Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Is $1600 for new HG, timing belt, water pump, plugs, drive belts too much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bokonon is an unknown quantity at this point
Is $1600 for new HG, timing belt, water pump, plugs, drive belts too much?

My mother in law just gave us her 2003 Civic EX with 173,000 miles on it for $200 because it has a blown head gasket and also some sort of vibration in the left front at 50 mph.

I asked the local shop how much it would cost to make the car reliable again and they quoted me $1600 for new head gasket, machining if needed, new water pump, timing belt, plugs, and drive belts. I live in Wilmington Delaware which is basically a suburb of Philadelphia if anyone knows any great honda mechanics in the area.

Is this a decent price? I don't really want to drive it to another mechanic for a second quote, but I also don't want to over pay. I figure I'd basically be paying $1800 total for a Civic that might last another 5 years which sounds like a good deal to me (I know the automatic transmission might go but crossing my fingers it will last).

BTW I'm a novice mechanic but like figuring things out. Unfortunately I'm also a new home owner working on renovations so I don't have time to do this job myself.

Thanks for any advice you have!
Old 05-20-2017
Registered!!

Heavenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is $1600 for new HG, timing belt, water pump, plugs, drive belts too much?

I don't know a whole heck of a lot about fixing cars but I do know the cost of repairing things. And that price doesn't sound like it's overpriced. I have a mechanic in NY that is really honest and good to me and on my old car he had one of his guys fix the timing belt and water pump and he only charged me $500 which he said was way below what it should have cost because it took his guy almost the whole day to do it. Also, I'd get another estimate. And don't go to one of those chain stores. They charge way too much for labor. I like to go to a private place and the owner tells me the price flat when I leave my car. But like I said...I don't know how to do much on a car. But if you are mechanically inclined and have tools..you can go on YouTube and check out what the job would entail. I know a head gasket isn't an inexpensive fix, in itself.
Good luck.

Last edited by Heavenny; 05-20-2017 at 06:33 AM. Reason: The year of car
Old 05-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bokonon
I figure I'd basically be paying $1800 total for a Civic that might last another 5 years which sounds like a good deal to me
assuming your mechanic is good at his work, then i agree with the above,

i would recommend using honda parts as opposed to aftermarket parts, which this mechanic is probably installing, might be something you want to ask,

replace everything while he is in there.....

head gasket
water pump
timing belt tensioner
timing belt
crank seal
cam seal
drive belts
valve cover gasket
spark plugs
air filter
pcv valve

also make sure to use honda oem blue coolant, no aftermarket
Old 05-20-2017
Registered!!

Okay, thanks guys. Sounds like a fair price and I'll ask Monday if I can supply my own Honda brand parts for the job.
Old 05-20-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bokonon
I live in Wilmington Delaware
What!! Another Delawarian!! My wife is from Pike Creek area and I am from lower slower DE which is where we live now. There is a guy my dad goes to that is not really near you but in Elkton, MD. He only uses OEM parts and is a Honda guy. Maybe have him give you a quote to compare. Always good to get another opinion. Gary Simpers is his name, you can google his shop. There is also Martin Honda in Newark that is a dealer, which will charge you more but will have a great knowledge base.

I thought there was a shop that specialized in imports by Prices Corner. Can't think of it's name though.
Old 05-21-2017
Registered!!

Haha smalll world, small state! Thanks for the local mechanic suggestions. If my mechanic won't let me bring Honda parts I'll call Gary Simpers - not really that far from Wilmington as long as the car doesn't overheat while driving it!