Auto Transmission failures Post your issues with auto transmission failures here. 01-03 have had a high failure rates

Rebuilt trans dying (?) on 2001 EX auto. Can this car be saved?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
old_civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Rebuilt trans dying (?) on 2001 EX auto. Can this car be saved?

My 2001 Civic EX two-door's rebuilt automatic transmission -- rebuilt transmission with only 35,000 miles on it -- appears to be dying, but any advice would be appreciated, because this 7th gen Civic might be ready for the old junkyard in the sky.

Car has 275K miles on it (!) -- I am the original owner.

Original transmission died at the 240K mark. This rebuilt transmission, which cost me over $2400 in May of 2015, is now crapping out, only 35K into it. Of course it's now past warranty.

I first noticed some engine surging a few weeks ago and some loud whining noise under the hood, which I've been told is the transmission filter struggling to filter thick transmission fluid. Now, the problem has progressed to where it's increasingly difficult, almost impossible, to put the car into reverse during a cold morning start. About ten minutes of engine warming will eventually get the trans working somewhat, but there has been slipping of gears while driving.

This morning I could not get the car into gear at all. However, I tried something new: with my foot on the brake, five minutes of shifting between all gears. That didn't really help it get into gear at the time; however, I returned to the car an hour later, and the car went immediately into gear. Also: no whining noise. Even better: no slippage when I took it for a tentative test drive.

Of course, the problem could return first thing tomorrow morning, but this has given me some hope, even if it's a false hope. Could there be something else with the transmission besides a need for another rebuild (which I won't do)? Is it worth it to pay for a transmission flush and fluid change?

I'm about to junk the car which has served me well since 2001, but any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by old_civic; 03-26-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Rebuilt trans dying (?) on 2001 EX auto. Can this car be saved?

If it were mine I wouldn't have the transmission rebuilt with an engine that has 240k miles but, that's a moot point now. Anyway, an ATF drain and fill is a good place to start. If, you can DIY it even better as it's pretty simple to do. Best to do a 3x3 drain and fill (google search: https://www.google.com/#q=3x3+atf+change&*) because some ATF stays in differential when drained.

Also, Valvoline Maxlife Multi Vehicle full-synthetic ATF is very good substitute to Honda ATF..it's a bit thinner, has seal conditioner in it, sold in one gallon jugs and cost much less. Test and clean (screen) shift control solenoid (A & B): http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...-and-B-tests-1

Do not have it machined flushed...only do a drain & fill.