ECU Fried 7th Gen cars have a Chronic issue - alternator bolts get loose and the loss of grounding will eventually fry the ECU

2001 civic si/green key light is flashing/on power/rpm n temp gauge dont work

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SILENTPEPSI is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 civic si/green key light is flashing/on power/rpm n temp gauge dont work

I have a 2001 si and i was driving yestarday and a green key light came up on the dash and the car shut off n my rpm gauge stoped work and my temp also. the car still starts and movees but has no powwer when i hold it to the floor its like i have launch controll..... somebody said it could be my chip in my key n have to get it reprogrammed ??? can someone help me please
Thanks
Old 08-23-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 civic si/green key light is flashing/on power/rpm n temp gauge dont work

battery connections tight?
Old 08-23-2012
Registered!!

Re: 2001 civic si/green key light is flashing/on power/rpm n temp gauge dont work

Ya ill check again we tried unplugging it for a couple of hours to reset it and it didnt do anything a lot of ppl r telling me i might need to reprogram my key... is that possible? or could it be more serious then that??
Old 08-23-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well usually the main issue is whether or not the car starts. if the green key light flashes, then the car should not start at all. but anyway the easiest thing is to have a new key made and programmed. they do get damaged over time and sometimes stop working. do you have a spare key you can use?
Old 08-24-2012
Registered!!

i had one but someone tried starting the car with it and would not start but now since the car started messing up it starts the car.... i went to the honda dealer today and they said it couldnt be my key because it still starts they say it could be an oxygen sensor but i had one blown before and it never did this to my car so i doubt it is that.

It also has no power its like i have a launch kit
so you think its just the key ??

Last edited by SILENTPEPSI; 08-24-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2012
Registered!!

wrencher will become famous soon enough

I'm gonna venture into unknown land here..
first i don't understand what an O2 sensor would have to do with no rpm/temp/ imobilizer light..etc.
Don't understand dealership diagnosis- or is there a misunderstandings??

First make sure all your fuses (cluster/ pcm, FI...all) are good!
I don't know if Honda clusters are on a data line. But if they are and the data line gets shorted to ground or voltage, then you cluster may partially stop working orlight up warning lights....when such a short happens the ECM/PCM (or whatever honda calls theirs) may enter limp mode- therefore no performance.
Most often this data line also goes to the imobilizer module and the ALDL connector (obd2 diagnostic connector) and therefore a scanner will not be able to communicate for diagnostics.

update; i checked the wiring and yes it is on a dataline. .... don't know too much about this brand but few things you can check and report. When the motor is running, what lights are on and what guages work/don't work?.
engine off. turn key to lamp check (run/engine off). which lights light up in cluster. Is cluster responding? do guages respond at all (movement).
Are all fuses good? did someone unqualified tinker under the dash (to let's say.... wire an aftermarket radio/ remote starter etc?)

small note: imobilizer codes/faults set while vehicle is on will usually not prevent vehicle from starting in future attemps as "programing" is intentionally made as such. afterall; A running car is seldom force started ("hotwired"") so no i'm not dicounting that there may be a problem with the imobilizer also

Last edited by wrencher; 08-24-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2012
Registered!!

BrokeniPod is an unknown quantity at this point

i had the same exact problem with my 2001 civic and it turned out to be the computer so i had to buy a new one and get it reprogramed at honda
Old 08-15-2014
Default_Slayer

Default_Slayer will become famous soon enoughDefault_Slayer will become famous soon enough

I'm having the same exact problem with my 2001 civic lx, it throws no codes I'm thinking it could be the ecu.. what do you guys think?
Old 08-15-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Default_Slayer
I'm having the same exact problem with my 2001 civic lx, it throws no codes I'm thinking it could be the ecu.. what do you guys think?
My guess: Someone forgot to properly tighten the alternator mounting bolts during the previous service (timing belt job, belt set, or alternator replacement), now the PCM is probably damaged as a result.

If the PCM can still communicate with a scanner it might be saved by correcting the other problem. However, don't hold your breath, and the other problem still needs corrected or else you will ruin the next PCM too.

HTH
Old 02-18-2020
Registered!!

Brian Cervantes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
well usually the main issue is whether or not the car starts. if the green key light flashes, then the car should not start at all. but anyway the easiest thing is to have a new key made and programmed. they do get damaged over time and sometimes stop working. do you have a spare key you can use?
its ine thing that nobody ever mentions it's the main ground wire on the thermostat housing. I've been dealing with this for too long and it's not getting any better lol but make sure its tight and cleaned very well
Old 06-27-2020

Ecal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brian Cervantes
its ine thing that nobody ever mentions it's the main ground wire on the thermostat housing. I've been dealing with this for too long and it's not getting any better lol but make sure its tight and cleaned very well
i am having an ecm issue. issuenk. 01 honda civ ex 2 door manual trans it drives but relay by ecm clicks. Same time as click i lise power. Bought jew ecm without ignition didnt know had to match. Then lost mykeys so doesnt even matter.
cheap to just go to local junkyard and pull matching ignitjon and ecm than buy them new. Will i still need to program them or can i just install?
Old 06-27-2020

Ecal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wrencher
I'm gonna venture into unknown land here..
first i don't understand what an O2 sensor would have to do with no rpm/temp/ imobilizer light..etc.
Don't understand dealership diagnosis- or is there a misunderstandings??

First make sure all your fuses (cluster/ pcm, FI...all) are good!
I don't know if Honda clusters are on a data line. But if they are and the data line gets shorted to ground or voltage, then you cluster may partially stop working orlight up warning lights....when such a short happens the ECM/PCM (or whatever honda calls theirs) may enter limp mode- therefore no performance.
Most often this data line also goes to the imobilizer module and the ALDL connector (obd2 diagnostic connector) and therefore a scanner will not be able to communicate for diagnostics.

update; i checked the wiring and yes it is on a dataline. .... don't know too much about this brand but few things you can check and report. When the motor is running, what lights are on and what guages work/don't work?.
engine off. turn key to lamp check (run/engine off). which lights light up in cluster. Is cluster responding? do guages respond at all (movement).
Are all fuses good? did someone unqualified tinker under the dash (to let's say.... wire an aftermarket radio/ remote starter etc?)

small note: imobilizer codes/faults set while vehicle is on will usually not prevent vehicle from starting in future attemps as "programing" is intentionally made as such. afterall; A running car is seldom force started ("hotwired"") so no i'm not dicounting that there may be a problem with the imobilizer also
see my reply to brian cervantes plz
Old 06-27-2020
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecal
i am having an ecm issue. issuenk. 01 honda civ ex 2 door manual trans it drives but relay by ecm clicks. Same time as click i lise power. Bought jew ecm without ignition didnt know had to match. Then lost mykeys so doesnt even matter.
cheap to just go to local junkyard and pull matching ignitjon and ecm than buy them new. Will i still need to program them or can i just install?
Originally Posted by Ecal
see my reply to brian cervantes plz
Matched set is PCM + Immobilizer control unit + matching keys, all from the same car. Should be simple plug and play.
To get the immobilizer unit you should get the steering lock assembly, complete with the keys and usually comes with the big electrical switch

2 special bolts (breakaway heads) hold the lock to the steering column. Buy new breakaway bolts (probably in stock at most dealers but call first) or you'll have to get creative. .

Here's a huge warning: Your PCM was likely ruined because someone didn't get the alternator mounting bolts tight.
(Or anything that could cause the alternator to lose its electrical ground, but loose bolts is the leading cause).
If you don't fix this problem, it will just ruin the next PCM.