Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2004 Honda Civic Stalling/Jerking

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubberchickentm is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Honda Civic Stalling/Jerking

I have a 2004 Honda Civic LX manual transmission. I have a stalling problem that started a month or two ago. My car will stall when stopped and in neutral or very low rpms. This only happens when the engine is warm. It also has a hard time starting back up. I have to crank it and gas it to get it started. At first it happened maybe every few days but the more I drive it, the more often it stalls. If I don't drive it for a few days it doesn't stall at all. My car drives perfectly otherwise and it gets even better gas mileage than before.
I had the timing belt and water pump done in Nov.
The cel was on when it first started happening. Autozone said it was p0497. So, I started cheap, replaced spark plugs and air filter, put in an expensive fuel system cleaner and cleaned the iacv and throttle body. Didn't work.
Got it checked out at a few different places that said it could be fuel pump, crankshaft, or the transmission isn't getting enough air and that it was throwing a cylinder 3 misfire code.
Took it to a Honda dealership that couldn't find any codes or get it to stall but there was a leak in the crankshaft seal and a lean fuel mixture. Said my problem was probably that the valves weren't fitting right when they expanded when they get warm.
So, got my crankshaft seal fixed and oil pan gasket (needed that too) and had the crankshaft sensor connectors fixed (they were corroded).
Now my car started randomly bucking/jerking. Happens at any speed, the rpms just randomly drop and the car lurches. Hasn't stalled yet but like I said, it's better when I haven't driven it for a few days. So, not sure if fixing the crankshaft connectors fixed the stalling issue. If anybody has any suggestions, that would be great.
Old 05-04-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2004 Honda Civic Stalling/Jerking

and had the crankshaft sensor connectors fixed (they were corroded).
Now my car started randomly bucking/jerking.
could be related. Return to that shop?

The P0497 should be unrelated to the issue above.
Old 05-05-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

If it all started after the new timing belt then the timing could be off.
Old 05-10-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
could be related. Return to that shop?

The P0497 should be unrelated to the issue above.
I took it back and they replaced the connector with a new one. It's not jerking anymore but it's still stalling.
Old 05-10-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
If it all started after the new timing belt then the timing could be off.
Would it have taken a few months to start stalling if it was a timing issue?
Old 05-11-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's not jerking anymore but it's still stalling.
Does it run poorly or just idle too low?
Idle relearn?

Would it have taken a few months to start stalling if it was a timing issue?
A few months?
Not usually, it would have been apparent immediately.

If one of those engines is (cam timing) only one tooth off it may run a little bad. Once it gets to 2 or 3 teeth out of time, the computer should shut it down at about 2 seconds. Or maybe 10 seconds, Hell I can't remember now.
Old 05-11-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Does it run poorly or just idle too low?
Idle relearn?

A few months?
Not usually, it would have been apparent immediately.

If one of those engines is (cam timing) only one tooth off it may run a little bad. Once it gets to 2 or 3 teeth out of time, the computer should shut it down at about 2 seconds. Or maybe 10 seconds, Hell I can't remember now.
Yeah, got the timing done in Nov and it didn't start stalling until February. It runs absolutely great, idle and everything. Just randomly when I'm stopped and the engine is warm, the engine will just shut off. Almost like it stalled but won't make a noise or anything.
Old 05-11-2016

Originally Posted by Rubberchickentm
Yeah, got the timing done in Nov and it didn't start stalling until February. It runs absolutely great, idle and everything. Just randomly when I'm stopped and the engine is warm, the engine will just shut off. Almost like it stalled but won't make a noise or anything.
Sounds like it is an all new issue then.
Old 05-28-2019
Registered!!

Dthi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rubberchickentm
Did you end up finding out what was wrong with it I have the exact same issue