Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

Need Help With 2002 Honda Civic - Power Window Not Opening

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
god_43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need Help With 2002 Honda Civic - Power Window Not Opening

Hello, I have a power window on the rear right hand side that has not opened for the last 6 years....and I am tired of it. I have been reading online about the various issues that could be wrong with it? The other 3 windows open and close just fine, and no fuses are burnt out in either the hood fuse box; or the one on the driver’s side?

Does this mean that it is the motor assembly?

Thank you
Old 06-23-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need Help With 2002 Honda Civic - Power Window Not Opening

Key on, engine off. Door open, dome light on. Pull/push the window switch and watch the dome light. If the light dims a little bit when you push the switch in both directions, then the motor is stuck. Get in the back seat and hold the switch down, SLAM the door while holding the switch. If it works, then it was simply stuck from lack of use---motor stuck or maybe the glass stuck in the rubber weatherstrip. (This cannot work if the motor is not even trying to operate.)

If the light did not dim when you move the switch on both directions, then it's electrical problem. A wiring diagram and a volt/ohm meter would lead you to an actual factual correct answer.

If you want a SWAG, I'll guess it needs the wire harness from the pillar to the door. It's so cheap, I'll never try to repair another one.
Old 06-23-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Key on, engine off. Door open, dome light on. Pull/push the window switch and watch the dome light. If the light dims a little bit when you push the switch in both directions, then the motor is stuck. Get in the back seat and hold the switch down, SLAM the door while holding the switch. If it works, then it was simply stuck from lack of use---motor stuck or maybe the glass stuck in the rubber weatherstrip. (This cannot work if the motor is not even trying to operate.)

If the light did not dim when you move the switch on both directions, then it's electrical problem. A wiring diagram and a volt/ohm meter would lead you to an actual factual correct answer.

If you want a SWAG, I'll guess it needs the wire harness from the pillar to the door. It's so cheap, I'll never try to repair another one.
What is a SWAG? The light did not dim and slamming the door had no effect. I am removing the door panels next weekend to install new speakers, so I will understand more then. If the problem is electrical though, then does that mean I would have to take it to a shop?

I should also mention that I am not really a car guy, but since I just took the car to the shop (managed by my cousin) and they charged me $800; but didn't fix the window issue - long story short, I figured I had better learn how to do this stuff myself because I am pretty sure I got screwed.

Thank you.
Old 06-23-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by god_43
What is a SWAG?
Scientific Wild *** Guess

Peel back the rubber boot from the wire harness in the door jamb, see if any of the wires are broken where they flex.
The light did not dim
For comparison, do the same on one of the other windows. Pick one that is already closed, pull the switch to the closed position and note how the dome light dims slightly because the electric motor is "stalled" and can't turn. Does the dead window do the same?
and slamming the door had no effect.
Like I said before, this cannot work if the motor is not even trying to operate.
I am removing the door panels next weekend to install new speakers, so I will understand more then.
You have speakers in the back doors?
If the problem is electrical though, then does that mean I would have to take it to a shop?
Not if you can DIY it. I DIY everything I can.....but I also do it for a living.
I should also mention that I am not really a car guy, but since I just took the car to the shop (managed by my cousin) and they charged me $800; but didn't fix the window issue
EDIT: REMOVED due to my own comprehension problem. You weren't the person with the botched head gasket job. Sorry.

Last edited by ezone; 06-23-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2013

Edited above post.
Old 06-30-2013
Registered!!

Scientific Wild *** Guess

Peel back the rubber boot from the wire harness in the door jamb, see if any of the wires are broken where they flex.
...you mean the rubber tube thing between the door and the car?

For comparison, do the same on one of the other windows. Pick one that is already closed, pull the switch to the closed position and note how the dome light dims slightly because the electric motor is "stalled" and can't turn. Does the dead window do the same?
Well no, none of them do. I guess the wiring is different in my car? The head lights dim though? Either way I don’t think it’s the motor...because the window started working over the last 3 days and then it stopped yesterday....could it be getting stuck or something? Or maybe a wire issue?

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2013

Originally Posted by god_43
...you mean the rubber tube thing between the door and the car?
Yes, that's the only place wiring runs between the door and the body.
Well no, none of them do.
Engine must not be running. Dimming is subtle.
I guess the wiring is different in my car?
No, yours is the same as every other identical car unless some human got in there and rewired everything himself.
The head lights dim though?
Funny that you could notice a difference there, but not the dome light.
Either way I don’t think it’s the motor...because the window started working over the last 3 days and then it stopped yesterday....could it be getting stuck or something?
Once you figure out what exactly was wrong, this question will have been answered. Right?
Or maybe a wire issue?
Already covered: Go back to the first line. That's the most common problem area, especially if the rear doors are used often. Turn the car on. Go to the back seat and get in. Hold the window switch down (or up if the glass is already open) and swing the door wide open and closed a few times while holding the switch. If the window starts working at any point during this check, the wiring in the jamb is bad. Replace the door harness if this is the issue.