General Post issues, questions that are not in the other sub-forums

Placement of jack and jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicN3wb is an unknown quantity at this point
Placement of jack and jack stands?

I've looked at the diagram in the service manual, but honestly I'm still not sure where to put the jack and stands and I want to make sure before trying.

I took some pictures:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 60465
Size:  110.2 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 46620
Size:  115.7 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 48310
Size:  120.2 KB

Would anyone mind showing me where to place the jack and stands?
Old 04-10-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Placement of jack and jack stands?

Less jackstands more hose.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Would you mind elaborating?
Old 04-10-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just you need to wash it I jack it up using the jackpoints at the side and then i put the stands near the lower control arms on the subframe...
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Lol, I agree it needs to be washed. I just bought it a few days ago and figured I'd wait to wash it until I get the work it needs done.

I jack it up using the jackpoints at the side and then i put the stands near the lower control arms on the subframe...
This is what I'm confused about.. Are the jackpoints and stand points visible in my pictures?
Old 04-10-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

The jack should lift from either end of the sides, there's little flanges that stick down and are quite obvious. It's clear you know what those are, because you have a picture of it, lol. (That last picture, the little bit of metal that sticks down a bit lower than the rest with a bolt through it is a jacking point)
The Jack Stands can pretty much go anywhere the car is solid, i.e. the frame or the more popular option, the lower control arms. The control arms at the rear look like big black tubes. i can't recall what the front end looks like, but there's bound to be several good places to put it. Just don't put the stand under anything that looks like a panel or bolted-on component or it might not hold. Lucky for us, Civics are very lightweight cars.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
The jack should lift from either end of the sides]
I shouldn't jack the car up from the front?

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
It's clear you know what those are, because you have a picture of it, lol.
Nope. I just took pictures of the area where the service manual indicated the jack and stands should be placed.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 46392
Size:  122.5 KB

So should I put the jack stands where the red oval is? Does the depression where the blue oval is serve any purpose?

Thanks for your help
Old 04-10-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Red oval is correct. There are four of those on your car, in front of the back wheels, and behind the front wheels. I'm not entirely sure what the depressions are for, but don't jack it up there with your OEM jack.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Most of the videos I've seen online show the jack being up under the front of the car, and then putting the stands on the sides once it's up. Is there a place to put the jack on the front of the car, or should I do what I think you said, which is to jack up one side, put the stand next to the jack, lower, then repeat for the other side?
Old 04-10-2012
Whachya lookin at?

If you have a big enough jack you can use the frame underneath to lift the whole thing up at once instead of lifting from each side.
Old 04-10-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

red oval, for sure. Jack up at the blue circle and you'll bust a hole through your floor

you can also jack up using the subframe, then place the jack stands on those pinch welds (area circled in red). That's what I do.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

If I use the jack on the front of the car, do I put it where the red oval is below?

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 68147
Size:  110.5 KB

Thanks for your help, guys
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

nsxvtec will become famous soon enough

The reinforced areas are for the jack or jack stands. You need to be very careful with what you are doing. If you are not very sure (you sound not very experienced) jacking, properly blocking off the car etc. it could be fatal as has been seen many times before.
Be careful and check to see that the car is really secure when you have it up, before even thinking of going under.
Hydraulic jacks can and do sometimes fail. Stock OEM jacks tend to fall over , especially if not on level surface. Work safe.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Is the area I circled in the last picture the "subframe"? Is that where I can put the jack?
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Yes that is the front jack point. Rear you can use the tow hook. Only use them to jack dont use them for jack stands.
Old 04-10-2012
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i remember when i first got the car i would jack it anywhere on the side lol. needless to say i have a ton of intended spots all over. now i jack from the front middle point and then put stands on the two side points.
Old 04-11-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
i remember when i first got the car i would jack it anywhere on the side lol. needless to say i have a ton of intended spots all over. now i jack from the front middle point and then put stands on the two side points.
One of the very first threads I read on Civicforums was one created by you about denting the floor I think, might have been someone else, but I remember the floor denting for sure. I had to change my brake pads and taught myself how through youtube videos, everything went well except putting the jack in the wrong spot...

I jack mine up off the frame now. I keep bending the pinch welds.
Old 01-26-2017
Registered!!

Dre Cobbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
red oval, for sure. Jack up at the blue circle and you'll bust a hole through your floor

you can also jack up using the subframe, then place the jack stands on those pinch welds (area circled in red). That's what I do.
Do you know what the blue oval leads to. My car has a hole there and I'm not sure if it causes problems
Old 01-27-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

right underneath the driver's side floormat (under the carpet), just to the left, IIRC, of where your right heel would sit. Maybe about where your right heel would sit while driving an MT. Nevertheless, right around that location.

Source: I was a dumbass when I was younger and lowered the car with a jackstand right there. Sealed the new, enlarged, deformed hole with a fiberglass "sandwich" (fiberglass cloth/mat on top and bottom, saturated with fiberglass resin and allowed to cure) and coated both top and bottom with lots of plastidip. That was, I guess I should add, after I hammered the deformed hole as flat as I possibly could
Old 09-12-2020
Registered!!

kuzmavincent is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, I jacked my car up using the welded piece of metal the stand is now on, and put a jack stand on the sub frame (since moved to spot it is on now). I woke up this morning with oil all over the floor, and cannot tell where it came from. Any ideas? The majority of the oil looks like it leaked right where the jack stand was on the sub frame, but the jack stand itself has no oil on it at all. It also doesn't look like typical engine oil, since this car needs an oil change it would be darker used oil... I am at a loss and do not know what is wrong with the car now.

Please help
Old 09-12-2020
Administrator
Administrator

Oof. that's quite a mess. You're gonna have to crawl under and try and trace it all back to where it came from
Old 09-12-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Brake fluid?