Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Need advice on transmission rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SolidHollow is an unknown quantity at this point
Need advice on transmission rebuild

I am having a friend rebuild my BMXA transmission that has a clogged filter. There is no slippage or anything but I figured since I am going to have the transmission removed I might as well be proactive and do a rebuild.

My problem is that I have purchased a rebuild kit and a torque converter and I am only now starting to hear that BMXA transmission rebuilds are notorious for being unreliable. Is this true? Has anyone here had success with rebuilding this transmission?

The kit I purchased is a precision international rebuild kit with:
1 Precision International Overhaul Kit (without solenoid seals).
1 Filter updated double
12 Raybestos GPX Frictions
12 Steels Plates

I spent about $325 on the kit and TC already. I don't want to shovel out more $$$ only to find out this thing is a total loss. Would I be better off only changing the filter and not doing a rebuild? Any information would be helpful. I have 14 days to return this kit if it isn't worth the risk.
Old 12-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need advice on transmission rebuild

Originally Posted by SolidHollow

My problem is that I have purchased a rebuild kit and a torque converter and I am only now starting to hear that BMXA transmission rebuilds are notorious for being unreliable. Is this true? Has anyone here had success with rebuilding this transmission?
Yes, at least a couple people have made threads detailing parts of their overhauls.

One needs to be meticulous and clean in the build, there's a lot of stuff to be careful with. (same can be said of just about any major trans work)
Would I be better off only changing the filter and not doing a rebuild?
I'd say it's all or nothing..
Do it all---- or don't bother with any of it..

You will probably find 3rd pack is worn out or close to it.

Originally Posted by ezone
More than a quarter million miles, it's probably done, Time for a rebuild or replacement?
Originally Posted by ezone
You understand why the filter is getting clogged? Because of clutch debris, the trans needs an overhaul.
Old 12-12-2015
Registered!!

Thank you for the info. It's very helpful. Anymore tips or advice is welcomed.
Old 12-12-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A shop manual specifically for your trans?

find and clean all the tiny little screens, they hide in and under solenoids?

Search for transmission rebuild or overhaul or something like that in this forum, I know poster johndeerebones made a thread on his overhaul, but I think it was on an 01 car.
There was at least one other that made a fairly detailed thread but I don't remember his name.
Old 12-13-2015
Registered!!

I don't have a rebuild manual. Any clue where I can order one?
Old 12-13-2015

Back when I worked with a guy that built transmissions all the time, I think he got manuals for American cars from Transtar. IDK if such a thing is available for these though.
A regular Honda service manual should have far more info than you need for a trans. Ebay?
Old 12-13-2015
Registered!!

Got it. Thanks again ezone, You've been very helpful.
Old 12-13-2015
Registered!!

Star1967 will become famous soon enough

You can try Chilton but I don't know if they contain an exploded view of the transmission.
Old 12-13-2015

(EDIT: nevermind this part I just erased, it's for 8th gen.)

There is a thread here some where with links to 7th gen service manuals too.

Last edited by ezone; 12-13-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2015

Check this thread, start on the last page for newest links

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic/235295-looking-7th-gen-manual-free-updated.html
Old 12-21-2015
Registered!!

I have another question I am curious about as well. Is there any other model transmission that could simply be swapped out with the BMXA on the 04 civic?
Old 12-21-2015

Check a Hollander Interchange Guide.....I think you'll find these are probably used in only Civics.
Old 04-11-2022
Registered!!

Rgiles721 is an unknown quantity at this point

here's something that helped me get the one i pulled from a pick n pull torn down and rebuilt just remember to take pictures once you've cracked the case open and start going thru taking the valve bodies out theirs several things that will need to be put back in the proper place in order to get it working again prime example would be the tiny ball bearings in valve body thats closest to the bottom of the transmission then theirs two springs and caps on the other side that will shoot out when you've gotten the peice broke loose from the main portion of the valve body just take your time and remember to take plenty of pictures at each stage of the valve body tear down also if possible leave the bolts in their parts as you lay them down this will help you to remember where they go back when you start putting it back together