Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car stalls after the dash lights come on and the gauges jerk around abruptly

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glenn... is an unknown quantity at this point
Car stalls after the dash lights come on and the gauges jerk around abruptly

Hey guys,

I've ran a couple searches tonight, im getting some contradicting information. So, i made an account and decided to start a new thread!

My civic has developed an issue with stalling abruptly. Typically, the ABS light comes on, the radio lights start flicking, the music playing (from the CD player) starts slowing down and stuttering, the headlights dim, until finally the gauges start jerking around abruptly while the engine bogs down to a stall in a fashion similar to running out of gas: all while I’m cruising down the road at 55mph.

After I come to a rolling stop, the engine will not turn over. At this point the symptoms are similar to a dead battery: I turn the ignition key to a symphony of clicking of relays.

After a few more turns of the key, there is no power; the dome light doesn’t even turn on. But, if i let it sit for a few minutes I seem to get full power, not enough to turn over the motor but enough to pop the clutch. However, less than a quarter mile later it stalls again.
Rewind six months ago: I took the car to the dealership to fix my air conditioning. It was summer time, I wanted to be lazy ;P

A month riding around with working air conditioning I experienced the stalling issue for the first time. However, turning off the A/C as soon as the symptoms arose would instantly fix the issue. This happened somewhat frequently, usually once or twice a week depending on how much I was running the A/C.

Fast forward a month ago and a half ago, every once and a while the car would simply not start. This would be at random times: after its been sitting all night, after coming out of the grocery store… it didn’t seem to matter if the engine was warm or not. Popping the clutch would get the car running and I wouldn’t experience the issue for a couple days.

So, in my mind the battery must have been at fault. Considering it was at least 3 years old, it was in the car when I bought it. Hell, it said it was made for Honda, that thing could have been stock! I figured it must not be holding a charge very well.

So I replaced the battery, and the problem seemed to be solved. No issues, until last night.
At this point, I’ve pulled the battery. The voltmeter reads 10.8 volts on the bench. That seems a little low, but I feel like that should be enough juice to at least run the dome lights. I'm not completely convinced it’s a failing alternator, but that was my first suspicion. However, I checked the alternator belt and it’s tight. The battery terminals look pretty clean, I’ve defiantly ran vehicles with more corroded battery terminals. I’m kind of thinking igniter/ECU/Coil, but I’m not sure.

…Any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all
Re: Car stalls after the dash lights come on and the gauges jerk around abruptly

That's a tough one. I would check the alternator and all of the grounds and wiring.
Old 01-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glenn... is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Car stalls after the dash lights come on and the gauges jerk around abruptly

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I tried a few things today, I'm leaning towards the alternator or possibly the battery cables being at fault.

I charged the battery, afterwards the voltmeter read 13.0v. I dropped the battery back in, after turning the key on, voltage on the battery dropped to 12.8. Turning the motor over dropped the battery voltage to 12.3v.

Running the engine at 2k did not show an increase at the battery on the voltmeter. This leads me to believe I have a problem at the alternator or between the alternator and the battery.

Also, the battery light illuminated when I started the motor. Further research indicates this signals a failing alternator.