Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

04 EL water in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YYZRush747 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 04 EL water in trunk

So I took the car into a glass/trim shop to have them leak test it. They found that the water is getting in under the rear windshield seal where there is a body seam. Long story short they wanted a ridiculous amount of money to remove/re-install the glass, seal the seams, and replace the mouldings (which can break when the glass is removed). The "big name autoglass" shop 10 feet away gave me a much more reasonable quote for the work and the car is currently there getting sealed. I'm pretty sure this will finally end the leaking and if it doesn't, it's time to sell the car.
Old 04-15-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats, and good luck.
Old 04-16-2014
Registered!!

wllvv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YYZRush747
I found about a quarter of an inch of water in the spare-tire area of my trunk yesterday. It rained quite a bit on Saturday plus I drove through pretty heavy rain two weekends ago for 1.5 hours. The pressboard trunk thing (brown cardboard type thing) shows some water damage on the right (passenger side) plus the felt carpet piece was moist (not SOAKED) in that area. I took everything out of the trunk and checked to see where I could feel water. I noticed more moisture on the right side which corresponds to the wetness I felt. 3 years back, a neighbour backed into my passenger side rear fender/bumper which caused the passenger side tail light to crack (it was replaced by the body shop). It doesn't seem to be wet in the area of the light and I saw no water enter the car when I tested it yesterday. I highly doubt there was any damage to the seams as the impact was very light. I noticed what I assume are drainage hoses from the sunroof on both sides which lead out somewhere behind the bumper. Both were bone dry.

My thoughts are that the touchless car wash's high pressure water somehow made it's way into the trunk or there is indeed a poor seal at the passenger side tail light. We had one wicked storm this summer which required me to drive through high water (maybe half to 1 foot at most). The amount of water in the trunk plus the general lack of surface rust back there makes me think this is not a constant thing. I dried out the trunk with towels and will monitor it after the next rain to see if anything has accumulated again.

Any ideas? I checked out some of the previous threads about water in the trunk but my situation doesn't seem to be from blocked sunroof drains or tail light gaskets. The rear passenger floor is not wet.
Same setup here on my 06 HCH.
I was backeneded in 2012 - about a 3 mph bump - caused $1100 bumper skin replacement - at dealers body shop - found water in the spare well after heavy rain thanksgiving 2013 - not sure how it got in there, so I dried it up and put paper towels in with the spare - found water in the spare well again march 2014 - The body repair is also out of warranty when I first noticed the leak - it rained and snowed again yesterday when I first read this.

I went out to double check my trunk. It was bone dry until I opened the trunk lid - then I saw a trickle of water drip down the trunks back bulkhead and pool in the spare well - I took some pictures yesterday.
I already had my trunk liner removed so I had the trunk open for a few minutes while I pulled out the spare than snapped a few pics.

My two guesses so far are
1: the trunk lid vent - that little rectangular black plastic tab in the upper left corner of the second pic above and to the left of the big rectangular trunk lid rubber bumper.
2: behind the bulkhead frame where the trickle seemed to start after I opened the trunk - but that seems less likely to me then the trunk lid vent leaking into the trunk when I open the trunk lid.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P101044.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	86534   Click image for larger version

Name:	P101047.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	86535   Click image for larger version

Name:	P101048.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	86536   Click image for larger version

Name:	P101049.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	86537   Click image for larger version

Name:	P101050.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	86538  

Old 04-23-2014
Registered!!

YYZRush747 is an unknown quantity at this point

The re/re of the glass and installation of additional urethane at the seams has solved the issue. No water gets in. I'm over the moon about finally being able to enjoy the car again and not worry about finding water in the trunk after it rains!
Old 04-23-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for updated information.
Old 12-07-2017
Registered!!

RustyShackle will become famous soon enough

I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out where the water in my trunk has been coming from. Having a constantly fogged rear window is pretty annoying.

I have only observed water in the spare well and usually stagnating on the drivers side right under the trunk vent. One day I set up the hose right over the rear window and flung the back seats down to see if I can detect any leaking. I saw nothing.

Finally tore everything out today and had a good look. Sunroof drain tubes look nice and clear and rubber feels soft but no cracks. The only thing that looks suspect to me is this badly rusted out bolt on the rear drivers shock?

Passenger side looks fine

Any ideas?
Old 12-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

You would probably be best to focus on a leaking rear window.
You could also add more urethane to the metal seams in the trunk well in case the water is coming from the spray of the wheels or under the car.
The bolt on the shock tower is normal IMO.
Water leaks suck. I had a Subaru that had a leaking front windshield A-pillar and would drip water on my leg when turning from the pooled water in the dash.
Old 05-10-2019
Registered!!

BLEXV4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, just FYI, my Mother-in-Laws EL has had a trunk leak for about 3 years. I caulked the seams, spoiler and it still leaked. The main area of leakage after a rainstorm was the drivers side near that vent. I had a bit of water on the other side as well. Then I noticed that there seemed to be a tube disconnected on the drivers side from the top of the trunk at the bottom. I reconnected it and we will see if this worked. The tube from the other side was slightly ajar, and it was totally reconnected. I think they are drain lines from maybe the sunroof.

I hope this works. Waiting for the next rainstorm.