Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Honda input shaft bearing service bulletin - will they do my clutch at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mfskarphedin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Honda input shaft bearing service bulletin - will they do my clutch at the same time?

Because of my own poor clutching habits (going low speeds a lot with the clutch half in, like in parking lots and backing up, to avoid jerking back and forth,) my clutch is very worn down, but not all the way. However, I have to start saving NOW to get it done. Yeah, I know...

Ok, the mechanic got me straightened out on how to drive, and I'll practice, but my question is that while he had some transmission diagrams up to explain to me how the procedure goes, he pointed out that there's a service bulletin for the "input shaft bearing," which also requires the engine and transmission to be taken apart in the same manner as a clutch repair.

So I'm really shy in real life to ask the dealer yet, but if this service hasn't been done on my car yet, and the dealer is going to do it (free, I assume???), would they be willing to add on the then relatively minor cost of replacing the clutch while they already have the thing apart?

Anyone tried anything similar and have some experience to relate? I'm really bummed; I just can't win.

Thanks,

Kristen
Old 07-08-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda input shaft bearing service bulletin - will they do my clutch at the same t

Recalls are free.
Bulletins are not recalls, they are for information only. Factory bulletins clearly explain if the warranty coverage is affected.
I don't remember a bulletin on on this issue from Honda. Got a number? Was it from Honda, or ATRA, or sometone else?

If your mechanic is going to do the trans work, simply ask him to replace the clutch while it's apart. Ask how much extra this will be. The trans will already be out, so there would be some clutch parts and a reasonable amount of labor to replace it along with doing the rest of the large job.
Old 07-08-2014
Registered!!

Re: Honda input shaft bearing service bulletin - will they do my clutch at the same t

He might have seen it on this forum. But it says there's no TSB. As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with my input shaft bearing, but there is a problem with my clutch. What I was getting at is that if the dealer was going to fix something in my transmission for free, I could maybe have them throw the clutch repair in at the same time for much less than just having my mechanic do it straight up. $2K, he says, and I've already spent over that on my car this calendar year. Guess that's a no-go, though.

It'll probably take me 2 years on my fixed income to save that much, and I'm sure the clutch won't last that long. It was grabby when I bought it just 15,000 miles/3.25 years ago, so I ****ed it up bad. Just...searching around for options in desperation.

Thanks,

Kristen
Old 07-08-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

You might check around for a better price. I had the clutch replaced at a Honda dealer about three years ago and it was just over $1,000. I doubt the cost has doubled in three years.
Old 07-08-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A dealer will not do anything with your transmission for free. There is no recall on it and the car is far beyond the standard new car warranty period.

If there are no unusual (whine/growl/howl) noises from the transmission bearings (most good techs can quickly spot these during a test drive), then I don't really see a need to open the transmission up to do anything about it. At this point it seems to me like an unnecessary expense.

So have your shop just fix the clutch problem then.

Change the trans fluid, sure. That should be considered routine maintenance and may be considered part of, or added on to, the clutch job.

I can't comment on the price, I don't know what jobs that $2k is supposed to cover......
Second opinions can be valuable.

HTH
Old 07-08-2014
Registered!!

Ok, thanks, when the time comes (I have something saved up or the clutch reaches the end of its life, whichever happens first,) I'll get a couple more estimates - the local dealer and a couple other places that aren't in my town but are really good. This local guy is kinda expensive.

I feel a little better, thanks.