Stuck in park. Brake Lights Don't Work. Horn Does Not Work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JustaRhymez is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuck in park. Brake Lights Don't Work. Horn Does Not Work.

Hey all!

So I found this forum while trying to figure out how to fix a problem with my 2001 Civic LX (Coupe). Love the forum, and while I hate to start asking a bunch of questions right after signing up, I'd appreciate any help.

The problem:
My car is stuck in Park. I shove something in the hole beside the shifter, so I can get it out of park. My brake lights are also not working. My horn isn't working. Also my #7 (15 amp) fuse keeps blowing immediately after putting a new one in. I've tried putting a bigger amp fuse and even then it still blows it immediately after setting it in.

I've installed a new brake light switch.

'm pretty lost. So if you guys have any suggestions, let me know. Thanks a lot!
Old 07-08-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stuck in park. Brake Lights Don't Work. Horn Does Not Work.

Welcome.

Kinda hard to describe how to chase a short circuit, but at least it's a constant instead or random and intermittent. That should make it somewhat ....less difficult, meaning you might get to know right away if you found the problem or not.

I assume the fuse blows immediately while trying to insert it in the fusebox, you don't need to press the brake pedal to make it blow?
Don't have to honk the horn to make it blow either?

Got a box of fuses?
How about a test light and some lengths of wire?

Wiring diagrams? Search this site for a thread like 'looking for a 7th gen manual look here' and browse the last page for newest links.
----
----
Brake light switch and horn relay are connected to fuse 7 in the engine compartment.....so

remove the horn relay from the fusebox and
disconnect the brake light switch connector
and see if the fuse blows.
----
----
If it still blows then the problem must be somewhere between the fusebox and brake light switch connector.

The circuit runs through the big harnesses that wrap around the engine compartment and go hidden in the dashboard.
----
----
The dash fusebox is between those two items too, so I might locate the 2 harness plugs that contain the circuit in question (connectors J and O, you may need to locate some diagrams) and disconnect one first and check if the fuse still blows, then disconnect the other see if the fuse still blows. This should tell you which side the short would be on.
----
----
Now I'd start looking for anything that might be a place to begin...looking for anything that could have got into a wire harness, such as crash damage or aftermarket electronics that have been installed (remote start, alarm, etc.).
----
----
Test light can be set up to be lit as long as the short to ground is present, and would go out when the short is gone. You can wiggle harnesses and whatnot, and if the light flickers or goes out you know you are getting close to the problem.
Old 07-09-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^ Excellent advice.

Stop using larger fuses.....your wiring harness is the next fuseable link.
Old 07-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

is it possible you replaced a brake light bulb or other bulb with the incorrect one?

also, disconnect the new switch and see if the fuse blows
Old 07-09-2015

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by alex_nyc
is it possible you replaced a brake light bulb or other bulb with the incorrect one?
If this was the case it would blow when the brake was pressed, not instantly.

Edit: Here is a list. Horn, Brake lights, Brake Signals to ABS Control, Cruise system, ECM/PCM & MICU.

Last edited by CraigW; 07-09-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-09-2015
Registered!!

I have removed the horn relay from the fusebox and
disconnected the brake light switch connector
and the fuse still blows instantly. I'm having trouble finding the diagrams so I can locate the harness plugs.
Old 07-09-2015

^^^ PM with an email address.
Old 07-09-2015
Registered!!

I sent you a message
Old 07-10-2015

Did you get the 2 small files sent ??