Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Suspension front clunking noise, strut mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road
Re: Suspension front clunking noise, strut mounts?

Thaik, did you replace your struts yourself? Which spring compressor did you use?

I have a far fetched theory about what this clunking noise is. I started noticing the noise right after I did the struts. I think it's the upper spring seat which is the round metal seat the spring nestles against. I think it's slightly bent and the spring pops against it every once in a while when driving on uneven surfaces.

How did it get bent? When I had the spring compressor on my struts I remember that when the claws were pulled tight against the springs, the threaded rod of the compressor was pushed very tight right up against the spring seat. It pushed into it even harder for each turn i put on the spring compressor nut. I'm wondering if that was enough to bend the spring seat slightly so the spring looses its indexing over bumpy roads?
Old 12-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

I have check the following parts below.

Verify lower control arm and both look fine.
Verify all four engine mounts and the drivers side have more movement.
Strut mount looks fine no nosie when pulling on the when the car is in the air or on the ground.
I can turn the steerng wheel left or right with the engine off with no noise.

I can hear a similar noise when the car was on the hoist and i rotate the tire back and forth with my hand. There seems to be some play with the drive shaft and Automatic transmission.

Turn the engine on and turn the wheel left to right i can hear the noise.
Revved the engine in neutral, park or reverse and i can hear the noise at 1000 rpm to 1800 rpm.

I will keep driving the car and see if the noise get any worse.

http://s1308.beta.photobucket.com/us...28640.mp4.html

Last edited by nsrhonda89; 12-16-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

I fixed one passenger noise issue but the other one still remains.
This black plastic thing (fender liner) was missing a clip on the top between the front door and fender. This is the part number 91545-se0-003 for the clip.

The only issue remains is when going straight, turning left or right at low speed or revving the engine between 1000 rpm to 1800 rpm it makes a crackling noise.

When I turn vent *** from "Hot to Cold" i don't hear the nose, so its coming from the back of the engine.

I read on another Honda forum it could be a waterpump bearing.
I went out and buy a stethoscope to see if the noise is coming form the timing belt cover.

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=194588

Last edited by nsrhonda89; 12-16-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2014
Registered!!

jdlmodelt is an unknown quantity at this point

Scooty,
Did you ever resolve this? I jacked my 2008 up last night and quickly discovered that the noises were coming from the top end of the strut spring as well. I can hear it and seemingly feel it inside the car. I'm wondering what kind of lube a guy could put on top where the spring seats?
James

Originally Posted by scooty
I've isolated the sound in my car to strut mounts or bearings. I jacked the front end up, removed a wheel, removed tied rod end and rotated the entire strut as if the wheel were turning until it reached the turn limit. Then I pushed the strut real hard further against its turn stop and the mount would make the same sound pop/clunk every single time.

I can also replicate the sound if I center the steering wheel and turn it very rapidly back and forth one way then the other, just enough so that the wheels barely move. Its makes the same clunking popping sound but its hard to pinpoint where the sound is coming form while I'm turning the steering.

The strut mounts and bearings are new. This pisses me off.
Old 07-29-2014
Registered!!

drj1014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone figured out this issue?

My 2002 Civic LX is having the same problem.

So far I have replaced

Struts
Strut mounts
Lower control arms
rotors, pads

checked the ball joints when I installed the control arms, they seem ok

I have new stabilizer links that I am going to install today to see if that fixes the problem.

Like described before its like a clunking noise. Almost like a loose clunking noise when going over rough roads or bumps. Does not happen during turns unless its over a bump, fine while driving straight over semi smooth roads.

I have pretty much rebuilt this whole car. Was my GFs car and I took it from her as a daily.

Replaced Transmission, transmission mounts, added transmission external filter, rear engine mount, all seals, belts, water pump, alternator (just did this hoping to get rid of the flicker in the dash lights and exterior lights)

160k miles.
Old 07-29-2014
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Have you inspected/replaced the front motor mount? That caused a clunk for me going over bumps or dips in the road. Mine was completely torn.
Old 07-29-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by drj1014
I have new stabilizer links that I am going to install today to see if that fixes the problem.
Just remove the links and sway bar to see if the sound goes away (unless you already bought new links).

When you replaced the strut mounts did you index the springs properly?
Old 07-30-2014
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scooty
Thaik, did you replace your struts yourself? Which spring compressor did you use?

I have a far fetched theory about what this clunking noise is. I started noticing the noise right after I did the struts. I think it's the upper spring seat which is the round metal seat the spring nestles against. I think it's slightly bent and the spring pops against it every once in a while when driving on uneven surfaces.

How did it get bent? When I had the spring compressor on my struts I remember that when the claws were pulled tight against the springs, the threaded rod of the compressor was pushed very tight right up against the spring seat. It pushed into it even harder for each turn i put on the spring compressor nut. I'm wondering if that was enough to bend the spring seat slightly so the spring looses its indexing over bumpy roads?
Sorry for the super late reply. I intended to reply right away, but probably had something to do and forgot.

This is what I used:

I do not believe in my case that it is something related to a coil spring because the noise started occurring way before I replaced the struts.

Last edited by Thaik; 07-30-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Image change
Old 07-30-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Just remove the links and sway bar to see if the sound goes away (unless you already bought new links).

When you replaced the strut mounts did you index the springs properly?
In my case, I do not believe it is the end links since this is the first part that I suspected and replaced upon hearing for the first time the popping noise.
Old 07-30-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by drj1014
Has anyone figured out this issue?

My 2002 Civic LX is having the same problem.

So far I have replaced

Struts
Strut mounts
Lower control arms
rotors, pads

checked the ball joints when I installed the control arms, they seem ok

Like described before its like a clunking noise. Almost like a loose clunking noise when going over rough roads or bumps. Does not happen during turns unless its over a bump, fine while driving straight over semi smooth roads.

I have pretty much rebuilt this whole car. Was my GFs car and I took it from her as a daily.

Replaced Transmission, transmission mounts, added transmission external filter, rear engine mount, all seals, belts, water pump, alternator (just did this hoping to get rid of the flicker in the dash lights and exterior lights)

160k miles.
I haven't replaced the strut mounts because they looked in good shape when I replaced my struts and I still doubt it could be the culprit since you just replaced them and the noise is still there.

I too am puzzled.
I have until now, replaced the following parts on the front end:
-Struts
-Struts bearing
-Ball joints
-Outer tie rod ends
-Front Lower Control Arms bushings
-Link Ends
-Sway Bar (upgrade to 25.1mm)
-Sway Bar bushings (upgrade to Energy Suspension polyurethane)
Oh and Rotors and Brake pads, even though it isn't relevant.

Tires are almost new, 1 summer and a half.
Wheel bearing don't have any play when trying to wiggle the wheel.

My current conclusion is the steering rack. I can clearly hear it when the engine is off (without power steering assist) when I wiggle the wheel quickly front left to right and vice versa.

It does it very often now.
Before, it used to do it when turning and going over bumps or uneven road surface (causing the two front wheels to be at different strut travel).

Now, it does it almost every time I make a U turn, going from lock to lock when parking for instance, or doing S turns in a parking lot.
I hear a distinct popping noise. It's really a popping.

The only time it's different is when I wiggle the wheel without PS assist when standing still.

I highly suspect the steering rack but haven't been or should I say, haven't had the chance to duplicate the popping noise deliberately when the car is not moving.

I'll try to remove the tie rods ends and fully turning each wheels front side to side and see if I can duplicate the noise.

Here's where I am, hope this helps for those having a similar problem.
Old 07-30-2014
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Did you index the springs properly? If the spring is not sitting properly in the strut mount it will pop when turning.
Old 07-31-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Did you index the springs properly? If the spring is not sitting properly in the strut mount it will pop when turning.
I believe so.
By indexing you mean like this? (Picture attached below)
These are the rear struts though, but I did the same with the front.
Or
Are you actually talking about aligning the strut mount properly with the chassis, because I did mark the strut mount and spring together before removal, and I also oriented that mark towards the the engine bay of the car, if that's what you're talking about.
Btw, the noise was there even before I replaced the struts/shocks so..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030045b.jpg
Views:	1941
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	86933  
Old 08-01-2014
Registered!!

drj1014 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a private shop to install all my parts. Friend of mine and does the work for cash, cheap so I am pretty positive the struts/springs were installed correctly.

It is currently sitting on his lift. We have painted the subframe and have been driving it around to see if the paint is cracking.

I have not replaced:
ball joints
tie rod
sway bars
steering rack

We are putting on the end links later to see if that helps any.

Before I installed:
Lower control arms
Struts
Strut Mounts
Rotors and pads
Drums and shoes
Tires and Alignment

I only had the clunking noise when driving over bumps. Now that we have installed all these new parts my car has this floating feeling when on the freeway. It will start to float to the right so I fight it very slightly by steering to the left to keep it straight then out of no where it will jerk to the left and I will have to straighten the car out to keep from going into the other lane. Its not a violent jerk its just as if the tires are grabbing a line in the road... which could be possible since I replaced the tires as well.

The clunking noise isnt as bad since I replaced most of the parts but still when I go over some rough roads/pot holes or a dip while turning I get the clunking noise. For those who have not heard it before, its not really a single or double pop. Best I can describe it is its about 3-4 clunks but not like a transmission clunk sound.

Ill try to record the sound next time I have the car.

It sounds like its coming from the lower front of the car. You can kind of feel it in the pedals/steering wheel but the sound is low to the car.
Old 01-02-2015
Registered!!

riftan is an unknown quantity at this point

It looks like i have the same problem like what scooty has. It clunks randomly on flat road but more likely on uphill. Sounds like empty mineral water or tin can.

Coincidently i did the same like what he did. Replacing the stock strut with KYB and only changed the top strut mount. I did not changed the spring too cushion which i suspect is what causing the issue.

Although i also suspect the top engine mount (dog bone) and the bottom engine mount (hydraulic). And possibly also the steering rack and the sub frame which need to be loosen and tighten back as per manufacturer torque spec.

The sway bar bushing and the link is definitely no. I did some trial by removing alltogether completely but the noise remain.

Just wondering if anybody find the solution to this?
Old 01-24-2015
Registered!!

mfwar1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thaik
Hi,
Recently, I noticed a clunking noise that seems to be coming from the front of the car, precisely on the driver side.

I've replaced about a year ago the lower control arm bushings with ES poly bushings and recently replaced the ball joints and the sway bar links thinking the noise was coming from theses parts, all have been done on both sides.

Now that leaves the tie rods, the strut mounts and probably the shock absorbers itself, going to replace them pretty soon, all worn out now. Tie rods end seems to be visually in good shape, boot not broken, no grease coming out. I can't stay much about the strut mount.

About the noise itself, I can hear it when making right turns because the weight of the shifts to the left, the driver side, of the car. It happens mostly when there are bumps on the road.

Car is a Civic 2004, around 115k miles now, bought last year.

Thanks
From what people are saying so far no-body has come up with a conclusive answer. I am having the same problem, and can't see any problems with the suspension, or isolate the noise itself. Going by the massive amount of work that has been done in this thread (to no avail) is it possible that the metal itself on the chassis is making the noise and all of the 'solutions' are just changing the way the suspension interacts with the chassis? There is a small crease next to the strut mount on my Civic on the side that makes the noise it might suggest fatigue from something moving. It may be just a quirk of the car that can't be taken out. Any help on this would be appreciated but perhaps it's unsolvable.
Old 02-03-2015
Registered!!

Idaho Hick is an unknown quantity at this point

I had an 01 Maxima that had similar problems and I spent a lot of money trying to locate the clunk. I was convinced from the sound and behavior (when it happened) that is was something in the suspension.

It ended up being a bad axle or rather at least one of the CV joints was bad. They flex when the suspension compresses and when the steering turns. It would pop under both of those conditions but did not make the typical pop pop pop sound while turning that I expected.

Something to try.

Mike
Old 02-04-2015
Registered!!

smarko53 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had front noise issues that were driving me crazy! Finally found it to be the tip of the spring in the strut mount broke off.
Old 04-22-2015
Registered!!

Hopefully it's not a chassis related issue.
Old 10-04-2015
Registered!!

**Popping noise has been solved!**

Hey guys, here's a happy update from me since a while.

The popping noise is, in my case, the front left handed steering knuckle that was defective. The hole in which the ball joint is seated was worn out beyond its tolerated clearance, causing the whole ball joint part to move up and down and turning inside the knuckle and would most of the time jam and unjam which caused the popping noise.

In other words, the ball joint didn't do its job properly, the whole part moved rather than the ball itself moving, the proof is that the ball joint (the moving part) itself was still in good shape, it wasn't loose nor did it have any play, like it was when it was new, even the boot was barely worn out.

So there you have it, popping noise has been solved.

However, the other clunking noise coming from the front passenger side is still there despite the fact that I replaced both front ball joints, new bushings (they aren't actually bushings but ball and sockets) and new strut mounts.
I highly recommend replacing the strut mounts, the difference is night and day compared to the old worn out strut mounts.

I replaced those parts with MOOG parts, here there are:
-K90332 (ball joint)
http://www.fme-cat.com/overlays/part...A%20CIVIC&vin=
-K200799 (bushings)
-K90648

They are all MOOG problem solver parts except for the strut mounts, will see how they do in the long run, but I heard good things about them for other cars.
Old 10-06-2015
Registered!!

Scout1 will become famous soon enoughScout1 will become famous soon enough

I know this is an old thread but maybe you guys could help me. I have a Civic but my son has a 1999 Prelude base model. We were putting in a new clutch and I notice any suspension part that had rubber on it was in bad shape so we did a complete front suspension rebuild.Ties rods inner and outer, upper and lower ball joints, end links, upper and lower control arm bushings, struts, and probably some other parts. Had front end aligned at a shop and asked them to give it a really good inspection. They said everything checked out. It has a knock coming from the from end. I have pushed and pulled, jacked and pried everything. It sounds like an engine mount but they check good. I read this thread and it is almost exactly like what I have going on. Do the struts have to be indexed too? I did not do that. I just laid them side to side and swapped the springs over to the new strut. It is driving me nuts and I want it to be safe for him. Thanks for any help. I have also posted on the Prelude forum and hope someone can help me out.
Old 11-14-2015
Registered!!

andrewclark is an unknown quantity at this point

New to the forum. New to civic ownership. My 2012 just started making exactly the sounds that have been so well described here. I only have 40K miles though so if it is CV joints (could that be what another called ball joints or is that different?) that worries me. Like others I'm thinking it just doesn't sound like that. The popping noise reminds me so much of my brother's dual axle boat trailer when we are backing it through the rain channel into his driveway. Lot's of popping and creeking but it seemed normal on that trailer, not on my civic. I did buy this used but it is in such good shape and has been serving me so well the few months I've had is so far without any strange noises or incidents. I'm wishing there were more people able to post their solution rather than all that hasn't worked but I understand the troubleshooting process and it is helpful narrowing down what didn't fix it. If I resolve mine I'll try to post an update.
Old 12-16-2015
Registered!!

CRXTILLIDIE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andrewclark
New to the forum. New to civic ownership. My 2012 just started making exactly the sounds that have been so well described here. I only have 40K miles though so if it is CV joints (could that be what another called ball joints or is that different?) that worries me. Like others I'm thinking it just doesn't sound like that. The popping noise reminds me so much of my brother's dual axle boat trailer when we are backing it through the rain channel into his driveway. Lot's of popping and creeking but it seemed normal on that trailer, not on my civic. I did buy this used but it is in such good shape and has been serving me so well the few months I've had is so far without any strange noises or incidents. I'm wishing there were more people able to post their solution rather than all that hasn't worked but I understand the troubleshooting process and it is helpful narrowing down what didn't fix it. If I resolve mine I'll try to post an update.
I solved this problem by removing my upper strut bar. The bar was to rigid and when the crx is lowered the upper control arm just barely clears the inner fender well. When I would hit a bump the strut bar would do its job and push outward on the struts(and the fender wells). Simultaneously the upper control arm moved up. With the slight change in the fender alignment the upper control arm no longer had room to articulate. Instead it would slam into the inner fender. Removing the stupid strut bar has permanently fixed the banging.
Lowered Honda's shouldn't have strut braces, but every one else had one so I go figured that i must need it. Don't be a lemming.

Last edited by CRXTILLIDIE; 12-16-2015 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-20-2015
Prelude Owner

Originally Posted by CRXTILLIDIE
Lowered Honda's shouldn't have strut braces, but every one else had one so I go figured that i must need it.
Maybe for a CRX but they are fine on Civic's. Can't make a blanket statement for all Honda's because you had an issue with your CRX.
Old 01-25-2016
Registered!!

If you watch this clip at 2:01, there is a big gap on at the bottom where the spring ends on the oem struts. I have check my koni orange and see if that gap is there.

Old 06-09-2016
Ninja II

Black Ninja II is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Suspension front clunking noise, strut mounts?

Hello. I am an owner of an 02 Honda Civic EX. I have been noiticing a clunk in my front left for a couple months. I finally got it to a mechanic today. I popped the hood to find out what could be causing the noise. Any thoughts on what this could be? It looks bad
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160609_155735.jpg
Views:	1988
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	88893   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160609_155730.jpg
Views:	4949
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	88894  
Old 06-10-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

you need new front struts, better off getting the entire assembly, way easier to replace it that way
Old 06-10-2016
Prelude Owner

Originally Posted by Black Ninja II
Hello. I am an owner of an 02 Honda Civic EX. I have been noiticing a clunk in my front left for a couple months. I finally got it to a mechanic today. I popped the hood to find out what could be causing the noise. Any thoughts on what this could be? It looks bad
Wow! Looks like it tore right out. You need new strut mounts.
Old 04-18-2018
Registered!!

ChiveOn is an unknown quantity at this point
I figured it out!

I was having the same problem on a 00 crv. Just replaced the rack and tie rod end. Everything else was tight. I noticed it more when I was barely turning at slow speeds and not as much over bumps. I even jacked it up tried to pry on everything and I got no movement. I couldn't replicate it in the air or on the ground, just when I was driving. Turns out it was the bolt for the upper control arm wasn't fully tight. It was tighter than finger tight but Loose enough that when I would turn it would pop because it was trying to grip but would break loose. This is the 14mm bolt that you access from inside the hood. Created this account just to post this here for anybody in the future. Good luck y'all
Old 01-02-2019
Registered!!

Unixslayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I figured it out!

For all you 8th Gen Civic (2006-2011) owners... I had a clunking sound on my passenger side front wheel. I already installed new struts a year ago, so I know it wasn't a strut issue. I only got the clunk mostly when turning right. Found out it was the upper engine mount. HONDA SERVICE BULLETIN TSB 06-060. If you take a look under your hood at the engine mount, and check for the one inch space between the mount top bracket, and the rubber part of the mount.... there should be a 1 inch space. If there isn't, it means the bracket collapsed into the mount. When this happens, the telemetry of the CV joint is not straight, because the mount is too low, or it is moving up, and down. This is a hydraulic engine mount, and works like a shock. If it fails, you will hear the CV joint sliding in, and out of the tranny slightly making the clunking sound. Honda has admitted that there is a defect in the 2nd Gen engine mount, and made a new 3rd Gen mount that fixes the issue.