Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Cluster lights and needles not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kanaan is an unknown quantity at this point
Cluster lights and needles not working

I've been wanting to change the lights behind my gauge cluster for some time now. So after reading several DIYs, I went ahead and tried last night. I removed the cluster, no problem. Took off the clear plastic, the black plastic, and removed the needles. After removing the paint from the back of the plastic, I put it all back together the way I took it apart. When I plugged in the blue and green wire, however, none of the needles move, and the lights on the left are not working.
What could have possibly gone wrong? Is this fixable, or should I start calling salvage yards?

Last edited by kanaan; 09-30-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cluster lights and needles not working

usually 01-02 civic clusters the needles should pull out and go back in no problem. ive done many clusters and never had problems so long as you put the needles in exactly the same orientation as they came out and do not press them down too hard (there has to be some space between the needle and cluster otherwise they will not move). the 03-05 led clusters are not able to be dismantled without breaking. and in rare cases, the 01-02 needle might break if you pull the metal pin out with the needle.