Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Muffler fell, Help!

Old 05-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nlsk8ta is an unknown quantity at this point
Muffler fell, Help!

Hello all! I'm somewhat new here but have been lurking around these forums before. I have a 2003 Civic lx coupe and I was having rattling problems coming from my muffler. I could see it seemed like it was starting to crack a few days ago because it was pretty rusted but I thought I could wait until next oil change to get it looked at/replaced.

Today while I was driving the thing finally broke and sounds horrible as you can imagine. When I got home I looked under and the muffler is just hanging there. It broke right where the pipe comes into the muffler. Unfortunately this being a Sunday and tomorrow being a holiday I probably won't be getting it fixed for a few days. I was wondering if you guys had any idea what the easiest way to temporarily hold it in place for a couple days would be. I'm a little new DIY car repair so any ideas would be great, Thanks!

Pic of where it broke to help visualize: http://imgur.com/DzIzA
Old 05-20-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Muffler fell, Help!

Bungee cord?
Old 05-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nlsk8ta is an unknown quantity at this point

Good idea, il go pick up on of those. I went a tinkered on it a little bit, the clamp holding the pipe there was completly rusted off and i took it out, I was able to put the pipe into the hole for the muffler and it seem Okay for the time being even though its not air tight or anything.
Old 05-20-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

OOh, if you got the pipe hooked into it again, it may get too hot for a bungee.

Try a coat hanger to wire it up with..
Old 05-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

Find a car wash with a good strong under wash and go there at least once a month or else you'll start loosing more parts off the bottom of you car.

I'm not sure any temporary fix is going to bring those rusted pieces back together so that it seals and doesn't sound like crap. Just remove the entire muffler. It pulls right of the hanger. Twist it around a bit to break it away from the mid-pipe if you have to.

You might have to live with the sound until you can get a new muffler.