Newbie looking at a high mileage civic

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jared583 is an unknown quantity at this point
Newbie looking at a high mileage civic

Hey all! I'm a newbie here looking at a 2001 civic with 240,000 miles. The car looks and runs good I just wanted some input from you guys before I pull the trigger. There are zero maintenance records on the car other than the last oil change. I do plan on doing a timing belt and water pump right away if I get the car. I have owned Hondas in the past so I'm not a total newbie just to this gen. What can I expect with that many miles?

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Newbie looking at a high mileage civic

Is it an automatic?

If your getting it for a great deal then just put a little work into it and you will be in good shape. Timing belt, water pump, possibly head gasket.
Old 06-27-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Is it an automatic?

If your getting it for a great deal then just put a little work into it and you will be in good shape. Timing belt, water pump, possibly head gasket.
Thanks for the reply. It's a 5 speed
Old 06-27-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I would also check the clutch to see of its slipping any. It's probably the 2nd clutch maybe 3rd.
Old 06-27-2013
Registered!!

I'll be going to test drive it today or tomorrow and if everything checks out I'll probably bring it home. I just wanted some input on what I'd expect to replace with that many miles
Old 06-27-2013
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Inspect and touch everything under the hood and underneath the car. If you find something warn or broken you can use it as a bargaining chip. Look at all rubber parts for deterioration. Check all fluids for signs of wear or failure.

I also recommend doing a compression check for added insurance.

Test drive it when it is cold, but let it warm up fully. Feel the exhaust manifold, if it's warm than come back when it's cold or walk away. A lot of potential issues can be apparent on startup and warming up!

Good luck.