Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jherna85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible head gasket repair scheme????

Hello Everyone,

I need your help.

I recently paid for a head gasket repair. Since then, I have had to take it back a few times because I was still experiencing overheat problems.

First time, it was a leaking hose (service covered under warranty).

Second time they installed a cooling fan switch.
They claimed they could not find a leak and were pretty sure the fan wasn't turning on enough [service NOT covered under warranty but they decided to wait for me to try out the car first for a little time to see that it was indeed the right fix and then I would pay for the service (which by the way was NOT actually officially authorized by me, meaning they went ahead and did the repair without my consent).

Not long after that which brings us to now, I had ANOTHER overheat condition.

Just took it to the mechanic shop again and they are now claiming they have found a leak and it is indeed coming from the engine. I was told they would have to send the cylinder block and head gasket back to the machining shop in order to find out if something is defective.

BUT, I was told, MORE THAN LIKELY, it will be a CRACKED ENGINE BLOCK (WHICH IS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY)....

....My conclusion is this: THEY ARE HUSTLING ME.

Either the block is not damaged and they are trying to convince me it is because you don't get to check a repair like that to verify the job was done, or the block is damaged in which case they lied when at the outset of the head gasket repair they claimed the engine block needed no repair.

A third possibility is that from the time they installed the cooling fan switch to the time the car overheated again (TWO WEEKS) the engine block did actually suffer extensive enough damage that it now needs repair. Is this possible???

What do you guys think? Am I being hustled? Has anyone ever gone through something like this before? If they say it is the engine block do I have legal recourse?

ANYONE'S help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Re: Possible head gasket repair scheme????

Wait, what year is your car?
There is a problem with engine blocks cracking, and there was an extended warranty placed on it.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-cracking.html

Furthermore, please only make one topic.
Double posting only makes for confusion, as there are going to be multiple answers in each forum.

(I dunno what a mod should do here, this post is in 8th & 9th gen, but the other post here:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ir-scheme.html
Is under 7th gen...guess we need to wait and find out what year the vehicle is)
Old 07-01-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jordan1794
Wait, what year is your car?
There is a problem with engine blocks cracking, and there was an extended warranty placed on it.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-cracking.html

Furthermore, please only make one topic.
Double posting only makes for confusion, as there are going to be multiple answers in each forum.

(I dunno what a mod should do here, this post is in 8th & 9th gen, but the other post here:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ir-scheme.html
Is under 7th gen...guess we need to wait and find out what year the vehicle is)
I have a 2004 Honda Civic LX.

I apologize for posting it so much. I just really need help and I just posted wherever I felt it was even slightly relevant.
Old 07-01-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jherna85
I have a 2004 Honda Civic LX.

I apologize for posting it so much. I just really need help and I just posted wherever I felt it was even slightly relevant.
SORRY i just realized I placed this post in the wrong generation.
Old 07-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Alright well, the extended warranty I posted does NOT apply to your car then.
Seeing as how you car is 7th gen, try not to respond to this topic any further, as it will either be deleted, or merged with the other topic in the 7th gen section.
Watch there for any answers, and if I were you I'd go an edit it and say what year and model your car is.
Good luck, hope you get some insight into your problem.
Old 07-01-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Yes it will get moved and in the mean time stop posting the same thread in multiple sections.

It will get seen.

I deleted what I could.
Old 07-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Deleted and moved.
Old 07-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen cars with "replaced" clutch too
Originally Posted by jherna85
Hello Everyone,

I need your help.

I recently paid for a head gasket repair. Since then, I have had to take it back a few times because I was still experiencing overheat problems.

First time, it was a leaking hose (service covered under warranty).

Second time they installed a cooling fan switch.
They claimed they could not find a leak and were pretty sure the fan wasn't turning on enough [service NOT covered under warranty but they decided to wait for me to try out the car first for a little time to see that it was indeed the right fix and then I would pay for the service (which by the way was NOT actually officially authorized by me, meaning they went ahead and did the repair without my consent).

Not long after that which brings us to now, I had ANOTHER overheat condition.

Just took it to the mechanic shop again and they are now claiming they have found a leak and it is indeed coming from the engine. I was told they would have to send the cylinder block and head gasket back to the machining shop in order to find out if something is defective.

BUT, I was told, MORE THAN LIKELY, it will be a CRACKED ENGINE BLOCK (WHICH IS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY)....

....My conclusion is this: THEY ARE HUSTLING ME.

Either the block is not damaged and they are trying to convince me it is because you don't get to check a repair like that to verify the job was done, or the block is damaged in which case they lied when at the outset of the head gasket repair they claimed the engine block needed no repair.

A third possibility is that from the time they installed the cooling fan switch to the time the car overheated again (TWO WEEKS) the engine block did actually suffer extensive enough damage that it now needs repair. Is this possible???

What do you guys think? Am I being hustled? Has anyone ever gone through something like this before? If they say it is the engine block do I have legal recourse?

ANYONE'S help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

is this a dealer or private repair shop?