Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

oil leak from intake mainfold or bad head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hoofboy is an unknown quantity at this point
oil leak from intake mainfold or bad head gasket?

I just replaced my head, rebuilt, and head gasket and put everything back together, runs fine, but I've got an oil leak that seems to come from the bottom side of the intake manifold. Checked the valve cover gasket, it was dry. Torque on head bolts is to specs, but I used new stretch bolts and was wondering if I need to tighten them more than the 49 ft/lbs? Thanks in advance
Old 07-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: oil leak from intake mainfold or bad head gasket?

the intake manifold or gasket can not leak oil,

i would suspect it be coming from the valve cover or the oil filter in that area
Old 07-13-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The head bolts are not stretch type
The head gasket should not be able to leak oil
The intake manifold and gasket cannot leak oil

your oil leak could be merely leftover residue from the mess made during the job,
could be VTEC solenoid valve gaskets or pressure switch,
could be bore plug where dist would go, valve cover gasket, cam caps,
could be other stuff? Oil filter, oil pressure switch?
Old 07-17-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

above
Old 07-17-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hoofboy
I just replaced my head, rebuilt, and head gasket and put everything back together, runs fine, but I've got an oil leak that seems to come from the bottom side of the intake manifold. Checked the valve cover gasket, it was dry. Torque on head bolts is to specs, but I used new stretch bolts and was wondering if I need to tighten them more than the 49 ft/lbs? Thanks in advance
Please list your model .. if you have Vtec .. it could very well be leaking from there as stated by Ezone. Also pics would help too.
Old 07-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hoofboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a non Vtec motor, where is the oil pressure switch? Should there be a distributor plug if there is no distributor? thanks
Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
Please list your model .. if you have Vtec .. it could very well be leaking from there as stated by Ezone. Also pics would help too.
Old 07-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofboy
I have a non Vtec motor, where is the oil pressure switch?
Above the oil filter

Should there be a distributor plug if there is no distributor? thanks
There is. It's the black cap plugging the hole in the end of the head where a distributor would have gone if it were so equipped. They tend to leak after many miles just like all the rest of the rubber gaskets.

Get a can of brake cleaner (or similar) and clean off all the goo and oil residue so you can start fresh. Drive it a while then recheck for new evidence of leaks.

Throwing on a coating of talc can help identify leaks too, but you gotta start with a perfectly clean surface before throwing talc at it. Any white powder can work, including foot spray or Right Guard.