Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Slave cylinder mount snapping in half

Old 01-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seboj is an unknown quantity at this point
Slave cylinder mount snapping in half

2005 Honda Civic VP 2-door coupe, 5 speed manual, all stock, currently 180k miles.

So the clutch slave cylinder mounts on a tab on the front of the transmission by 2 bolts. Back in September, the cylinder snapped right between the 2 bolts, and I replaced it with one from Autozone.

It worked fine until mid December, when it snapped again, but this time it sheared a bolt off inside the tab on the transmission, the right side bolt.

Long story short, the mechanic I took the car to to have the bolt extracted flubbed the job (while trying to scam me), and the hole is all FUBARed. The left bolt is holding OK, so rather than replacing the whole tranny because of this stupid hole, I built a steel bracket going from the tranny bolt on the left side, across the top of the cylinder's mount, down to the engine mount bolt on the bottom right. It's not perfect, but it works so far.

There's still some movement from the slave due to all the hydraulic pressure. My question is what keeps causing the slave cylinder to snap? They're obviously made of weak material, but for 2 to go so fast like that, makes me think that the clutch fork isn't going back easy enough, causing the slave to push itself backwards to the point of snapping.

Any ideas?
Old 09-17-2021
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jimperry6315 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Slave cylinder mount snapping in half

i am having the same problem!! These aftermarkets are so cheap i guess. Can you pm me a pic of what you did to solve this. i have broken 2 also. thanks

Last edited by Colin42; 09-17-2021 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Removed email
Old 09-17-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Slave cylinder mount snapping in half

It's been 9 years...
go to a junkyard and get one