Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'02 Civic LX Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Optimi is an unknown quantity at this point
'02 Civic LX Water Leak

Water accumlates in my car, on the driver side, when it rains. It isn't a heck of a lot, but enough to leave the car smelling moldy afterwards. Water appears to be seeping in through the bottom somehow, as there is no water on the rubber mat itself, only underneath it. Looking for any advice on what it might be?

Contrary to the better advice of my father, I brought it in to a dealer, who couldn't find anything with the first $100/hour, and wanted another hour to rip out the carpet... to which I said, no thanks.

At roughly ten years old, and 191K on it already, I am wondering whether I should look into selling the car used or on a trade-in. It still performs amazingly, and I can get over 700K/hwy on a fuel tank. I figure it has at least a 100K left in it, but I am just not sure if all these problems are worth it. So any advice on this front is appreciated too.

Thanks.

Last edited by Optimi; 05-31-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: '02 Civic LX Water Leak

Check to see if the drain tube has become undone. It's in the driver's side pillar. Look under the dash at the pillar.

Here's a pic I took awhile ago of the driver's side tube:
Name:  waterdrain.jpg
Views: 2846
Size:  63.6 KB

Sorry about the fuzzy pic, crappy phone cam. And sorry about the angle, it's hard to get your head and a camera under the dash together.

Last edited by lazlong; 05-31-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2011
Registered!!

Thanks. This is useful. I will check it out in short order.

In the meantime, this is what the leaks looks like. Perhaps the pattern might give an indication of the leak source.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110526_073709.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	80928  
Old 05-31-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Yeah, that's the drain tube leaking. You have 4 total- 2 up front, 2 in back (just pull back the side covers in the trunk).
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

Sorry lazlong, but I need a bit of guidance to find these tubes... It is not clear from the picture.

We soaked the car with a hose for a good hour, and nothing showed up inside the car. It appears to alone happen when it rains.

When we removed the carpet, we noticed a cap leading to the sub-frame was a bit loose, and there was water residue in the sub-frame. Do you think it is possible that water could have backed-up through that cap?
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

I don't think that cap is the problem but, maybe.

To find the drain tube:

Name:  draintube1.jpg
Views: 2486
Size:  61.2 KB
See the kick panel with the hood release and the pocket with switches.

Name:  draintube2.jpg
Views: 2305
Size:  50.9 KB
Look above and kind of in front of(front of the car) the kick panel.

Name:  draintube3.jpg
Views: 2423
Size:  88.1 KB
In the last pic you can see the top of the kick panel that you see in the other two pics below my hand. And that electrical above my hand is behind the pocket and switches. I'm pointing at the tube, it's running down the frame.

Laz's tip 'o the week: Don't solder with flip-flops on.
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

Haha, thanks for the tip Laz.

Does your car happen to have a moonroof by any chance (that might be the moonroof button in the pictures)? From looking at the Civic manual, it appears that only the model with the moonroof has this drain tube, but I could be wrong.

I will check it out when I get back to the car.
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

Yes, moonroof.

They should all have a drain tube. If you bought used somebody may have removed it at sometime.
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice sandals mon
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

Yea, I for sure don't have that drain tube.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110614_170445.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	81039  
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a moonroof?
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

^^ LX doesn't have a moonroof.

@ optimi: I'm stumped right now, I'll get back to ya.
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Laz I'm pretty sure that's a moonroof drain and he won't have it unless he has a moonroof. Look underneath the car for any kind of floor damage you might see. Also check to make sure the plastic door panels are intact... I'm stumped too... Remove the kickplate to see if there is any moister underneath it. I'm betting it has something to do with your floor though If you really can't find it you may have to remove the carpet to see where it's coming from.
Old 07-16-2011
Registered!!

MarkoPollo is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that it's probably coming in through the floor. Maybe try leaving your car under a sprinkler for a few hours and see if you get the water. If you get the wet, its a leak issue, if it stays dry its probablly coming through the bottom.

It could be a tiny hole in the floor and the moisture seeps in when your tire kicks up the rain. Also check your wheel-well i had a leaky GTI that had a hole in the rear passenger wheel-well and it took months to figure it out.
Old 07-25-2011
Registered!!

MarkoPollo is an unknown quantity at this point

give us the update hommie.
Old 07-25-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if its summer and youre using a/c, the vent tube could be clogged and backing up into the cabin. check under the car and if you dont see water coming out when the a/c is on, the tube is clogged.