Air Conditioning Post issues with air conditioning here

ezone - AC question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough
Re: ezone - AC question

Sedan vs. Coupe mounts are a little different. Not sure what it is exactly, but they list different length bolts. Neither here nor there though. It is easier to just yank it out IMO and get it outta the way, but whatever works for you man

The one I put in now doesn't come out all the way anyway, that is unless you unbolt the entire bracket! It is too long, with a nut on the back though it is HIGHLY unlikely that it will strip....
Old 06-28-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my that must be a pain.. That is POOR design. Mine doesn't get in the way at all and it's much easier for me than disconnecting the stupid gel mount lol.
Old 06-28-2013
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Oh my that must be a pain.. That is POOR design. Mine doesn't get in the way at all and it's much easier for me than disconnecting the stupid gel mount lol.
I'm not taking it out. Am able to remove the three nuts and the top of the mount and jack the engine up and take the ps resevoir bracket off to get the bolt out far enough to get the alternator on and off. To take the bolt all the way the bracket has to come off or the through bolts have to come out of the other mounts for more angle or something...

Job done. So nice to have a/c again. And the rear part of my headliner against the back glass thanks me, it no likey the windows down Didn't get the part until late this evening. (What good is a USPS tracking number if it isn't accurate....) Shimmed it to around .0015", spec is .20. The new clutch came with all sizes of shims. Finished it up around 9 and went to town to test drive it. The a/c was so cold I had to turn it off, it isn't very hot here at night...
Old 06-29-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
To take the bolt all the way
I just keep raising the engine until I can pull the bolt out.
Shimmed it to around .0015", spec is .20. .
Sounds too tight? (C&P) Clearance: 0.5±0.15 mm (0.020±0.006 in.) If yours is really as tight as you say, it might drag. Decimal in the wrong place, I hope?
Old 06-29-2013
Registered!!

It won't come out at all now that its longer. .020 not .20 oops there were some grooves in the plates, so I wanted to help it along, it doesn't drag. Spec is 20, but if it does drag ever it is easy to get to that with the wheel off, I have a full set of shims now My book says the .020 spec +- puts .015 in spec

Last edited by johndeerebones; 07-01-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

ezone. I was changing my upper mounts on my struts yesterday and I decided to do some AC testing down there... Anyway... I started the car and the AC wouldn't turn on. I proceeded to smack the clutch on the AC pulley and when I hit it, it immediately turned on... Which leads me to believe it's the clutch. DO YOU THINK I can take the spacer out of the clutch assembly to bring the worn clutch closer to the pulley and put it back together to make it work (suggest by mechanic whom I told this to... says hes done it many, many times)

Again, not concerned at all about compressor life here.. But what can possibly go wrong (Last thing I want is my ACC belt slipping off the pulley and losing power.)
Old 07-03-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You say you smacked it. Makes me think of 2 possibilities.
A) excess clearance, or
B)Open winding in the coil.

How hard did you smack it? And where?

What you described with removing the shim is called taking up excess clearance.
This only works if excess clearance is the problem.
If the coil (electromagnet) has an open in the winding and you jarred it into making a connection again, then clearance wasn't the issue.

Measure the clutch gap to figure out if clearance is the problem. Simple feeler gauges and some specs is all you need for this.

I might run 12v directly to the clutch (I'd do this at the relay socket though) and experiment.
Now...With 12v applied to it-- Did it click without any help? Can you simply push on the clutch hub with your fingers and get it to click into engagement?
Old 07-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

I grabbed a rubber mallet and gently tapped it as best as I could (clearance prevented a hard smash). It's dark out right now so I'm not going to try hooking up wires to anything lol. I'm replacing the struts tomorrow so I might remove the shim just to see what happens (dodging electrical work again lol)

I'm sure I can make it engage with just my fingers... I just don't wanna get my paws in there.
Old 07-03-2013

If clearance is within published specs, then your problem should be a bad coil. GUESS .30mm - .65mm?
Old 07-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Oh where? On the end of the pulley where the clutch is ( I think that's what that part is called )
Old 07-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Basically ezone.. I only have to get through one more summer with this car (probably) then it becomes a project car and the AC compressor + all the AC parts are coming out anyway... so I only want to get it going for this summer and I don't want to spend any money doing it.. Hahaha
Old 07-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

The part that I'm hitting is #5.. The end of it where #4 holds together http://www.hondapartscheap.com/parts...a-c-compressor
Old 07-03-2013

Ok so....measure clearance? That's free. Take out the thinnest shim first and see what happens? IDK, I hate rigging stuff. Today I got talked into messing with a Mazda 6 (2.3 L four cylinder) with 200k on the clock. It has jumped the timing chain by about 1 tooth on the intake cam. Owner is willing to pay 5 hours labor to ONLY put the cams back in time and see if it runs. Owner is not willing to buy the timing chain and guides that it needs, his plan is to trade it off as soon as it runs..... I don't see this turning out well for any of us.....This may be Fridays project.
Old 07-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

That's just stupid... If i remove the shim and everything is too tight.. what would be the outcome? I'll get some measuring tools tomorrow. I have nothing that will measure that small of a measurement except my valve clearence tool.. hmmmmm.. that just might work.

I just got myself a massive gear puller yesterday.. however.. I just don't see fitting it int here in case I need to actually remove the clutch or coil.
Old 07-03-2013

The part that I'm hitting is #5.. The end of it where #4 holds together http://www.hondapartscheap.com/parts...a-c-compressor
That's the clutch hub.

This crap with changing page styles before I can make a post is getting on my nerves. So is having to remember all the HTML commands to separate lines and make paragraphs.
Old 07-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

I'm pretty confident it's clearance... If I remember correctly I didn't even really HIT the hub I basically pressed on it with the wood end of the mallet because I couldn't fit the head in. I didn't actually "hit" it.
Old 07-03-2013

I have nothing that will measure that small of a measurement except my valve clearence tool.
THAT'S IT...Ordinary feeler gauge set.
I just got myself a massive gear puller yesterday.. however.. I just don't see fitting it int here in case I need to actually remove the clutch or coil.
I have done 2 clutch and coil sets already this week. ONE pulley actually slid right off by hand after I got the snap rings off. I was AMAZED!

Hey, I noticed that I can make changes to the original post and the forum remembers and accepts that, but it still will not accept any of my own typing outside of quote brackets.
Old 07-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

I'm pretty excited about possibly fixing this for free.
Old 07-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

I don't see resolving your issue any time soon ezone.. Sorry man I've gone through all the channels but until Robb gets back I just don't see a resolution. . If I remove a shim and the air gap is too tight what are the consequences?
Old 07-03-2013

I'm pretty confident it's clearance... If I remember correctly I didn't even really HIT the hub I basically pressed on it with the wood end of the mallet because I couldn't fit the head in. I didn't actually "hit" it.
That's sounding like clearance now if all you had to do is push on it....OR a weak electromagnet.. This would show as resistance too high on an ohm meter.

Damn, slow down. It takes me forever to make a reply now.
Old 07-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Sorry ezone.. I type at about 110 words per minute.. therefore in HTML format your kinda screwed lol. I just sent another message off to IB.. I've tried everything believe me.
Old 07-03-2013

If I remove a shim and the air gap is too tight what are the consequences?
Too little clearance can let it make noise, drag, wear, get hot---- or just plain not disengage, and cause even more complications like freezing up the evaporator core or overpressurizing the high side and venting freon out of the high pressure safety relief valve.
Old 07-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

^ None of which I'm too concerned about. I'm not replacing the clutch or the coil because here in Canada those parts are too expensive and it's just not worth it for one year. Especially when I can get a working used compressor for 75 bucks locally... I just don't want to have to drain the AC system and re pressurize it. I'll still check clearance since I have the tool in my trunk right now anyway. I HATE WORKING ON AC SYSTEMS.
Old 07-03-2013

^ None of which I'm too concerned about.
You won't have cold air if either of those happen.
I HATE WORKING ON AC SYSTEMS.
AC is a huge moneymaker for me.
Old 07-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

I'm going to buy a DX belt .. just in case I can't get this thing back together.. bypass the AC and smash it with a sledge hammer. (How Croatian people fix stuff)

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 07-04-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Clearance was slightly out of spec. I removed the small spacer and it immediately fixed the AC. Thanks a ton ezone I owe you.
Old 07-04-2013

Yay! Fix this site so I can post like a normal person again please.