Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Alternator Top Bracket Threading & Bolt Issue

Old 05-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tarbris is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternator Top Bracket Threading & Bolt Issue

I have a 2004 Honda Civic si 1.7L

It started when I heard an awful rattling noise coming from my engine. Inspecting it further, I found the top bolt that holds my alternator had slid out. I tried putting it back in, but it gets "stuck". I can hand-screw it very lightly at first, but then it gives a lot of resistance and I can't tighten all the way even with a wrench. I didn't force it for fear of torquing the head off it or something.

I've been told to retap the thread and use a die tool on the bolt, but I'm unsure if I need to know the diameter/threading before hand.

Apologies for the noob question. I'm a noob.
Old 05-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Alternator Top Bracket Threading & Bolt Issue

Yes, you will need to know the size of the bolt to get the correct tap. I would also recommend that you use a bottoming tap or a plug tap if available. A regular tap has a taper and starts cutting threads gradually while a bottoming tap looks more like a bolt and starts cutting threads more quickly. When you are cleaning up the threads in an existing hole a bottoming tap is preferred and if it is a blind hole a bottoming tap will cut threads all the way to the bottom. You can use a regular tapered tap but make sure that you are cleaning up the exiting threads and not cutting new threads.

You can use a die to clean the threads on the bolt but it would probably be easier to just buy a new bolt of the same size and length.
Old 05-01-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Is the the large, long bolt at the top?

Ahhh, such a pain to get it out. I am pretty sure you need to remove the alternator to actually get it all the way out. Have you tried moving it around? Are you able to slide it all the way out? Probably not.....

I think it is part number 10 on the picture... link below

http://torontohondaparts.com/Honda/C...G_BRACKET/5746

You could re-tap the bolt, but why not just get a new one? I'm sure they are only a few bucks, even from Honda.
Old 05-03-2015
Registered!!

Tarbris is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the response.

Yes, it looks like part #10. I did try moving it around and screwing it unscrewing it once or twice, but I was doing this before work and I didn't have a lot of time to muck around with it.

Wow, getting a new bolt is so easy. I'll definitely buy a new bolt. You wouldn't happen to know how to remove it? There doesn't seem to be enough clearance to pull it straight out. I guess I'll have to remove a bunch of other things to get it out?
Old 05-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't happen to know how to remove it? There doesn't seem to be enough clearance to pull it straight out. I guess I'll have to remove a bunch of other things to get it out?
Unbolt the motor mount top nuts and remove the bracket between engine and mount.
Place a floor jack with a block of wood under the oil pan. Jack up the engine until you have enough room to remove the bolt.

I work with a lift so I have a jackstand under this engine....

Name:  k9k3llx.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  784.6 KB

Name:  qs25KbX.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  776.7 KB

I removed the entire motor mount as I was doing the timing belt service and find it easier.

More pics in this post if anyone cares to look
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4684179