Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Grinding from right front wheel, wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rechinca is an unknown quantity at this point
Grinding from right front wheel, wheel bearing?

Trying to verify an issue that has cropped up:

Really bad grinding metal on metal noise coming from the right front wheel area. It is especially noticable from a dead stop and almost sounds like the pads have a rock stuck in them. The noise appears to be louder/more noticable on a left hand turn vs right, but is a definite metal on metal grind and not a whir type sound. It is hard to tell at highway speeds due to the crappy exhaust the previous owner cobbled together.

I already pulled the wheel and caliper to do a quick check. I did not notice any deep grooves as if a rock or foreign object was present. The outer pad has a lot less material left in comparison to the inner pad (maybe half?) and the pads were new when I bought the car 2 years and 40k miles ago. I lubed the slide pins and put it all back, but the noise is still present.

While up on stands, there is no noticable wobble but it definitely does not feel like the assembly turns smoothly. I am guessing on a worn right front wheel bearing, but looking for input on it before I pull it all apart. While $$ on preventative side does not really bother me, I would prefer to throw it at a solution rather than a guess.

BTW according to the previous owner and my mechanic when he replaced the trans a while back, the CV axles look new-ish and the boots are in great shape.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Guess I know where my 5 hours of free time is going this weekend...
Old 03-04-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Grinding from right front wheel, wheel bearing?

yes it sounds like a wheel bearing....if its as loud as you describe it can be very dangerous to continue driving it, definitely stay off the highway and get it looked at ASAP
Old 03-04-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the info mikey1. Just what I thought, but man it has been a long time since I had a bad wheel bearing. Definitely on the list of has to be done this weekend. Looks like NAPA is getting some business at their shop Thursday morning. Dang thing couldnt wait about two more weeks til I replaced the front struts and did it all at one time.

Any other thoughts please chime in though.
Old 03-04-2013
Registered!!

Almost forgot to mention, the noise is present with clutch in/out and braking or coasting.
Old 03-04-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

try jacking up and safely supporting the front end on jackstands....

rotate the right front wheel by hand.....can you hear the noise?

if you can, remove the right front brake caliper and safely support it/hang it with a wire....now put the wheel back on and once again rotate the wheel by hand....can you still hear the noise?....this will eliminate the possibility of the brakes causing the noise

you can also try the same tests, but instead of rotating the wheel by hand, start the vehicle and put it into drive, get out and listen for the noise beside the wheel while its turning.....just make sure the front end is safely supported on jackstands while you do this, this is what i did to verify my bad wheel bearing....
Old 03-04-2013
Registered!!

bdwn0069 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just changed the front bearing on my 2002 ex,i didnt have a grinding noise in mine, more of a very loud rumble.I am sure they all make different noises,just letting you know the noise i heard.