaporative Canister Valve

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C0UA88W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_MDq6VNyFhwCuI

Would it make a difference? I am not getting the same code though (p1457). I am getting a different code (p0497).
Would appreciate your help.