Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

Rad fans not kicking on - its not the switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BassMasta808 is on a distinguished road
Rad fans not kicking on - its not the switch

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of a hard time figure this out after days of researching and parts being replaced. A little history:

About 8 or 9 months ago the car overheated and had a major overhaul on the cooling system and related systems. Parts replaced:

Head gasket (head did not warp)
Water pump
Timing belt
Radiator/cap/hoses/thermostat/thermostat gasket
Vtec solenoid gasket (for good measure)
Valve cover gasket
Heater core flushed

Car drove great around town with no issues after that.

3 weeks ago I went on an 800 mile trip and the car started getting hot about 600 miles in and blew the cap off my reservoir tank, coolant spraying everywhere. Pulled over and removed thermostat (which was locked shut) and was able to make it the rest of the way to my destination. When I arrived I re-replaced the following:

Rad cap
Reservoir tank
Thermostat/thermostat gasket
Cleaned thermostat housing and made sure it wasn't warped.

Now rad fans do not kick on. Replaced:

Fan switch in the thermostat housing

Fans still will not kick on at operating temp. They do, however, run when the AC is on. They do not kick on when ignition switch is turned on like they used to. I haven't tried the relay yet, but if both fans kick on when the AC is on, doesn't that mean the relay is ok?

Heat works. AC works. No lost coolant. No milky oil. No smoking. Doesn't burn a drop of oil from oil change to oil drain. Car is religiously maintained....

2005. 145,000 miles... I'm about to dump her at the dealership for a new Si.

SMS (Save My Seventhgen)
Old 08-20-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rad fans not kicking on - its not the switch

They do not kick on when ignition switch is turned on like they used to.
It never did this. If it did, it's not supposed to.

Turn the key to ON, do not start the engine.
Jumper the 2 wires in the fan temp. switch connector.
Do the fans run?
Old 08-20-2013
Registered!!

Yes they did, I bought the car pretty much new. But idk maybe you're right, now you got me thinking if they did or not. Pretty certain they did cuz I'd hear them. Can you explain how to jump the switch connector? I assume just take a paperclip and stick it in the switch connector?
Old 08-20-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BassMasta808
Yes they did, I bought the car pretty much new. But idk maybe you're right, now you got me thinking if they did or not. Pretty certain they did cuz I'd hear them.
They aren't supposed to. If they did, that was wrong.....unless the coolant temp was high enough to run the fans or the AC was on.

I assume just take a paperclip and stick it in the switch connector?
Affirmative.

Don't shove it in so hard you spread the connections out though, just touch to make contact with both terminals.
Old 08-20-2013
Registered!!

Ah you're right, maybe it was either cuz of AC on or car temp was up. Ya now that I think about it, they wouldn't come on in the morning on a fresh start.

So please, good sir, give me a "what to do next" if they do or don't come on. If they don't, I assume I need a new connector from the parts store and splice it in there. But what if they do come on?
Old 08-20-2013

If they DO come on, then you just proved out everything electrical except the temp switch.

If they DON'T come on, you have a problem that needs further inspection.
Old 08-20-2013
Registered!!

You mean the coolant temp switch?

God I hope "further inspection" isn't necessary. Those new Si's with the HFP kits and K series are looking nicer each day lol
Old 08-20-2013

You mean the coolant temp switch?
Whatever switch was not in the circuit was not tested. Comprende?

God I hope "further inspection" isn't necessary. Those new Si's with the HFP kits and K series are looking nicer each day lol
Finding and fixing a broken wire (or whatever) sure seems simpler to me than dropping $22,5xx and losing 5k of it the second you drive it off the lot.
Old 08-20-2013
Registered!!

Eh I'm about to get an independent dealers license so I wouldn't be paying retail. I'm just getting mad at it and have spent so much time trying to figure it out yano? I drive way too far and too often to have this fear of breaking down all the time. For me, time is more valuable. A parked car is making me $0. But I really appreciate your help bro. I'll check out your suggestions tomorrow and let you kno if I get this problem identified.
Old 08-21-2013
Registered!!

Jumped fan switch and fans came on.

Source of problem: air in the system. Bled it all out, filled it all back up. Fans kick on, car stays cool. All is right with the world.

Thanks dood!
Old 08-21-2013

Source of problem: air in the system.
Aaaaand where did this "air" come from?
Old 08-21-2013
Registered!!

From me taking the thermostat out and then fan switch and not filling the radiator back up sufficiently. I actually took it apart a couple of times because the housing leaked on my 1st attempt. I didn't give it enough time running with the rad cap off to make sure it was full and bubble free. I actually probably didn't even need the fan switch but owell. It all works now. I guess I'll keep the ol **** a while longer