Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Civic 05 Overheated, P0117, and engine stopped

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shehzad is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic 05 Overheated, P0117, and engine stopped

Hi,
My civic Lx 05 overheated with OBD P0117.
Today I checked the coolant and added almost half gallon coolant. The Engine oil was black thick with a bad smell. Replaced the Oil.
While I was compression testing, I notice water coming out of the other spark plug hole. The Compression Test Result is 190-190-210-185.
I need the expert opinion to proceed and what could be expected. I am trying to do it my self to save some money if I can. Thanks
Old 08-30-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Civic 05 Overheated, P0117, and engine stopped

You let it get so hot that it quit running on its own?

OIL smelled bad? (Ever smelled a catastrophically overheated engine?)

Was it really water (coolant) coming out of the spark plug hole?

P0117
It needs to reach about 300 degrees F to set that code.

I need the expert opinion to proceed and what could be expected
Stick a fork in it, it's done.

You could prove a head gasket breach, pull the head off and see how bad it is, and rering it or whatever while it's apart.

BUT
Cost effective solution is probably gonna be engine replacement. PLUS a new radiator, and all cooling system hoses. Make sure the radiator fan does run, you may as well get a temp switch for that too.
Old 08-30-2014
Registered!!

shehzad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Thanks for reply. My baby girl was driving back home on weekend and the car overheated.
Yes the oil was really smell bad.
Yes, it was water (just added to the radiator) coming out of the others spark plug hole during the compression tests.
There is no sign of water (coolant) in the engine oil. and the compression test results are 190-190-210-185
thanks
Old 08-30-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shehzad
. My baby girl was driving back home on weekend and the car overheated.
Oh crap that scared me...I thought maybe I saw the car:

Friday at the end of work, I changed oil on a Civic and noticed it had the symptoms of a blown head gasket, but the young lady didn't have money or time to dig into it....She had to be on the road to get home about a state away.

Tried to warn, tried to explain, and ended up putting gallons of water in the trunk in case it started running hot.

I guess it was all I could do......
Old 08-31-2014
Registered!!

Dozen970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all. I'm replying to this post because I have the same issue. Over the past 2 months I have had problems with my 05 civic ex. It started one day when I saw the temp needle starting to rise above 50% and continued to rise. At that point I did not hear the fans come on. I spoke to a mechanic friend and he said I should replace the thermostat, which I did. Just a few days after that after driving on the highway and getting off in town it started to rise so I pulled over.
I then replaced the coolant fan switch, and checked the relay fan which seemed to work. It has been so inconsistent at doing it I'm at a loss. A few weeks ago if I had the heat on on the way to work in the morning it would start to climb as I went up a small hill. So I would pull over. Other times I would go a short distance around town and once it warmed up it would start to climb, and I would not hear the fan come on. Recently with the ac on and doing the same trip to work it hasn't done it in some time, but would do in town. Also when I start the car in the am the heat does not work until I'm on the highway, and seems that there is a lot of moisture on the lower part of my windshield. A few days ago when I started it up and the engine light came on and it was hesitant once I pushed on the gas(few days before put a gas treatment in my car). I then brought it to my local shop and the code that came up was mis fire on cylinder 1&2. He ran a **** load of tests and assumed it was the head, but there were no clear signs he said. All the tests checked out he said. I hand it to him for not just pulling the trigger and not going the repair without being 100% sure. He asked me to take it to Honda to get another opinion. So I guess I would really like to know if you guys thing it is the Head or not. Based on all the same issues I'm reading in all these forums it sounds like it is. Also if I get it fixed will that be the end of the problems? I have just over 100,000 miles, I am the second owner and the previous is a family member who took great care of it. PLEASE HELP IM AT A LOSS

Last edited by Dozen970; 08-31-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: It does not leak any fluid and the oil seems normal and no white smoke
Old 08-31-2014

I hand it to him for not just pulling the trigger and not going the repair without being 100% sure.
Have this guy do this test:

Apply shop air line pressure (hopefully over 150 PSI) to each cylinder, while watching the coolant level in the radiator.

When he gets to the leaking cylinder, the liquid level will rise or change.
That's proof of a head gasket breach.
Old 08-31-2014
Registered!!

I don't know the mechanic that well honestly. I wonder if he will be ok with some dude going in there andasking him to perform this test. I was hoping (still) that the HG was not the issue. Based on what I have been reading it sounds like it's blown though. Let's say it isn't....any other ideas of things it could be or things I could check?

Thank you for your info I really appreciate it.
Old 08-31-2014

Originally Posted by Dozen970
I don't know the mechanic that well honestly. I wonder if he will be ok with some dude going in there andasking him to perform this test.
Many of us have egos that can't let someone else dictate how to do our work.

The smart ones should be more open to new ideas (better diagnostic methods).

A head gasket can fail in any of maybe a dozen different ways. Many mechanics only think to look for a few of those. These head gaskets when bad will usually pass most of the typical tests that people are familiar with (mixing fluids, compression test, block checker fluid).

I hate to waste time doing tests that don't net a diagnosis.
I try to use the test methods that garner results quickly and accurately. This test has not failed me on this particular engine when the symptoms present themselves.
I was hoping (still) that the HG was not the issue.
You and 99% of everyone else this happens to.

Let's say it isn't....
Ok, it isn't.

any other ideas of things it could be or things I could check?
Not really, given your description of symptoms.
If it passes my testing THEN I look elsewhere. Prove it is good or bad.
Old 08-31-2014

Ok....Most of your symptoms are those of low coolant level......but you have no external leaks, that leaves the head gasket as the cause of loss.

If the coolant reservoir overfills while the radiator goes low, and the radiator and cap are performing correctly, it's a head gasket.

If your windshield is collecting moisture, it could just be condensation. If it were antifreeze you would be smelling sickeningly sweet odor in the cabin.
Old 08-31-2014
Registered!!

Thanks again. Will get in touch with him this week and see if he will do it for me.
By the way I am as old as your board. Same year. RIP JAY ADAMS-legend
Old 09-02-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

not a DIY article, so moving to the correct section
Old 09-02-2014

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
not a DIY article, so moving to the correct section
Damn, I missed that again