Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

03 ex coupee Auto W/ABS Axle shaft ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MECCA60 is an unknown quantity at this point
03 ex coupee Auto W/ABS Axle shaft ?

I did see the DIY on how to remove, but wanted to ask:

I have a slow/intermittent minor sound on stop/start acceleration that sound remotely like what i would have called u-joint 'slap' in my detroit auto past, there are no other obvious sounds and no vibrations at speed or any time and car runs well but concerning me that maybe a CV (or both) are the issue?...

Questions and thanks in advance for tolerance with nube probably in wrong section of forum asking questions!!!

HOW TO CHECK CV's to insure they are OK or serviceable???
  • Is it easy to verify CV operation, I did brakes recently and the CV boots/shafts look clean and the car only has 67K original miles
  • Is it True that all i have to do is shake each shaft by hand and look for play or the clunking sound in either or??
  • Could the sound i am hearing on stop/start accelration be normal 'play'? doubted this but the car is new2me...
Thanks again for any tips/advice on this set of questions...
Old 05-03-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 03 ex coupee Auto W/ABS Axle shaft ?

Usually CV joints pop when at full lock or turnig when closing to its life. Naturally, don't use the full lock while driving.
Old 05-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

The axle should have minimum play. Too much play and it's going bad. Yes, you can check it by hand.
Old 05-11-2011
Registered!!

Hey thanks for the replies I DID check and they (CV's) are fine clean and boots look good > all other suspension components also look clean and good. turned sterring to lock and no noises driving around circle eother way...

However, I HAVE SINCE been able to isolate the noise a bit further, let me revise my question noting the following:

When I shift the car into Drive or Revearse there is a noticeable "engagment sound or slap/clank" This also occurrs occasionally after coming to a STOP and restarting with a normal pedal engagement in say a stop/start traffic jam...

SO, it appears the ?trans? may have an issue where it clunks into gear from neautral/park or when the car is going through normal stop & starts...

Make sense?? any tips???

Otherwise the car runs drives perfect w/ 67000 miles , and shifts are SMOOTH 2,3,4th all good quiet and smooth. If i rev the engine in PARK htere is Not too much engine movement in the mounts and NO odd noises ONLY as noted in the stop/start and or engaging gear shift
Just a clank/SLAP intermittent when stop/start or engaging the gear shift to drive and or revearse. you can clearly hear the clank/slap

Thanks agian

MECCA60
Old 05-12-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

check engine mounts
Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

That was it, front /lower was 'torn' inside didn't see it until i really looked...

Thanks, Great Forum!

Regards
Mecca60