Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Help,camshaft positioning sensor, misfires, catalyst error codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BurningOutcast is an unknown quantity at this point
Help,camshaft positioning sensor, misfires, catalyst error codes

Ive got a 2002 honda civic si, 147k miles on it. Ive owned it for a year and have had no problems until last week. Every now and again it just wont start. Ill turn the key, doesnt even turn over, just a click and thats it. Battery is good, lights dont dim. Negative terminal was loose, tightened it up, and the problem went away.

A day later the check engine light came on so i ran the codes and its showing 3 different misfires, a camshaft positioning sensor code, and a catalyst code. Did some reading up on similar codes and combos, but all talk about car dying, crazy idles, tach jumps, knocking, ect...but my vehicle is not giving me any serious problems at all. Theres no knocking, sputtering, grinding. Its not stalling or dying. It runs great, still getting good gas mileage. No leaks. I cleared the codes not really knowing the possible severity of the issue. Im wanting to say i need to replace the cam positioning sensor which probably went bad and is throwing all the other codes, but i hear if i dont replace it it could cause sever damage and cost me more money then the car is worth like killing the cat converter, my coils and plugs, even blow my motor...any ideas? i could really use some help. Its my daily driver and the only vehicle my wife and 1 year old daughter have and i cant afford to lose it. Mechs wanna charge me $100 for the diag and say the fix could cost thousands. please help
Old 03-04-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help,camshaft positioning sensor, misfires, catalyst error codes

First: What engine is this?

Post the actual code numbers.

Misfires can kill a cat in a matter of minutes if severe enough.

Can you feel it when it misfires? Would you even know if it was misfiring?

You cleared the codes, did they return? Which ones?
Old 03-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BurningOutcast is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help,camshaft positioning sensor, misfires, catalyst error codes

Codes have not come back, cannot feel misfires or anything odd, everything feels fine. I assuming its just the sensor. Passed smog no issues