Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing Belt Kit Quality?

Old 01-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rockyrock is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Timing Belt Kit Quality?

Originally Posted by Andym
Hello there,
dsm482
My one and only car a 2005 Honda civic lx 4door, I own the car since I bought it new at the dealer and currently 113k miles on it. What's the exact year and model of your car?
Well, some of the problems I have experienced before on my car were the wheel bearing front passenger side at 30,000miles, engine mounts replacement at 70k, trouble with some piece of plastic that decayed that goes on the brake pedal causing the brake light stays on and running out of battery and other than that regular maintenances.
So right now I started getting noise on one of the front wheel bearings which I believe is on the front driver side this time, already ordered it a name brand NTN which I think is OEM. Now I finally decided to order the Timing belt replacement which already bought the Mitsuboshi Timing belt and the Aisin water pump, so I'm still missing the rest of the kit valve gaskets and tensioner. But now that I read your post I was wondering that maybe I should cancel the Water pump order and stick with the one already on for another 100k maybe? cause, to tell the truth, I wasn't even planning to change the Timing belt, cause I was going to let it on until the car stopped running but anyway now that I am on this I also want to fix the oil leak which I believe is the head gasket or something. I'm on a budget and want to spend the less possible but make sure the quality is the best. Can I get any suggestion on this?
by the way, my suspension is having problems which i believe have to do with ball joints, tie rods and those parts on the chassis, is there any specific part I should get to make the suspension part go on a little longer?
I had front bearing issues at about 130k miles on my 2005 LX. While replacing the bearings, I also replaced the lower ball-joints and wheel hubs. My mechanic didn't charge me any additional labor beyond the bearings and I purchased my own parts so it was well worth it.

My experiences, YMMV.
Old 01-17-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Timing Belt Kit Quality?

Originally Posted by Andym
Hello there,
dsm482
My one and only car a 2005 Honda civic lx 4door, I own the car since I bought it new at the dealer and currently 113k miles on it. What's the exact year and model of your car?
Well, some of the problems I have experienced before on my car were the wheel bearing front passenger side at 30,000miles, engine mounts replacement at 70k, trouble with some piece of plastic that decayed that goes on the brake pedal causing the brake light stays on and running out of battery and other than that regular maintenances.
So right now I started getting noise on one of the front wheel bearings which I believe is on the front driver side this time, already ordered it a name brand NTN which I think is OEM. Now I finally decided to order the Timing belt replacement which already bought the Mitsuboshi Timing belt and the Aisin water pump, so I'm still missing the rest of the kit valve gaskets and tensioner. But now that I read your post I was wondering that maybe I should cancel the Water pump order and stick with the one already on for another 100k maybe? cause, to tell the truth, I wasn't even planning to change the Timing belt, cause I was going to let it on until the car stopped running but anyway now that I am on this I also want to fix the oil leak which I believe is the head gasket or something. I'm on a budget and want to spend the less possible but make sure the quality is the best. Can I get any suggestion on this?
by the way, my suspension is having problems which i believe have to do with ball joints, tie rods and those parts on the chassis, is there any specific part I should get to make the suspension part go on a little longer?
mine is 2005 honda dx 4dr sedan, it has manual windows too.. wtf.. i will upgrade maybe if i fix other issues eventually..

i do recomend oem tensioner, with what ezone says every timing belt... i just stated what i did.. now i do my own work and I know what am doing, but i also take bigger risks.... since bent valves its not biggie for me...

if you going to keep the car get good quality timing belt, with oem tensioner, ...i stated how long my tensioner lasted... original one 320k.. you are not going to get that with aftermarket chinese copy...
I am replacing it soon this spring when it get warmer.. I figured its pretty close before it goes )..

depends on how much risks u willing to take and how much back breaking work u do on ur own, .. but if you paying for service, its not worthed ..
replace it and be safe than sorry.