Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C ISSUE please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keloke2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
A/C ISSUE please HELP!

Just got a 2002 civic EX. Long story short, mechanic recharged Freon and compressor wouldn't start when pressing the A/C button. Some how he bypass a connection and compressor worked. The ac works perfect super cold in minutes. When he reconnected the wires the way it was the A/C would not work by pressing the A/C button (button lights up). He checked the wiring and came up with a conclusion that a device(another thermal protector? thermostat??) behind the glove compartment that communicate with the front thermal protector is not working. I'm just super frustrated with this issue. Been going back and forth with mechanics and nothing. Checked relays, and fuses Everything good with that. What exactly is behind the glove compartment? Any suggestions? please help. Thanks in advance
Old 05-02-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A/C ISSUE please HELP!

possibly a bad temp/thermal sensor. when it works normally, the sensor prevents the a/c compressor from running in freezing temperatures. but if its malfunctioning, it might think a warm day is actually a cold day.
Old 05-02-2011
Registered!!

you mean coolant temp sensor? thermostat sensor?
Old 05-02-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

no its an a/c specific sensor. techincal term is "compressor thermal protector" and its located on top of the compressor where the ground wire is. i think you need to evacuate the refrigerant before replacing it.
Old 05-03-2011
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

I have dealt with this exact problem.
He bypassed the pressure switch by connecting the two wires of the pressure switch. That makes the AC run but there is no compressor on/off regulation and can lead to other very serious problems.
Do not return to that mechanic!!!

The thermal protector sensor will shut down the compressor if it's temperature
becomes too hot for normal operation. I don't remember if it's designed to bypass when the wires are crossed.
Yes it does. There are two wires. Check your FSM!

Nathan
Old 05-03-2011
Registered!!

Oh ok Yea I see the thermal protector its a like a cylinder with at balance liquid on top. How can I check if thats Ok? before replacing. And what exactly is FMS?
Old 05-03-2011
2001 Civic LX Sedan

FSM= factory service manual
The FSM has no diagnostic for the thermal protector.
Old 05-04-2011
Registered!!

sorry im just confuse what the thermal protector really is..any pics around? Ive been reading lots if same cases and i keep seeing "faulty temp switch attached to the evaporator". anyone with a pic or diagram. cant seem to find it. Want to fix this once and for all. Thanks for the help ..!!
Old 05-04-2011
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Originally Posted by keloke2002
sorry im just confuse what the thermal protector really is..any pics around? Ive been reading lots if same cases and i keep seeing "faulty temp switch attached to the evaporator". anyone with a pic or diagram. cant seem to find it. Want to fix this once and for all. Thanks for the help ..!!
The thermal protector is the button looking temp sensor located on the top of the AC compressor with two wires.

The evaporator temp sensor is located in the bottom of the evaporator housing which is located under the dashboard to the left of the glove box.
Old 05-04-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Biscuit
I have dealt with this exact problem.
He bypassed the pressure switch by connecting the two wires of the pressure switch. That makes the AC run but there is no compressor on/off regulation and can lead to other very serious problems.
Do not return to that mechanic!!!

The thermal protector sensor will shut down the compressor if it's temperature
becomes too hot for normal operation. I don't remember if it's designed to bypass when the wires are crossed.
Yes it does. There are two wires. Check your FSM!

Nathan
The solution to that problem was the thermal protector?
Old 05-07-2011
Registered!!

bump.. my own thread.lol
Old 05-08-2011
2001 Civic LX Sedan

The solution to that problem was the thermal protector?
No. The solution to that problem was a bad pressure switch. The wires to it were crossed by a lazy person to keep the AC operating which led to blown out seals and a seized compressor.

Go to the ackits.com forum for some great info about automotive AC.
Old 05-11-2011
Registered!!

bigheadmark is an unknown quantity at this point

i too am having a problem with me A/C...my A/C initially works, and blows cold, but after running it for a few minutes, it stops blowing cold air....if I leave it off for a few minutes, and then turn it back on, the A/C blows cold again for a only a couple minutes....could it be a bad thermal protector?
Old 05-13-2011
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Originally Posted by bigheadmark
i too am having a problem with me A/C...my A/C initially works, and blows cold, but after running it for a few minutes, it stops blowing cold air....if I leave it off for a few minutes, and then turn it back on, the A/C blows cold again for a only a couple minutes....could it be a bad thermal protector?
Go here and get some help.

http://www.autoacforum.com/
Old 05-13-2011
Registered!!

bigheadmark is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks!
Old 05-13-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Here's some photos from the FSM to help. Attached are four pics. And yes, the FSM does have troubleshooting and replacement for both parts.

Pic #1, thermal_prot_chk.png, How to check the Thermal Protector.
Pic #2, thermal_prot_repl.png, How to replace the Thermal Protector.
Pic #3, evap_sensor_chk.png, How to check the Evaporator Temperature Sensor.
Pic #4, evap_sensor_repl.png, How to replace the Evaporator Temperature Sensor.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	thermal_prot_chk.png
Views:	28695
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	80842   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermal_prot_repl.jpg
Views:	9530
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	80843   Click image for larger version

Name:	evap_sensor_chk.png
Views:	11617
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	80844   Click image for larger version

Name:	evap_sensor_repl.jpg
Views:	20724
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	80845  
Old 05-14-2011
Registered!!

Great! Source . thanks! ill give it try myself..

Is the thermal protector only available from the honda dealer?
Old 05-14-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Great! Source . thanks! ill give it try myself..

Is the thermal protector only available from the honda dealer?
No problem!

I think you should feel free to test the thermal protector... but replacing it is going to be a pain in the *** if it's bad (Cause you need to evacuate the refrigerant, and before you can recharge it you need to pull a vacuum, so you're going to need a set of manifold gauges and a vacuum pump... if you don't have the equipment, you can prob have a local shop evacuate the old refrigerant, then you go do the repair, and then have them recharge it afterwards).
Old 06-30-2011
Registered!!

hey thanks for the help guys! help is appreciated. For anyone else with this type of problem let me tell you that the cause of the A/C button not activating the compressor was a loose ground cable.! so check everything you can and have this in mind.
Old 12-28-2015
Registered!!

wasin105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got a 2002 civic EX. Long story short, mechanic recharged Freon and compressor wouldn't start when pressing the A/C button. Some how he bypass a connection and compressor worked. The ac works perfect super cold in minutes. When he reconnected the wires the way it was the A/C would not work by pressing the A/C button (button lights up). He checked the wiring and came up with a conclusion that a device(another thermal protector? thermostat??) behind the glove compartment that communicate with the front thermal protector is not working. I'm just super frustrated with this issue. Been going back and forth with mechanics and nothing. Checked relays, and fuses Everything good with that. What exactly is behind the glove compartment? Any suggestions? please help. Thanks in advance
Hi keloke2002,
I just have the same problem. A a/c compressor clutch won't engaged but if i bypass 12 to compressor clutch is working fine. I just wonder you said check the ground. Could you please be more specific ? Where is your ground loose located at? TIA
My ground to the compressor clutch is intact.
Old 12-28-2015
Registered!!

wasin105 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey thanks for the help guys! help is appreciated. For anyone else with this type of problem let me tell you that the cause of the A/C button not activating the compressor was a loose ground cable.! so check everything you can and have this in mind.
Hi keloke2002,
I just have the same problem. A a/c compressor clutch won't engaged but if i bypass 12 to compressor clutch is working fine. I just wonder you said check the ground. Could you please be more specific ? Where is your ground loose located at? TIA
My ground to the compressor clutch is intact.
Old 06-28-2016
Registered!!

2000CivicPOS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by green01civic
Here's some photos from the FSM to help. Attached are four pics. And yes, the FSM does have troubleshooting and replacement for both parts.

Pic #1, thermal_prot_chk.png, How to check the Thermal Protector.
Pic #2, thermal_prot_repl.png, How to replace the Thermal Protector.
Pic #3, evap_sensor_chk.png, How to check the Evaporator Temperature Sensor.
Pic #4, evap_sensor_repl.png, How to replace the Evaporator Temperature Sensor.

Hope this helps!
So does the system need to be discharged to change the thermal protector?
Old 06-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 2000CivicPOS
Yes< if you look at the second picture from the manual, it says to evacuate the system before changing the thermal protector.
Old 06-28-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GusBuz
Yes< if you look at the second picture from the manual, it says to evacuate the system before changing the thermal protector.
Thanks,I did see it after posting.
The manual image seems to have directions a bit *** backwards there,telling to remove it,blah blah bl;ah,before it tells to discharge the system.
Ugh.
Old 06-28-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

No it does not... If you can reach it to replace it.

If you have to remove the compressor and open up lines to reach it, then it would need discharged. I think most can be reached without having to do that much work though.
Old 07-05-2016
Registered!!

Question Re: A/C ISSUE please HELP!

Originally Posted by ezone
No it does not... If you can reach it to replace it.

If you have to remove the compressor and open up lines to reach it, then it would need discharged. I think most can be reached without having to do that much work though.

Thanks for your input.
That was easy enough,BUT...
I see the top of the sensor either has a coating or it should be metal and has built up sludge that needs removal. I'm thinking it needs to be clear metal for good contact with ground plate. It's awesome too that the system didn't need discharge,but man,what a crappy setup. If I can't get this to make it right,I'm going to look at the switch on the A/C panel. This thing has proper freon,pressure,everything looks good except it only gets cool in cloudy or cool weather and the sensor itself checked good,continuity when just sitting there. One I pulled appeared that the person had filed the top of the surface and had good clean contact. That's what I'm trying to do,but it almost feels rubbery. I really do not think it is rubber as I mentioned. Clean metal contact. BTW,I'm in FL. No A/C is unacceptable. It's frikkin torture. Maybe I need to look elsewhere since it does get cooler than it is now. I also have changed out ECM (for something unrelated) and evap thermostat. No change.
Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your input.
That was easy enough,BUT...
I see the top of the sensor either has a coating or it should be metal and has built up sludge that needs removal. I'm thinking it needs to be clear metal for good contact with ground plate. It's awesome too that the system didn't need discharge,but man,what a crappy setup. If I can't get this to make it right,I'm going to look at the switch on the A/C panel. This thing has proper freon,pressure,everything looks good except it only gets cool in cloudy or cool weather and the sensor itself checked good,continuity when just sitting there. One I pulled appeared that the person had filed the top of the surface and had good clean contact. That's what I'm trying to do,but it almost feels rubbery. I really do not think it is rubber as I mentioned. Clean metal contact. BTW,I'm in FL. No A/C is unacceptable. It's frikkin torture. Maybe I need to look elsewhere since it does get cooler than it is now. I also have changed out ECM (for something unrelated) and evap thermostat. No change.
Thanks again.
The thermal protector is usually glued into the hole with Silicone (RTV), that's the rubbery stuff you feel.
If it's got continuity it's probably good, unless it goes open circuit when hot and causes the compressor clutch to disengage.

What happens when the AC doesn't get cold----Is the compressor no longer engaged at that time?
Check air gap of the clutch plate.
Old 07-05-2016
Registered!!

The thermal protector is usually glued into the hole with Silicone (RTV), that's the rubbery stuff you feel.
If it's got continuity it's probably good, unless it goes open circuit when hot and causes the compressor clutch to disengage.

What happens when the AC doesn't get cold----Is the compressor no longer engaged at that time?
Check air gap of the clutch plate.

It starts out cold,then gets hot as the car gets up to temp.
On hot days,it starts as barely even cold though,which is almost any day in summer.
It very much seems temperature related somehow,meaning outside air temp.,engine temp.,combination of both. The rubbery substance is on the top of the sensor. I haven't pulled it out of its seating. It feels rubbery,but it could be old old sludge too. Been trying to file it down to metal top. The rubber on top,I'm not sure what it actually is,but it isn't necessary to be silicone there. As I look straight down at sensor in the compressor,the top of the sensor is blackened. The edges around the top show metal,meaning,all around the top edge metal is exposed a small fraction. Also,being in FL,the A/C does get cool in the winter,and does run a bit cooler in evening or on cloudy days. During the dead heat of the day and sunny,it's not even really cold.
It gets good and cool during wintery months. This is goofy.
Old 07-05-2016

It starts out cold,then gets hot as the car gets up to temp.
On hot days,it starts as barely even cold though,which is almost any day in summer.
It very much seems temperature related somehow,meaning outside air temp.,engine temp.,combination of both.

Also,being in FL,the A/C does get cool in the winter,and does run a bit cooler in evening or on cloudy days. During the dead heat of the day and sunny,it's not even really cold.
It gets good and cool during wintery months. This is goofy.
Seems like you've said this already and repeating it isn't getting you any closer to figuring out what wrong.

You're gonna have to get out of the car, open the hood and LOOK for yourself at what's happening when it quits cooling.

Could be low on freon, or any of 3 dozen other possibilities.
Old 07-05-2016
Registered!!

Seems like you've said this already and repeating it isn't getting you any closer to figuring out what wrong.

You're gonna have to get out of the car, open the hood and LOOK for yourself at what's happening when it quits cooling.

Could be low on freon, or any of 3 dozen other possibilities.
Did you even read all of it? JFC.
I hate these forums full of *******s.
In winter,BEING IN FL,WINTER ONLY GOES INTO 60S,IT WORKS FINE.
GETS COOL. IN EVENING,CLOUDY,COOLS BETTER. DEAD HEAT OF DAY. WORKS LIKE CRAP. NO COOLING.
WORKS COOL. NO LEAKS. FREON GOOD. PRESSURE GOOD.
BASICALLY,THE ****ING THING CHECKS GOOD,JUST CRAPPY DURING HOT WEATHER. THE ****ING THING IS COLD. NO LEAKS. GOOD PRESSURE. FREON FINE,FULL,@PROPER PRESSURE.
THE SYSTEM IS FULLY INTACT,JUST DOES NOT DO WELL DURTING SUMMER.
THERE IS NO LEAK. PRESSURE CHECKS GOOD. EVENING OR CLOUDY DAYS,IT WORKS WELL. IT ****ING GETS COLD.
GETS COOL. IN EVENING,CLOUDY,COOLS BETTER. DEAD HEAT OF DAY. WORKS LIKE CRAP. NO COOLING.
BASICALLY,THE ****ING THING CHECKS GOOD,JUST CRAPPY DURING HOT WEATHER. THE ****ING THING IS COLD. NO LEAKS. GOOD PRESSURE. FREON FINE,FULL,@PROPER PRESSURE.
THERE IS NO LEAK. PRESSURE CHECKS GOOD. EVENING OR CLOUDY DAYS,IT WORKS WELL. IT ****ING GETS COLD.

Quick Reply: A/C ISSUE please HELP!