Upper Mounting Bolt on Alternator Problem - Honda Civic Forum

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2015   #1  
Registered!!

trellex is an unknown quantity at this point
Upper Mounting Bolt on Alternator Problem

I'm replacing my alternator. Everything was going smoothly until I reached this hitch: The upper mounting bolt was completely missing from when I removed it. So, obviously I went to the stealership and got a new one.

Here's my main problem now: there isn't enough clearance to get the bolt to insert, as seen in attached picture.

Anyone have an ideas? I thought about lifting the engine, but I've never done that and wouldn't know where to look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150703_223715.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	87842  
trellex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015   #2  
Allow me to explain through interpretive dance

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Upper Mounting Bolt on Alternator Problem

Unbolt the mount, raise the engine.
ezone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #3  
Registered!!

emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Take off the bracket, place a jack under the oil pan ,play up and down. Another useful thing you can do : Sharpen the end of the bolt a little like a pencil it helps a lot getting it to the tread in case the alternator bolt canal is not straight
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellex View Post
I'm replacing my alternator. Everything was going smoothly until I reached this hitch: The upper mounting bolt was completely missing from when I removed it. So, obviously I went to the stealership and got a new one.

Here's my main problem now: there isn't enough clearance to get the bolt to insert, as seen in attached picture.

Anyone have an ideas? I thought about lifting the engine, but I've never done that and wouldn't know where to look.
emich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #4  
Registered!!

alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

is that even the correct bolt (length)? I didnt have that problem with my alt.
alex_nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #5  
Registered!!

emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Or using long pray bar (2x4 will work too) move the engine and push the bolt.
emich is offline   Reply With Quote