Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How to properly diagnose bad wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
How to properly diagnose bad wheel bearing?

i replaced my right front wheel bearing about 3 years ago, it was making a very loud "humming" noise that was easy to detect coming from the right front side,

when i jacked the vehicle up, i tried to move the wheel by hand in all different directions, it did not move at all, it was solid,

i took it apart anyway, and sure enough the bearing was shot, replaced it and everything has been fine,

for the last week i have the exact same "humming" noise coming back, only this time its so faint i can barely hear it over the road noise, it seems slightly louder on the right side (again) but its impossible for me to tell 100%,

i dont really want to just guess which side it is, so is there any way to tell for sure without ripping the knuckle off?

or should i just leave it till it gets louder? i dont really like driving around with a bad bearing,
Old 04-20-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to properly diagnose bad wheel bearing?

You want me to tell you "by the book", or do you want to hear "how I really do it"?

You sure it isn't tire tread chopping?
Old 04-20-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

The following users liked this post:
RaymondCasgrain (11-11-2021)
Old 04-21-2013
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
You want me to tell you "by the book", or do you want to hear "how I really do it"?

neither.....i got it

i just jacked up the front end, removed both wheels, had somebody start it and put it in drive while i listened at each wheel/hub,

same bearing as last time.....go figure (yes honda oem)

Last edited by mikey1; 04-21-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-21-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

neither.....i got it

i just jacked up the front end, removed both wheels, had somebody start it and put it in drive while i listened at each wheel/hub,
Great.
i replaced my right front wheel bearing about 3 years ago,
Pothole damage or curb damage to the bearing? Water damage? How many miles in those 3 years? (Doesn't really matter, just looking for a possible cause that is out of the ordinary.)

Seems premature. Maybe you should think about baseball...
Old 04-21-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
How many miles in those 3 years?
about 75,000kms

seems weird this one has failed twice and the left side is still going strong
Old 04-21-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

install issues, maybe? or bad batch... or some ball joints coming loose? who knows...
Old 04-21-2013

Some people swear the right side takes more abuse since there are usually more potholes and crap on the edge of a road.

IDK.
Old 04-21-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
install issues, maybe? or bad batch... or some ball joints coming loose? who knows...
i cant see it being an install issue,

i just removed the knuckle and brought it to honda and they put the bearing in....looks like i will be doing it again
Old 04-21-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

was it ezone pressing the bearing in? or a yung'un? :P
Old 04-21-2013

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
was it ezone pressing the bearing in? or a yung'un? :P
Be careful....I might install his bearing with a "swing press":

The shop door is closed. Nobody will ever know.